Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Review (Contains Spoilers)

I love reading all this postive stuff! Thanks Bill, and, well, everyone!

My question now...everything on this ride I'm fine with-but spiders. And if it's a huge one, in a close space, I'm not sure I can do it. So there's a huge spider animantronic? Anyone care to elaborate?

I can handle the 3-D ITTBAB movie at DAK, but then again, that's animated and it's easy to turn off that part of my brain. But a six footer less then a foot away? That could be an issue....

Figured I'd ask. There's a probablity I might be out there this summer.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Official MC Thread Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    I love reading all this postive stuff! Thanks Bill, and, well, everyone!

My question now...everything on this ride I'm fine with-but spiders. And if it's a huge one, in a close space, I'm not sure I can do it. So there's a huge spider animantronic? Anyone care to elaborate?

I can handle the 3-D ITTBAB movie at DAK, but then again, that's animated and it's easy to turn off that part of my brain. But a six footer less then a foot away? That could be an issue....

Figured I'd ask. There's a probablity I might be out there this summer.

Peace,
    Roo
    Yes, I'm not gonna lie, the spider part is very uncomfortable! I hate spiders and I was screaming like crazy. The really "big" spider is less of an animatronic I think. It's more like the Yeti in B-mode - strobing and coming towards you. Then you see a bunch more spiders - think the black widow spiders that come down from the ceiling in ITTBAB, but with hair. This part of the ride is pretty intense, and so are the dementors. I still recommend trying it - but this attraction is definitely spooky!

I only went on it once so this is what I remembered from it. Hope it helps a little! If you get bothered by it - just close your eyes! This part of the ride probably lasts 30 seconds or so - it's a long scene but the BIG spider isn't there very long...
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• Another trip down I-4

Thanks for the size update - I guess it's "try it and see" - there's nothing any of us can do between now and then (especially the 6'7" guy - there's nothing he'll ever be able to do!)

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Just to help you out, when I went on it last Thursday I fit perfectly fine in it. I'm a bit of a fluffy guy with a gut myself and a 40 inch waist, and while it was a bit tight, I didn't have much of a problem. I think I actually had more trouble with the new lapbars on Dudley Do-Right. That thing pushed into my belly so much I didn't think I could breathe lol

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Glad you got on it! My friend got on it just by wearing shorts instead of pants. Figure that one out!
    -Bill

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Thanks, Bill! It would absolutely amazing. I'm not even a big Potter fan and it's already my favorite ride in all of Universal.

I was also wearing shorts too, so I wonder if there's something that helps us larger people with getting into those seats.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ok the spider part will seriously freak my s**t out (I hate, hate hate spiders), but I'll suck it up since I know they're not real (yet try telling my brain that once I actually see them... I'll scream my fool head off).

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Having read Kevin Yee's article, it sounds like the OTS restraints also allowed Universal to have the animatronics/sets really, REALLY close to the passengers because they essentially have the passengers locked in place, barring clearance for arms, etc.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The spider part will keep me from riding this ride. That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    The spider part will keep me from riding this ride. That sucks.
    Just close your eyes! You have to experience this attraction! The spider part only lasts about 20-30 seconds. My friend is extremely arachnophobic and just closes his eyes for that scene - and absolutely loves the rest of it!!
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    Having read Kevin Yee's article, it sounds like the OTS restraints also allowed Universal to have the animatronics/sets really, REALLY close to the passengers because they essentially have the passengers locked in place, barring clearance for arms, etc.
    Yes, but if you also have long legs, you might feel like you want to keep them tucked in the entire ride. I actually grazed something with my foot once on it. Now I keep them tucked in the whole ride!! Hahaha
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I wonder how they got the approval to let stuff get that close to you.

• Banned User

I have a bit of a phobia about bugs and spiders myself, but nothing could keep me from experiencing this ride (especially my size -- I'm 5'5 and 145 pounds; never thought that would be a big advantage). In fact, I'm jazzed to hear that the ride is scary. Much as I love Disney rides, sometimes I wish they would make them a little scarier. Universal, thankfully, has no such qualms.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    I wonder how they got the approval to let stuff get that close to you.
    IT's a new ride system in the very sense of the word. Safety Standards haven't been set yet, unlike with roller coasters and dark rides.

If you look at the Theme Park Developer videos where the robotic arm ride system was first debuted, they nearly throw riders into the grownd head first, stopping merely inches away from impact just to show how accurate the arm is in their range and speed of motion.

As much as I hate to say this, we probably won't see any obvious safety standards for this ride until someone gets hurt. If someone loses a foot, then we will probably see "foot rests" added to the bench to sheild riders feet. If someone actually gets struck by a prop, then we will see a reprograming of how close the ride vehicle gets to each prop. But, again, that probably won't happen until someone gets hurt.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    IT's a new ride system in the very sense of the word. Safety Standards haven't been set yet, unlike with roller coasters and dark rides.

If you look at the Theme Park Developer videos where the robotic arm ride system was first debuted, they nearly throw riders into the grownd head first, stopping merely inches away from impact just to show how accurate the arm is in their range and speed of motion.

As much as I hate to say this, we probably won't see any obvious safety standards for this ride until someone gets hurt. If someone loses a foot, then we will probably see "foot rests" added to the bench to sheild riders feet. If someone actually gets struck by a prop, then we will see a reprograming of how close the ride vehicle gets to each prop. But, again, that probably won't happen until someone gets hurt.
    Well, over the shoulder restraints will pretty much immobilize a person's body, so you really just need to figure clearance for the arms, head, and legs. After that, things can get pretty close. Although speed of movement will also provide a great way of making things seem even closer than they are.

I'm not saying that no one will get injured by proximity of a prop on this attraction, but those design considerations can basically allow things to get pretty close if handled correctly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast