Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Cars Land Rocks!

Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is doing magic for Universal Orlando Resort.

In Universal Orlando’s quarterly financial results, which were released on Friday, the theme park reported a 36 percent increase in attendance from the previous quarter. Revenue for the three months was up 62 percent.

Year to date, the company said attendance was up almost a million people, or 12 percent.The results are the best in Universal Orlando's history, the company said.
    Universal Orlando Posts Attendance, Revenue Increase - News Story - WESH Orlando

Re: Universal Orlando - 36% increase in attendance

Take note, Disney!

To quote an overrated movie: "If you build it, they will come."
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

HOLY SHIZZZZZZZ that is literally a lot higher than I thought it would be.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Take note, Disney!

To quote an overrated movie: "If you build it, they will come."
    Ha! I was totally going to say that.

Too bad Disney's current mantra is "If you discount it, they will come".

Islands of the Adventure was easily the highlight of my recent visit, not anything Disney did.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

OUCH DISNEY OUCH!!!!

I think it's time for WDC to move over and let OLC take over...

I am so happy for Universal Orlando. They deserve all the success. Bravo!

• Not a Crook

Potter is definitely drawing people in to the parks. I'm pretty sure during our visit last week, over half the other guests were from an EU country. I still think they have a ways to go in some very important areas before they match classic Disney, but they're definitely outmatching at the current moment. New plans at WDW may change the balance yet again, but that's to be seen still.

Also, I don't think Disney is hurting from this at all. Most visitors I saw were wearing or carrying Disney memorabilia and using Disney terms for everything (ex. asking for the Fastpass line). Universal's still only a 2 day experience, so a lot of people are going to end up at Disney anyways for part of the trip.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^it is kinda funny people may be coming to Unicersal BUT Most (I'd say at least 90%) are going to WDW too, so really they're not losing out on money they get more guests and they didn't even have to build a ride, lol. What an unfair would we live in.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'd bet that a lot of folks are carving a Disney day out of their schedule to make room for Universal. We certainly are in the trip we are taking next week.

If Disney loses even a fractional average day per guest, than it does hurt them.

Crowds tend to follow whatever is new. Some things have a very short marketing span, but some things - like Harry Potter - have potentially huge staying power. I think Wizarding World may very well be that magic ingredient which turns Universal theme parks around.

And if they do a high quality 2nd phase, Islands of Adventure might just become a top 2 or 3 theme park in the world.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Wow, just WOW.

Take note Disney. A re-designed Fantasyland with some meet and greet's isn't going to cut it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Islands of the Adventure was easily the highlight of my recent visit, not anything Disney did.

It was easily a highlight last time I went... before Harry Potter even began construction.

In the past, it was all about "Let's go to Walt Disney World."

Now, more and more.. I'm seeing people go "I'm going to Universal". There's definitely a shift in how people describe and brag about what they're doing. Going to Disney World is no longer worth talking about. Going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is something everyone wants to do.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It was easily a highlight last time I went... before Harry Potter even began construction.

In the past, it was all about "Let's go to Walt Disney World."

Now, more and more.. I'm seeing people go "I'm going to Universal". There's definitely a shift in how people describe and brag about what they're doing. Going to Disney World is no longer worth talking about. Going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is something everyone wants to do.
    I too am seeing this.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

I think it's Good New's!.......
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Not a Crook

Universal is doing well, for sure, but there's still a ways to go. I really enjoyed Islands of Adventure, but also felt disappointed by it. I'll save details for somewhere a little less off-topic, but my biggest gripe is that the atmosphere of each land is often broken by breaks in show or major views of the other lands. For example, when I was standing in the green house part of the line for the Forbidden Journey, I got nice views of both Jurassic Park and the huge show building housing the ride. It really kills the immersion.

