The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure photographed in November 2008:
    Universal Orlando features two theme parks, one of which is the superbly themed and detailed Islands of Adventure, composed of 6 distinct areas around a central lake. The Lost Continent area can be considered as three smaller sub-areas woven together with the common thread of conceptions of legendary places.

Entry Sign:

Mythos Restaurant:
    The first sub-area is broadly themed to Atlantis and classical mythology. This full-service restaurant is part of that theme and is located within a series of rocky caverns and turrets on the central lake. Its unique interior is a masterwork of fantasy and makes it one of the most transportive themed eateries I have ever seen.

Poseidon's Fury:
    Also in the same theme as Mythos is this attraction, a walk-through show in a series of special-effects theaters that tells the story of the 'Escape From The Lost City.' It is housed in a building that looks like a ruined temple, with a landscape of water and fire complete with a giant hand-and-trident statue that hints at the theme of the show within.

Treasures of Poseidon:
    This gift shop further extends the Atlantis theme of the area.

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Stunt Show:
    The second sub-area features an Arabian theme and its attraction is this special-effects stunt show in a shaded outdoor theater with an exotic entrance and set.

Shopping and Dining:
    The Sindbad theater is reached through a richly detailed Arabian village with shops and dining.

Dueling Dragons:
    The third sub-area has a dark European medieval legend theme and features this double-tracked suspended rollercoaster with a foreboding castle as its queue and loading building. This area and attraction, along with the adjacent former Flying Unicorn small rollercoaster, are currently being altered to fit in a new area under construction, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so these photos are obsolete.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by geomorph; 11-20-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Re: The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure - Pictures

Wow!!

Great pictures, IOA has to be my favorite park I've been to and you capture it beautifully. Thanks for the awesome pictures!

• Applause Apple Sauce

Great photos, many thanks!

Probably the best themed land in the U.S. Shame it's been downsized. The Enchanted Oak and dragon statues were two of my favorite pieces of scenery.

JTnOrl, do you have pictures of the Enchanted Oak or dragon statues? I never visited this park before the Wizarding World started construction so I have not seen them. Feel free to link them in this thread if you have them!