• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Post Islands of Adventure closes due to capacity Tues and Weds

Orlando Sentinel Reports

t's the first time in Islands of Adventure's history that Universal has had to halt admission because the park had reached capacity. The theme park opened in 1999.

"We wanted to make sure guests who were already inside the theme park had the best possible experience," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said Wednesday.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...0,271532.story

IMO Universal Orlando has been doing a stellar job of crowd control, but having been there on Tues and Weds let me tell you, it is hella busy! lol

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Islands of Adventure closes due to capacity Tues and Weds

If you read reviews over at Trip Advisor right now IOA is getting torn apart due to crowd capacities.
    Stay Home Until 2012 or 2013 and Avoid School Vacations!! - Review of Universal's Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL - TripAdvisor

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    If you read reviews over at Trip Advisor right now IOA is getting torn apart due to crowd capacities.
    Stay Home Until 2012 or 2013 and Avoid School Vacations!! - Review of Universal's Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL - TripAdvisor
    I think we can admit that Universal does need to work out some kinks offer a better free service
    thats comparable to fastpass, upcharging to skip lines is just no fun. But People know what they are getting into when they go in periods of high demand.. Crowds crowds and more crowds

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I love it when people go to theme parks at the busiest time periods and then complain about the crowds.

• Another trip down I-4

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I love it when people go to theme parks at the busiest time periods and then complain about the crowds.
    I guarantee it's the same people who complain about restaurants being crowded on Mother's Day and Valentine's Day. This happens every year. It's not a surprise. Especially when it lines up so nicely as to allow a good number of people to have a full week off with minimal vacation time burnt.

• Cars Land Rocks!

It is interesting to see the comments on WESH's facebook about Universal raising prices and adding blackout days. Many of the comments are what I read on here about Disney annual passes and crowds.

A few comments posted:

Reagan Pape What kind of a smart business owner WOULDN'T raise rates and add blackouts? Universal just reached maximum capacity at Islands of Adventure for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Clearly the demand is there and people are willing to pay. Goes to show that the whole "bad economy" argument can be laid to rest when it comes to Universal. The almighty Harry Potter triumphs over all.
    Kelly Fonte Piper My husband and I have annual passes and went several times in the last 6 months due to family and friends visiting. We have yet gotten to see "Harry Potter". The parks have been making the bucks. We will not buy passes this next year.
    Paul Callow they are just jumping on the bandwagon, everything goes up in a recession, your electric, water , car registration etc. yet another year of a local resident (me) not going to Universal !
    us locals are now officially priced out of the theme parks !

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    It is interesting to see the comments on WESH's facebook about Universal raising prices and adding blackout days. Many of the comments are what I read on here about Disney annual passes and crowds.

A few comments posted:
    I personally don't think 159.00 is unreasonable, but times still are tough, and I se can see why people might feel priced out of the pass, since they have been able to get a Power Pass for 99.00 in the past (which in my personal opinion was too cheap).

I have always thought that an annual pass should be the cost of 3 full priced days.

• Happy Memories

I was there one of those capacity days. Wouldn't have been my first choice (we were meeting my girlfriend's out of town relatives there), but at least I knew what I was getting into. As a passholder, it was no big deal to me that we weren't able to do much, because I can go back. It was definitely crazy though. We overheard a conversation between some guests and an employee selling Express upgrades, and she said due to the crowds and the amount of Expresses sold they were only going to get you half the posted wait time. That means paying what I think is far too much for the ability to only wait one hour instead of two for most attractions that day. That's just crazy!

I do have to give Universal some kudos on the staffing though. I've been unimpressed with their crowd management in the past, but they had tons of extra people out on those capacity days. Not just your normal minimum wage park employees, but people they had obviously pulled from elsewhere to float about and be helpful as needed.