I also found Marvel Island atrocious in a lot of ways, but that's a rant for a different time.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^it is kinda funny people may be coming to Unicersal BUT Most (I'd say at least 90%) are going to WDW too, so really they're not losing out on money they get more guests and they didn't even have to build a ride, lol. What an unfair would we live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'd bet that a lot of folks are carving a Disney day out of their schedule to make room for Universal. We certainly are in the trip we are taking next week.

If Disney loses even a fractional average day per guest, than it does hurt them.

Crowds tend to follow whatever is new. Some things have a very short marketing span, but some things - like Harry Potter - have potentially huge staying power. I think Wizarding World may very well be that magic ingredient which turns Universal theme parks around.

And if they do a high quality 2nd phase, Islands of Adventure might just become a top 2 or 3 theme park in the world.
    I think there's truth in both of these comments. A couple of days at Universal does cut into Disney's business. That $30 you spend on a wand at Olivander's is $30 less to spend on yet another Mickey plush. And make no mistake, the merchandise at Wizarding World is irresistable.

I think twice before paying what Disney charges for some of their dull food & drink options, but I gleefully bought Butter Beer without regard for pricing. Is it basically cream soda with whipping cream? Yes, but it has that Disney Universal magic that makes you love it no matter the price.

I often forgive Disney prices, especially when it comes to dining - it's a theme park, you pay a premium, what can you do, right? A visit to Mythos or another Universal eatery, and more people will stick to quick service at Disney, and do one or two bigger meals at Universal, rather than vice-versa.

Having said that, I do agree that most people travelling to Orlando, even if Harry Potter is the new draw, are going to to visit Disney. Harry Potter was a big incentive for me to visit recently, but Disney took most of my money. Oh free dining plan, you are such an enticing temptress.

I've skipped Universal on some of my previous trips, but never again. Skipping Forbidden Journey will now be akin to visiting Disneyland and skipping the Haunted Mansion. The tide may be shifting, albeit ever so slightly.

Disney will still be the main draw, no question. Universal just cannot compete with their wider variety of hotels (particularly the wider variety of price options), beloved characters (Sorry Shrek, Mickey you are not), and family appeal (Aside from Suess Landing, Universal lacks stuff for the kiddies, and stuff for the family to experience together).
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I think there's truth in both of these comments. A couple of days at Universal does cut into Disney's business. That $30 you spend on a wand at Olivander's is $30 less to spend on yet another Mickey plush. And make no mistake, the merchandise at Wizarding World is irresistable.

I think twice before paying what Disney charges for some of their dull food & drink options, but I gleefully bought Butter Beer without regard for pricing. Is it basically cream soda with whipping cream? Yes, but it has that Disney Universal magic that makes you love it no matter the price.

I often forgive Disney prices, especially when it comes to dining - it's a theme park, you pay a premium, what can you do, right? A visit to Mythos or another Universal eatery, and more people will stick to quick service at Disney, and do one or two bigger meals at Universal, rather than vice-versa.

Having said that, I do agree that most people travelling to Orlando, even if Harry Potter is the new draw, are going to to visit Disney. Harry Potter was a big incentive for me to visit recently, but Disney took most of my money. Oh free dining plan, you are such an enticing temptress.

I've skipped Universal on some of my previous trips, but never again. Skipping Forbidden Journey will now be akin to visiting Disneyland and skipping the Haunted Mansion. The tide may be shifting, albeit ever so slightly.

Disney will still be the main draw, no question. Universal just cannot compete with their wider variety of hotels (particularly the wider variety of price options), beloved characters (Sorry Shrek, Mickey you are not), and family appeal (Aside from Suess Landing, Universal lacks stuff for the kiddies, and stuff for the family to experience together).

While Disney IS indeed a draw, how many of those same folks are going home and telling their friends how amazing their Harry Potter experience was and how dull and outdated meh their trip to Disney World was?

Make no mistake, Disney is still a draw now and it's definitely hard to say no to four theme parks. But the tide has already shifted. Disney needs to have something truly substantial in ALL FOUR of their parks very soon if they want to stay in the game.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast