Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Review (Contains Spoilers)

i need to go on this ride. thanks!
    oh! and the mirror of erised isnt supposed to do anything special, its just a mirror. its purpose is to show "your deepest and most desperate desire of our hearts" and when you look in it you see you in the castle, being that your deepest desire is to be at Hogwarts and it shows you there.. so in away it works..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i'm so excited, but now kinda scared i won't fit into the restraint system when we head to Orlando for HHN this year...same for my husband, we're both fluffies and if we can't fit into the ride its going to be a major disappointment
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    Thanks Bill for the AWESOME report!!
    My pleasure!
    On another site, one poster said his favorite animatronic was aragog. So I'm assuming that he wasn't working when you rode.
    I sure hope so! I'll be riding again today and tomorrow, so I'll let you know if anything has changed since my first experience.
    I'm a "techie," so I'd love to hear any other details you may have about the ride system and the animatronics. The dragon, for example: I've seen a very dark video of the ride and saw the encounter with its head. It seemed pretty intense and close! Are there any other physical elements? Does it pop up. Or do you run into it?
    The dragon is very intense, and is very close. It literally is only a foot or two in front of you. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking though... physical elements on the dragon itself? There is a pop-up of the wing, and the head moves... I believe the head is on a Kuka arm itself. But it is very close.
    Could you describe the whomping Willow in more detail? I ask not only because I'm a massive "bot-nerd." But also because I'm interested in how Uni is getting these physical effects to close to the vehicle without jeopardizing guest safety due to a faulty stepper encoder or something similar.
    Well, by all accounts, it seems that Universal IS jeopardizing guest safety if something were to be faulty... no, I highly doubt that. But it sure seems like it. The tree itself is gigantic, and it appears to be made of multiple smaller Kuka arms, or some other type of robotic arms. I am very certain that the tree's limbs move within the ride envelope... I am assuming some new type of technology or new programming logic has been developed to link the location of the animationics with the ride system arm location so one will not hit another, although I don't know that for certain. But that is your answer. This ride throws everything you know about ride clearances out the window.
    With regard to the ride system, Are the benches always attached to an arm or is there any indication that they detach for the unload/load process?
    Good question. Honestly I didn't even think about that. I'll have to see... but off hand, I don't see why they would detach.
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by HelloMyLovely View Post
    i need to go on this ride. thanks!
    oh! and the mirror of erised isnt supposed to do anything special, its just a mirror. its purpose is to show "your deepest and most desperate desire of our hearts" and when you look in it you see you in the castle, being that your deepest desire is to be at Hogwarts and it shows you there.. so in away it works..
    Ah, I see. Logically it makes sense, but how did you find this piece of information out?
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    i'm so excited, but now kinda scared i won't fit into the restraint system when we head to Orlando for HHN this year...same for my husband, we're both fluffies and if we can't fit into the ride its going to be a major disappointment
    Don't fret, the queue is fantastic on its own. And a little birdie told me there might be a solution a little further down the road. But I can't confirm that yet, so don't get your hopes up on riding it. My best advice is to just change your mindset... Just be happy if you'll get though the queue to begin with... and if you get on the ride, it's just icing on the cake. The queue really is THAT good.
    -Bill

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well, by all accounts, it seems that Universal IS jeopardizing guest safety if something were to be faulty... no, I highly doubt that. But it sure seems like it. The tree itself is gigantic, and it appears to be made of multiple smaller Kuka arms, or some other type of robotic arms. I am very certain that the tree's limbs move within the ride envelope... I am assuming some new type of technology or new programming logic has been developed to link the location of the animationics with the ride system arm location so one will not hit another, although I don't know that for certain. But that is your answer. This ride throws everything you know about ride clearances out the window.
    Great... now I am running through my head potential law suits... *sigh* And I was hoping that wouldn't be the case...
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• World Traveler

Thanks so much for the great review. It's the best I've read so far!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I can't wait to ride this in July!

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well, although it's supposed to be web, it's actually just water, but it is very convincing.
    Thanks

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Some updates: They are no longer having you rubber-band your flip flops to your feet. Just hold on to them or sit on them.
    -Bill

• Banned User

This sounds awesome, but the wait times will likely be horrific. I will wait til the off-season, so you guys have at it.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    This sounds awesome, but the wait times will likely be horrific. I will wait til the off-season, so you guys have at it.
    Well, that's the thing. Universal knows the wait time for the ride will be horrible. That's why they have such an elaborate set up for the line. Disguising it as a "walking tour" of Hogwarts and claiming the ride is "optional" is actually pretty smart on their part.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Official MC Thread Killer

I went and rode Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey today. I have to say, it's INCREDIBLE! So well done, and there really is nothing like it. It felt like an adventure the entire time. We were speechless when the ride ended. It's just awesome!

A few things I have to say though:

1) If you are a "larger" guest, whether HEIGHT or WEIGHT, you really need to check with the test seats (there is one at the entrance and an actual mock vehicle just before getting on the ride). We saw them turning away a lot of people today, including one in my group and almost myself. It is a very tight fit to actually get on the ride, so just be warned about that.

2) Some parts of this right are rather intense and frightening. We were all adults and we were screaming like little girls. So if you are traveling with ones that are easily frightened, maybe wait and experience if for yourself instead of bring them on it, because some very frightening elements get VERY, almost uncomfortably, close to you.

3) If you are prone to motion sickness, also beware. The "flying" scenes can be very disorienting, but the actual movement of the ride is very fluid and not aggressive at all.

Those things aside though - the ride is insane. The queue in itself is an attraction - we waited about 45 minutes and it felt like 5. The queue also moves very quickly (but I'm sure it'll slow down when they start using Express -but Express pass users will miss the queue - which is almost as good as the ride!)

The attention to detail even surpassed Disney, and I never thought I would say that.

Universal has really got a winner on their hands with this one.
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• Another trip down I-4

Quote Originally Posted by 1stStarIC2nite View Post
    I went and rode Harry Potter and the
    1) If you are a "larger" guest, whether HEIGHT or WEIGHT, you really need to check with the test seats (there is one at the entrance and an actual mock vehicle just before getting on the ride). We saw them turning away a lot of people today, including one in my group and almost myself. It is a very tight fit to actually get on the ride, so just be warned about that.
    Do you have a ballpark as to height / size restrictions? I tend to travel with a variety of people (from 6'7" and rail thin to 5'6" and fluffy and everything in between) and I don't want to wake them up early early early the 19th if they're not going to be able to ride...

Thank you!

• Official MC Thread Killer

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    Do you have a ballpark as to height / size restrictions? I tend to travel with a variety of people (from 6'7" and rail thin to 5'6" and fluffy and everything in between) and I don't want to wake them up early early early the 19th if they're not going to be able to ride...

Thank you!

Unfortunately, it's really hard to tell. The 6'7 (guy I assume) guy might have a harder time. I'm about 6'4, with a 38 waist and no gut just very broad shoulders and I just made the cut. My friend is shorter but bigger around the stomach and she couldn't make it. I was talking with a team member and they've said they've turned away short and tall people, even a guy from a fitness magazine just because of broad shoulders and what not preventing the harness from going down as far as they need to. From what we understood, the harness needs to click 3 times for it to pass. My friend only got 2, she was upset

Trust me however - this ride is worth going on a diet for! There is nothing like it in the world - and dare I say it - it's better than anything Disney has to offer right now!
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast