Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Ravenclaw

USF guest beaten, kneed in the head by Orlando Police

There's not much else to go on here, but this is interesting. I don't know where this security cam footage came from, but it seems legit.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Minion

re: USF guest beaten, kneed in the head by Orlando Police

Not to defend what happened, but the guys on the bikes are Police not USH CMs, as evident by their badges and "Police" on the back of their shirts. The other guy in the video is a USH security CM though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Please have the title changed, those are police officers not security.

Here is the video description:

A Universal Orlando Premier Annual Passholder, who also happens to be the victim of four Traumatic Brain Injuries that left him Neurologicaly Disabled (severe cognative and exceutive functioning deficeits, and an estimated 30+ I.Q. point drop) is tackled and...HAD HIS HEAD KNEE'D in TWICE, and lastly, his head crushed into the pavement...all for telling a managed he felt he was owed an apology.

The 27 yr. old man didn't know what was happening after seeking an apoogy from a Manager who, two weeks prior, ordered Off Duty OPD Officers to keep over fifteen displeased and upset guests from addressing their concerns about a 60+ minute wait for thier cars from Valet parking, with him.

His directions caused the cops to act "Under the Color of Law", as no sane person would attempt to circumvent armed police officers, without fear of being arrested...or worse.

Universal had not answered e-mails attempting to raise this matter, in that fourteen day window. So, when Jon Viola, of Universal Orlando, was asked for an apology, he stated that he would not do so, and that this peticular guest was to leave the property...and never to return, as he was being trespassed for life. He started walking to his car...as you will see, he never made it.
    This seems very suspect, and you cannot tell how cognitive this person is, but he is strolling with a cellphone, and seems to initially play off that they want to talk to him. Could this be a bitter ex team member trying to make waves?

Maybe the person in question was intoxicated, or had made threats against the lives of the Team Members (most likely) When I worked as a Manager at WDW I had people threaten my life and my CM's lives on numerous occasions, and it was at my discretion or the Duty Manager's discretion on if we wanted the guest taken off property, arrested etc
    Last edited by KingEric; 01-04-2011 at 09:49 PM.

• Ravenclaw

Oops, how do I change the title?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: USF guest beaten, kneed in the head by Orlando Police

Not to defend or support anything, I do want to say that:

1. Police do not have a bio or a medical record of the people they come into contact with 99% of the time. So the fact that this guy had a "traumatic brain injury" earlier in his life with reduced cognative abilities has nothing to do with this, the police would not know that and it appears to get mentioned in the write up above to incite emotional responses only.

2. The write up above says that the man was told to leave and that he was trespassing. The write up claims that the guy went to his car "but never made it". But in the video, at least the section of the video posted here, the man does not appear to be leaving. He appears to be pacing back and forth talking on the cell phone. That could be construed as a failure to leave and so as a trespasser he is arrestable.

3. The knee strikes are an accepted form of force when dealing with a subject who is resisting and/or refusing to comply with orders given. Typically these strikes are delivered to the body, not the head. The video is not totally clear, the strikes may be going to the shoulder or back but only look like they are going to the head and the commentator of the write up (who appears to be biased) just claims they are hitting the head without knowing for sure. Unfortunately there is no audio on the clip that was posted and so we don't know if the officer was accompanying the strikes with commands such as "Stop Resisting!" or "Give me your hands!"

4. Pressing his head to the ground during the cuffing proceedure is again standard practice in most departments when dealing with a resisting subject or one who will potentially resist. If the head can not leave the ground, neither can the body. It effectively incapacitates the arrestee during the cuffing part of the arrest in the prone postion. As said already the police would most likely have no information about this man's "brain injury" and they must do things to maintain their own safety. They can not when wrestling with a subject think, "oh, this guy might be part of the 0.00002% of the US population with a TBI so I better not use the head hold tactic during this particular arrest.

Arrests look rough. There is nothing the police can do about that, especially if the subject decides to resist. It is difficult to watch, especially for those who have no experience in human altercations of any kind. It is easy to jump to conclusions.
    Last edited by Goofy Daddy; 01-07-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Kneeing a guy in the head is a bit too much.. he was already on the floor and it was 1 vs 2

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cool View Post
    Kneeing a guy in the head is a bit too much.. he was already on the floor and it was 1 vs 2
    First: Are you sure he was kneed in the head? The video appears to maybe kinda show that, but really it is not a very clear view. The blows may be landing between the shoulder blades. From the video's quality it is really not determinable realistically.

Second: It so easy to sit there on your keyboard and type it was 1 vs 2 and things are "a bit too much." When you are out there you face situations (like this one) where as an officer you do not know the person's intent, you do not know his fighting capability, you do not know if he is armed. I have seen people on the ground with 3 officers on them and still get a hand on a hidden knife during the struggle and manage to slash someone. As I said, the knee strike is a standard tactic to gain compliance to commands if a subject is resisting and/or not following verbal commands. The blows are typically not aimed for the head, but to gain compliance if the head is the only available target, it is a legitimate one. As already covered, in this case it is not 100% sure that he was struck in the head. I also note that the knee strikes were quick and there were only two. That could indicate that the man complied with the orders given and so no further strikes were needed. If the cops wanted to rough the guy up, they would not have stopped at 2 quick blows I am sure. Crooked cops who get off on the violence seldom know when to quit.

• will-o-the-whip

Of course it's hard to tell what's going on from the video, it appear he's being arrested for walking and talking on a cellphone. The cops don't appear to give him a chance to speak or leave on his own. That appears eerily police-state like behavior to me.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Of course it's hard to tell what's going on from the video, it appear he's being arrested for walking and talking on a cellphone. The cops don't appear to give him a chance to speak or leave on his own. That appears eerily police-state like behavior to me.
    If you read the article it states that the man was informed he was tresspassing and was told to leave. Once a property owner has informed you you are to leave because you are tresspassing the law (in most states) means you have to leave...straight line, gone. Not talk on a cell phone first, not walk back and forth...leave. In the video the man does not appear to be leaving. This means he is arrestable. He was given his warning and told to go, apparently he decided not to but to have a phone conversation instead.

There is also the reality that NONE of us were there and know the true story. For all we know the guy told the cops to F#$& off, or perhaps he had threatened a USF employee and then wasn't leaving. Who knows.

Like I said, it is so easy to sit at home and watch a 30 second blurry video and second guess the "police state" actions. This situation could have been going on for hours for all we know and this guy might have been given many chances to go away on his own power quietly. The video we are fed may be the final straw in a long incident. We don't know. So my whole point from the beginning is, despite how rough it looks, jumping to the conclusion that this was just the "evil cops" picking on some poor guy who happened to be walking around the parking garage, there is probably a lot more to the story.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^there are two sides to every story and of course with no audio we don't know what they said but to me the guy looks pretty non-dangerous and I just think the last thing you should do is throw the guy to the ground, no matter what the laws are.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Hopefully more clearer information on this incident will come to light soon.

Cant say I condone the actions of the cops or the manager if this man really was disabled though.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^there are two sides to every story and of course with no audio we don't know what they said but to me the guy looks pretty non-dangerous and I just think the last thing you should do is throw the guy to the ground, no matter what the laws are.
    In my 15 year career I have been to the funerals of several officers who were killed because the subject they were dealing with "look harmless" and so they tried to "go easy" when it came time to make the arrest. As I said, judge all you want from your chair in front of your computer. You are welcome to your opinion of course. I have dealt with MANY people who upon initial contact seemed "non-dangerous" but turned out to be very dangerous.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Hopefully more clearer information on this incident will come to light soon.

Cant say I condone the actions of the cops or the manager if this man really was disabled though.
    I couldn't say I would condone it either. However, as I said, it is extremly unlikely that the police officers in that video had a medical condition file on this man when they made contact with him. Also, the man appears to be very ambulatory and apparently had a vehicle and all that. I am not sure if "disabled" is a proper term for him. He appeared to be very abled indeed. The injury apparently affected part of his mental abilities, which is sad, but I don't see how that would mean he would be any less of a potential physical threat if he decided to fight.

Hey Guys, I'm the man in the video. Josh, actually. The footage was provided by US when I was brought to trial. All the audio that was on the original was removed before it ever left USF.

First off, yes, I do want an emotional response. Not sympathy for me in this case, however. What I want is to share with folks like yoou, how serious brain injuries are. Mostly for our bro's and sis's coming back from war, with what will be a new level of misunderstanding and turmoil.

Brief history: 10 yrs. old, WISC-III administered, estimated* full scalle I.Q. 148. Dr. Olander, my Neurologist and testing administrator felt it was higher but, the tests do not account for minor learning disabilities (auditory in my case from the get go).
    13 yrs. old: TBI # 1 (Rock on Ice / Team Orlando home game) A borderline, fair / crosscheck reneders me in Sand Lk. Hospital for 13 hrs. 30 sec. - 1 min. unconscious. Glasgow 12 (coma scale)
    15 yrs. old: TBI #2 Passenger (Jeep Cherokee) rear ended at a dead stop by a diabetic man (no alcohol) in an F-250 @ Mills&50 traveling about 45mph.4 compressed disks in my spine and bleeding in my brain. Glasgow 8. 5 days in ORMC
    16 yrs. old. #3 I had a moderate stroke leaving the left side of my body useless. Fall down 1 flight of stairs @ Downtoen Library. Glasgow 9. 3 days ORMC
    17 yrs old...the (word removed) one. Friend flips SS Camaro on I-4, I'm ejected through the t-top. more bleeding in my brain. "A midline shift" occurs. Glasgow 5. 2 weeks in Fl. Hospital.

For my trial new testing was done. I lost over 30 I.Q. points and will need 2 a week therapy sessions...for many years to come. All these injuries to my brain have kept me in the mind of a 17 year old. I live at home and work (word removed) jobs. They say I am lucky. Most days I feel alone as, no one understands me on a personal level.

Thats How it goes, though. Keep fighting...another day will comee.

I wear a med alert braclet...they didn't see it, I guess. I was calling 911 to try and get on duty cops there for help. I was about forty feet from my friends car (what I was pointing at).

I come from a military family. I want people to see TBI and how serious it is. It's not just "i forgot" ploys. We really do forget. Confussion. People talking fast...crap. I'm just a kid. What about our Vetrans?

I did resist...with questions and screams for help. Not physicaly...my balance is good but, not the same, can't catch anything anymore, my depth perception is down to about %10...I just look normal.

Cops are cops. Most are great people...a few bad apples can make life bad, though. Off duty cops answer to their off duty bosses...not always good. Maybe only more expierenced ones should be allowed to do it because of the balance needed.

Anyway, anything else, just ask. Havea good day guys!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 01-17-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Word filter violatons

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@Mensa2DayLabor the one thing you didn't address was why you were being trespassed and forced to leave. And those cops on bike are on duty.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast