Blog Entries

Will the awaited Transformers ride use the IOA Spiderman ride technology ?

Examining the upcoming Transformers ride at Universal Singapore. Will it use the Islands Of Adventure's Spiderman ride technology? Could be!

I think it's fair to say that most theme park fans consider the Spider-Man Ride at Islands of Adventure one of the best rides in the world. For many, it's even THE best ride in the world. Now, how good of news would it be if a totally NEW ride using the same technology was coming soon? That would be a great news, wouldn't it? Well, if all that I've been told is true, this new ride should open at Universal Singapore in 2011 and will be the long-awaited Transformers ride.

Universal Singapore is opening early next year, probably in February or March, but as is often the case when Disney or Universal opens a new theme park, they keep one big E-Ticket to open one or two years after the main opening, just to re-boost the new park. In the case of Universal Singapore it will be the totally new Transformers ride in Sci-Fi City land. And one year later, in 2012, the Transformers ride will open in Universal Hollywood in the former Backdraft building.

All the news I have about it from my good sources seems to confirm that the Transformers ride will use the same technology as the Spider-Man ride at IOA i.e a vehicle mounted on a simulation platform moving in real decor with huge rear projection and all in 3D. The first Spider-Man ride was designed for Universal by Landmark Entertainment, but apparently it seems that this time the creative guys at Universal are designing the Transformers ride by themselves. They will create brand new software for the ride or they will "adapt" the Spider-Man program to the Transformers ride. Also, the new ride will benefit from enhancement in high definition 3D technology.

It's always better to wait for confirmation, but the fact is that using the Spider-Man technology on a Transformers ride is probably the best choice for Universal. Transformers' robots would be difficult to create as Audio-Animatronics, especially when they transform themselves, and a 3D projection would be definitely the easiest way to resolve the problem with a spectacular, and even frightening, result. Just think about one of these robotics arms popping out of the screen, or a rocket launched by one of them as we can see in the rendering above... Which doesn't mean that no Transformers robot can't be expected as AAs. They could do it more easily as long as the robot is not transforming itself and it seems that the ride will also feature two-story tall robots going at it all around you...

Another question is: will they add new effects that were not included, technically speaking, in the Spider-Man ride? Well, it now may be important to remember that the Transformers ride will be build at Universal Hollywood in the former Backdraft building....which, as everybody knows, was a real "pyrotechnic" attraction. Which means that all the gas installation that would be needed to create fire and flames effect are already there - and God knows that there was really a LOT of fire in the Backdraft attraction! So, can we expect pyrotechnic effects in the future Transformers ride? Although it's my own pure speculation, i think we can bet on this, even if it is just for the pleasure. Let's say that there will be a real logic for Universal to recycle their gas installation to add spectacular effects in this new ride.

Jump to Disney and More to read the full article with additional info on this highly anticipated ride. Then return here to let us know what you think. What sort of ride technology would you like to see? Should a Transformers ride be built state-side?:

Disney and more: Will the awaited Transformers ride use the IOA Spiderman ride technology ?

• Future Animator

Re: Will the awaited Transformers ride use the IOA Spiderman ride technology ?

OMG!! I would love to see that happening! I never rode spiderman, but from what I've heard it is one of the coolest rides ever. Just looking at the art work for Transformers is amazing.

If your ride vehicle doesn't transform, I will be disappointed

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm totally geeking out. I love the concept for this ride and I sincerely hope that it DOES use the Spiderman ride technology (or some upgrade of it).

Since Universal Hollywood doesn't have a Spiderman ride yet, I hope they DO get this one! Fantastic!

-Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Boat shoes all day long

I have been on Spider Man at IOA and it is the illest. If Transformers comes to Universal in Hollywood and is even half as cool, this guy will attend that park one more time.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Iron-Clad Allie

I had posted a thread on this subject earlier this year - Universal's "Transformers" Ride Concept Art/How Will Ride Compare w/ IOA's Spiderman? Took a poll as well.

According to what I've heard, the coming Transformers at Universal Studios Hollywood should incorporate technology from both the Spiderman and Harry Potter rides.

We should be looking forward to an upgraded expansion of mechanical tech and visual/audio effects that make the ride unparalelled. To think that we are finally getting an EMV (Enhanced Motion Vehicle) with an operable on-board control panel along with an interactive 3-D / animitronic environ! This will be a first for the West Coast, and more specifically California!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Wow this is gonna be awesome!

• DCA FTW!

Schweeet!!!
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Banned User

Can't go wrong with Transformers! That's a sure ticket seller...for almost ALL ages!

• Banned User

FYI.. Universal Studios Japan also features the Spiderman ride. its not exclusive to Islands of Adventure.

People keep saying that this new attraction would take over the backdraft attraction. I really do not see how a full size darkride with the technology of Spiderman would fit in such a small building. The backdraft building is not very big unless they gut out the other soundstages that are connected to the backdraft attraction.

now i have not been to Universal studios in a few years but is the special effect soundstage still being used as an attraction? that uses a good chunk of the structure. If it is then they would have to remove that attraction as well. If that is the case then they are basically removing one attraction that fits perfectly within the studio theme and one that everyone has enjoyed for years. It is the one attraction that has constantly seen changes.

i don't now why but i have these wierd suspicion that Transformers is goin to be a moving simulator in front of live and projected images with minimal track movement.

backdraftbuilding
    Last edited by Baloo; 11-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Wait... So your saying that there is no more Backdraft ride? when did this happen? If they can make Transformers even close to Backdraft you can count me in..

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

The ride is actually employing the "spiderman" vehicles with a different body on them. It will also employ moving 3D movie technology. It will have huge robots and other special effects.. as far as the floor space.. think in more than one dimension... This ride is Spiderman kicked up a notch or two. Thats all i'm saying.
    Last edited by RideEngineer; 11-14-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Dubai is not that far from Singapore? It's VERY far. They're on opposite sides of Asia.