Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got stuck on Harry Potter... and I didn't call 911!

So.... today I went to Islands of Adventure to finally check out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I'll give my main review in a different post because....

I GOT STUCK ON HARRY POTTER AND THE FORBIDDEN JOURNEY!

Just as the ride started... it stopped. My "bench" was stuck looking at a big blank screen for awhile, then the lights came on! I immediately got excited and then even moreso when the Kuka arms started to move a bit and... well, I whipped out my iPhone and I'll let the photos say the rest (and sorry for the crappy quality since they were taken with my phone):

After the dragon, we went through the rest of the right with the lights on, but I couldn't get my phone back out fast enough to snap more photos. The Kuka arms were all in the "default" position I guess when this stuff happens, but youcould see how close you really get to everything. I could have easily kicked my foot out and just barely hit the bottom of one dementor as I was on and end seat.

They gave everyone front of the line passes, but I never used mine as I ended up just trying the single rider line later in the day and had success. So I'll keep my pass thingy as a souvenir.

I NEVER get stuck on rides like that, so it was a HUGE thrill for me.

• Shablagoo!

Re: I got stuck on Harry Potter... and I didn't call 911!

Awesome. Thanks for the pictures.

• Banned User

Aha! I got stuck in the exact same spot... but I didn't get front of the line passes.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Fascinating. I've been trying to explain what the "arm" is to some people, the pix might help in that department!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• The Study of Wumbo

Nice photos. They'd probably make more sense if I knew what the ride was like at all, but thanks for posting.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Awesome! As strange as it may sound to some I have always secrectly hoped for a breakdown like that. As cool as attractions and rides may be when working I am fascinated by how they work too. Only time I ever came close was when Hyperion Theater (at DCA) had to be evacuated because of the smoke alarmsduring the Aladdin Musical. Apparently someone burnt a bag of microwave popcorn backstage....BORING!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

WOW!!!! Great Photos of the Kuka arms on their tracks!!!! What a completely unique variety of technology and set of special effects!!!!! Looks like Indy Jeeps on steroids, with in-your-face AA's and individual extreme Soarin' screens, and more intimate/open journey than Star Tours could ever be, ALL combined into a fantasmagorical magical flying machine!!!

Disney has definitely fallen well behind. Nothing Disney's done in the past can even come close! And the upcoming revised Star Tours won't be able match it, nor will Radiator Springs Racers. Disney isn't going to be able to top this attraction for decades, if ever!

I REALLY hope the Transformers attraction going to at Universal Hollywood uses the same combination of technology, with the traveling Kuka arms! Disney needs this type of competition of both coasts!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I REALLY hope the Transformers attraction going to at Universal Hollywood uses the same combination of technology, with the traveling Kuka arms! Disney needs this type of competition of both coasts!
    Transformers will use the same technology as Spiderman using the roving vehicles.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I saw these on TPR. Awesome photos. Good thinking to snap some photos while stuck!

• Infinitized!

Awesome! So now I know how the ride works. I was tryng to visualize it from all the descriptions from the various trip reports. Yup, looks like they gave Disney a run for its money. Lets see if Disney can outdo this ride vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Awesome! As strange as it may sound to some I have always secrectly hoped for a breakdown like that. As cool as attractions and rides may be when working I am fascinated by how they work too.
    Me too. Was weird how it was my very first ever ride on Forbidden Journey and that happened JUST as the ride started. But it didn't ruin the magic for me.

That's so cool!! Now i REALLY need to get out to Florida and ride it!!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

Ahhh, OK, now the mechanics of the ride make a bit more sense. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

How lucky are you! One that you got to go on the Forbidden Journey, two that it broke down and you got to see its inner workings, and three that you got front-of-the-line passes. All in all, not too shabby, I think!

Does it Has Spiders on the ride?
    If so thats a big bummer for me i got phobia of spiders D:
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

According to the IOA employees I talked to throughout the day, Forbidden Journey apparently has been breaking down on a regular basis. It broke down at least one other time this past Saturday while I was there. When it broke down during my ride, that was around 10:00am-ish. Then it broke down again around 6:00pm-ish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast