Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Disney Night Owl

Re: The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter PICS and RIDE REVIEW

Thanks so much Fishbulb and Dustysage for sharing the details! Man oh man everything looks so amazing! I won't lie in that I've slowly been losing interest in Harry Potter over the years but this just gave me a giant boost, making me feel how I did when I finished the first book. This is extremely exciting for Universal and I hope I can make it out to the park soon enough to take pictures of my own and get the full experience.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Harry Potter is a HUGE intellectual property and has a rather ravenous, built-in fan base. Fortunately, Universal realized this and seemingly went ALL OUT on WWoHP and came out with some fantastic theming and a spectacularly innovative attraction.

BUT, I don't think that Universal will pressure Disney much or at all to do anything too terribly different in Florida. Why? Because I think that the inclusion of WWoHP merits an extra day or two in Florida to maybe stop by IoA or the Universal resort as a whole, but I think Universal is going to have to do a lot of marketing work to get you to stay on property because of how expensive their hotels are (even though they are QUALITY hotels). I think WWoHP will drive a spike of attendance to IoA at the absolute least, but I think that Universal and Disney already cater to different audiences, so I see Universal stealing little of Disney's guests or even really impacting Disney's numbers. I will be happy to admit that I'm wrong when the numbers become available, but WWoHP seems to me to be an incentive to visit IoA while you're in Orlando or the area as opposed to an incentive to have a Universal vacation instead of a Disney vacation.

As a personal anecdotal note, I'll be a six hour drive from Orlando in August, and I'm considering making the drive to go to Universal for a day or two, but that's because Disney hasn't added anything of interest since my trip in Spring of 2009 and I can't think of any parks that I would want to spend so little time in. So, Universal wins simply because it has a new ride in Universal Studios and a new land in IoA while Disney has nothing new for me. But I would never consider an extended stay on the Universal property or anything past two days between the parks because I personally don't think it offers anything that justifies a lengthy stay while I have stayed at the WDW for a minimum of five days in the past.

I would love to see Disney offer some sort of response, and it is here that I will say that the Fantasyland expansion is a great response. Sure, they won't come close to touching The Forbidden Journey for innovation, and the HP franchise is a big deal to contend with, but I think Disney can execute the quality of theming necessary to make Fantasyland look great.

• Minion

I am thinking about planning a trip to Orlando just to see this. I haven't been to WDW since 2005. It just costs to much for a family to get there (from Arizona) and there isn't anything there that I have a burning desire to see again. WWOHP has intrigued me so much, I may have to find a way to get there and see it!

• Banned User

Looking at all of the posts in the HP threads, I have noticed comments such as, "Oh man this is awesome! I've got to come all the way from such-and-such state to visit IOA for this even though I'm not a fan" and "I can't wait, as fan, to see this!" Even I myself, not being a HP fan at all cannot wait to see this spectacular area and innovative ride this October! I think Universal has a huge winner on their hands.

• Disneyland fan!

Thanks Fishbulb and Dusty for the trip report, you guys get to go to the best places! I was at Universal Orlando in December, long before opening day for Harry Potter, sigh... I'll have to get back to Orlando sometime, though I want to go to Disneyland and California Adventure first! World of Color!
    -Gullywhumper
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I hope this experience has shed some light on why various users on micechat are so critical of Disney. We know they can do 10 times better if they chose to do so and it's saddening to see universal coming out with better products. Hopefully Disney wakes up and stops resting on their laurels. I am glad to see the imagineers who got fired are showing Disney what a mistake it was to let so much talent go.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I wanna know why the buildings have snow on them (except for Hogwarts)? That detail will not be appreciated when the temperature and the humidity are both in the 90's and you're dodging lightning bolts from the daily thunderstorms.
    The main reason for Hogsmeade buildings having snow on them is to make them more associable with the films. When we see scenes or events taking place at Hogsmeade it is usually during the winter/Christmas time in the movies even though various Hogsmeade moments take place year round.

I'm also inclined to believe (according to the movieverse again) that Hogsmeade is actually located in a mountainous area and is therefore covered by snow year round. However we can't be 100% sure of this as there are some very important scenes in the final movies that will take place in Hogsmeade (during June) and we dont know yet if this will be in a snowy setting or not.

I agree the snow effect wont bode well during stormy days.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for that in-depth rundown and those awesome (really, absolutely beautiful) pics of WWoHP!!! Hopefully Universal will be able to better tweak the land without too many problems (the in-park "characters" seem like they could be better, I cringe just thinking about crowding through those tiny spaces in the shops, etc.). It's really too bad that Dueling Dragons' queue is a shadow of what it used to be. The "show" was part of what made the ride so great!

Like many others, next time I finally make the trip out to Orlando, I'll probably spent a day or two at IOA, specifically to see the Potter stuff. Universal will definitely make back all of the money it borrowed to make WWOHP a reality. But just like Halloween Horror Nights, WWoHP seems like it's in a class all its own. It can't really be compared to anything offered at WDW - yet.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Fishy, that was some trip report! The pictures were absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing your experience, I am green with envy.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• 86 miles from the magic!

I hope everyone realizes that this thing is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to tour once the summer crowds arrive. It is sooo small and narrow. One big bottleneck. I predict HUGE problems.

thanks for that gorgeous report, I'm drooling over your pictures.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think Universal definitely met AND exceeded them. They promised an experience and they delivered. I don't remember the last time Disney stateside has even exceeded expectations as far as attractions go. 1994 Tower of Terror? 1995 Indiana Jones adventure?
    I'd say the last time was Expedition Everest in 2006.
    Anyway, I'm willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt and hold out hope that Star Tours 2, Little Mermaid and Cars Land will live up to expectations. As I said, the pressure is on them not to disappoint with upcoming attractions. They don't have to be the greatest thing ever, but they certainly have to deliver the goods. Otherwise, Universal has really embarassed the Mouse.
    I haven't seen it yet, but at least WOC appears to be a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I'd say the last time was Expedition Everest in 2006.
    You must have had low expectations. After all that hype, mine weren't even met, much less exceeded. And that was before the yeti broke.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

This place looks amazing. The queue for the ride alone looks awesome. Can't wait to experience the ride itself. Thanks for sharing your experience Fishy.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Thumbs up Re: The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter PICS and RIDE REVIEW

Great review I love it . I hope to go and see it next year with Sticthtt6 . Thank you so much for your truley wonderful pictures and review. Big Hug Lorraine
    Lorraine Erickson
    BIG HUG

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
  2. 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
  3. 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
  4. 06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
  5. 06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
  6. 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
  7. 06-15-2010, 07:13 AM
  8. 06-14-2010, 10:52 PM