Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Disney vs Potter New York Times artice

It is worth a read, I personally am not a fan of the USF vs WDW argument, as I feel that are not interchangeable experiences, but that they are all to be enjoyed.

...For decades, Disney has ruled this theme-park-flecked peninsula — and the hearts and minds of its “I’m going to Disney World!” tourists — without a serious challenge.

But judging by the swarms, it seems that many of them are, in fact, going to the Harry Potter park.

Since the attraction opened a few months ago, Universal’s overall attendance for its parks here has surged by a million people, hitting record levels. Industry trade groups have showered it with prestigious awards. Local hotels are now offering Harry Potter packages, with promises of special gifts.

Even veterans of the theme park industry are arching their eyebrows.

“Up until now, nobody ever said this or that is better than Disney,” said Duncan Dickson, a former Disney executive who teaches theme park management at the University of Central Florida. “The Hulk coaster at Universal is great. Manta, at SeaWorld, is very good. But it’s not better than anything at Disney.”...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us...nted=1&_r=2&hp

All the same it is interesting to see how people are conceding that Walt Disney World has SERIOUS competition these days.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Disney vs Potter New York Times artice

I gotta agree if I had to go to Florida for 4 day I would want at least one of them to be Potter over the Animal Park or Disney Studios, but that would have been with or without Potter there, the park was great before potter and go even better after it. It's funny how the second park at Universal is bigger than the first.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Disney executives scoff at talk of Universal as a competitor, saying their real rivals are entire cities, like Las Vegas. Besides, they say, those who fly to Orlando for Harry Potter will inevitably make their way to Disney.
    Ugh. Such an incompetent attitude by the Disney suits. The only credit they can give themselves for is for being a resort the size of a city without much value to the things that are within it. Have they ever heard the phrase "it's the little things that count"? I can go to a big city like Las Vegas but if they were to have the same stuff year after year and never upgrade I will eventually get bored with the city and not want to come back. Same goes for WDW.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

^ It's an incompetent attitude and an arrogant one. The amazing thing is that it's the same "we're Disney; others don't count" attitude that Michael's management regime had when Disney animated features began their decline in the 90's. The way they sneered at Pixar in the halls of Burbank was enough to make you hurl.

The rest was -- and is -- history.

Only this time around, it's doubtful that Disney will be able to buy "entire cities" and slap the Disney name on them -- or on Universal, for that matter.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Ugh. Such an incompetent attitude by the Disney suits.

I can go to a big city like Las Vegas but if they were to have the same stuff year after year and never upgrade I will eventually get bored with the city and not want to come back. Same goes for WDW.
    I totally agree. Based on my trip to WDW in September, I can honestly say that WDW felt stagnant, and Harry Potter was just amazing. If it weren't for the free dining offer, I'd have rather stayed off-site and spent less time at Disney. Maintaining admission through discounting is not a good long-term plan, Disney.

Given how well-done Wizarding World is, and how unchanged WDW is, I can see spending less time at WDW on future trips, and more time outside the world. Suddenly, staying on-site at Disney isn't as important or appealing.

It's true I wouldn't go to Orlando and not swing by WDW, but things like Harry Potter will mean people spend less days at WDW, and consider alternate accomodation options.

Wake up Disney...
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

All great opinions, and they echo what I have been hearing all around town.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I gotta agree if I had to go to Florida for 4 day I would want at least one of them to be Potter over the Animal Park or Disney Studios, but that would have been with or without Potter there, the park was great before potter and go even better after it. It's funny how the second park at Universal is bigger than the first.
    Ha! we are going to Orlando and we are going to the studios parks first, 'cause I can't wait to go to the Potter section

In my opinion the park of the WDW who needs the most something new is AK, something new please even a parade, they still have the old one for many years ago, more attractions will be nice too, the last time they did something new was with Everest right?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Egypt imploded many decades ago. The Roman empire fell thinking they were infallible. Looks like Disney really believes they are untouchable. Perfect time for other parks to design another Trojan Horse and let the arrogance try to catch up to them. Silly Disney.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Disney is still stuck in the "we were here first" mode. They used to be the only game in town but things have changed and they haven't looked beyond their front door in 20 years.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Was it only decades ago, I thought Egypt's power was over centuries ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am loving the competition. Blackstone is really stepping it up!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Was it only decades ago, I thought Egypt's power was over centuries ago.
    Whoops. Bad typo on my part!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You weren't thinking of Egypt under the Sadat administration, perhaps?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You weren't thinking of Egypt under the Sadat administration, perhaps?
    Not at all. More Moses times.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This guy who used to work here before he retired just took his family to Orlando, and he said he didn't even know about Potter World at Universal and they just spent their time at Disney. I can't believe there's anyone alive who doesn't know about Harry Potter's Wizarding World.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast