Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    195

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    I just booked my trip to Orlando! I haven't been since 2000 so there's a lot of new things to see. Staying at a Days Inn to start and then the Lowes Royal Pacific for the Universal portion of the trip. Value and Moderate Resorts were sold out during my timeframe.

    The primary reason is Harry Potter but of course I'll swing by Disney (and my sister park SeaWorld).

    I'll probably be back next May for Destination D so I hope to hit Busch Gardens.
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

    Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

    "I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    WWoHP is what finally made the Universal Orlando Resort dethrone the DLR for me. I still love the DLR, but its pretty sad that the last great ride build there (except ToT which is a clone) is 15 years old. Carsland has very little appeal to me. Now when it comes to WDW, I hardly care about returning there for a long time. Not only were the attractions dated, they had severe maintenance issues. I refuse to ever ride the WDW Space Mountain again after my back was in horrible pain for days after riding it in August. Greenery was way overgrown in the Jungle Cruise, none of the effects were working in the Earthquake scene in BTM, the lightning effect on the skeleton captain in POTC wasn't working etc. Not to mention that a lot of rides felt more jerky and rickety than ever before. As a 25 year old male who loves thrilling dark rides, Universal Orlando offers me much more than WDW does. There are more E-Tickets in the two Universal park than in all 4 WDW parks.

  3. #18

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    WWoHP is what finally made the Universal Orlando Resort dethrone the DLR for me. I still love the DLR, but its pretty sad that the last great ride build there (except ToT which is a clone) is 15 years old. Carsland has very little appeal to me. Now when it comes to WDW, I hardly care about returning there for a long time. Not only were the attractions dated, they had severe maintenance issues. I refuse to ever ride the WDW Space Mountain again after my back was in horrible pain for days after riding it in August. Greenery was way overgrown in the Jungle Cruise, none of the effects were working in the Earthquake scene in BTM, the lightning effect on the skeleton captain in POTC wasn't working etc. Not to mention that a lot of rides felt more jerky and rickety than ever before. As a 25 year old male who loves thrilling dark rides, Universal Orlando offers me much more than WDW does. There are more E-Tickets in the two Universal park than in all 4 WDW parks.
    Now I just wish UO could pull off 2 grand night time shows.

  4. #19

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Wow, just WOW.

    Take note Disney. A re-designed Fantasyland with some meet and greet's isn't going to cut it.
    X2

    Good for Universal, I'm very happy to hear of their success, hopefully that will mean only more good things coming from USO in the future.

  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,181
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    They really do need to find a way to do a truly compelling night time show at the lake of IOA. If they could find a way to do a fantastic water and fire show related to Harry Potter or something, that would be amazing.

  6. #21

    • Cars Land Rocks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,610

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    I go to Orlando on average every 3 years or so ... Of those trips, I probably only go to Universal on every other trip. Over the years Orlando has certainly showed it is ready to play in the big leagues. Of course Disney has made it easy by letting the quality of WDW go down so much, and not trying to make anything that really wows the masses. I will certainly divide my time in Orlando by going to see the new attractions at Universal.





  7. #22

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    They really do need to find a way to do a truly compelling night time show at the lake of IOA. If they could find a way to do a fantastic water and fire show related to Harry Potter or something, that would be amazing.
    I have thought so much about this. This is probably the thing I wish the most right now, more than phase 2 of WWOHP. The lagoon was designed to have a show on it. There are such wonderful viewing areas all around the lagoon.

    Universal 360... is not what it "should" be.

    I think a Heros vs Villians water fire show at IOA would be PERFECT. However as I understand it, the usage of all those character that they use in the attractions would have to renegotiated to be used in a night time show (at least that is what was explained to me).

    But I would settle for just a Harry Potter themed nighttime water/fire show... just something EPIC and GRAND!

  8. #23

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Now I just wish UO could pull off 2 grand night time shows.
    I wish the parks would stay open later more regularly. I know Universal could easily equal and likely outdo Fantasmic! (at least the WDW version).

  9. #24

    • Another trip down I-4
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    302

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    I thought the restrictions about noise after dark prevented a lot of the night time show ideas? I'm sure they could figure something out, but they'd have to get pretty creative to make it on a grand scale and still keep it quiet.

  10. #25

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    I'm sure this makes Steven Spielberg happy too, since he gets 2% of tickets sales from every customer that comes through the Universal Orlando parks entrance.

    Source:http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...2028&count=221

  11. #26

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    I thought the restrictions about noise after dark prevented a lot of the night time show ideas? I'm sure they could figure something out, but they'd have to get pretty creative to make it on a grand scale and still keep it quiet.
    you are 100% correct. When I lived next to Universal off Turkey Lake the HOA there was always trying to get us to sign petitions to get the fireworks restricted even more. I wrote a nasty letter to the HOA about how as UO increases in attendance and value as a world destination, it only increases our property value, and that we should embrace fireworks year round.

  12. #27

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    Universal is doing well, for sure, but there's still a ways to go. I really enjoyed Islands of Adventure, but also felt disappointed by it. I'll save details for somewhere a little less off-topic, but my biggest gripe is that the atmosphere of each land is often broken by breaks in show or major views of the other lands. For example, when I was standing in the green house part of the line for the Forbidden Journey, I got nice views of both Jurassic Park and the huge show building housing the ride. It really kills the immersion.

    I also found Marvel Island atrocious in a lot of ways, but that's a rant for a different time.
    One came make the same argument how one can see the backside of Carsland, where the rock range all of sudden stops, and flattens out against Paradise Pier or the number 1 fantasy world killer... Mickey's Ferris Wheel. Where you can see all of reality at the highest vantage point.

    So, no matter what theme park one's in, its a no win scenario unless the theme parks go ALL OUT and decorate the backstage areas as well. Just a thought.

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    304

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    YES! this is great news! Finally Disney World will have some competition, and something to be worried about. And now maybe they will try up-ing their game... Disney is getting so old and outdated!
    -Tyler

  14. #29

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    I can't wait to hear numbers from this years HHN. It was packed and off the charts.

  15. #30

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I can't wait to hear numbers from this years HHN. It was packed and off the charts.
    Howl O Scream at Busch Gardens is severely underrated. We went to HHN's once and never looked back. Although the Fairy Tale house was wicked cool, waiting up to an hour for each house, not so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] May 2010 Attendance Level WDW and Universal
    By euro disney stefan in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
  2. [Question] Can Universal Orlando take over Disneyworld as best place to vacation in Orlando?
    By disneyboi92 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
  3. Will "The Year of a Million Dreams" Sweepstakes Increase A.P. Attendance?
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 01:00 PM
  5. Union asks Disney to increase worker pay- Orlando Sentinel- 5/20/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 02:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •