One day visit: just IOA or both parks? Hotel?

My two day visit has been cut down to just one day and I'm trying to decide whether to pay for park hopping tickets, or just stick to Islands of Adventure. The cost difference is significant enough on a single day ticket to make me hesitate...whereas two days it would have been minimal.

I've never been to any Universal park before, so it's all new--but I don't have kids so won't spend much time on kiddie rides. Thoughts?

Also any tips on a cheap hotel nearby? We'll just be there the night before so it doesn't need to be fancy (unless you think crowds make it worth staying on site for the extra hour).

Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: One day visit: just IOA or both parks? Hotel?

Ok my honest opinion:

Both parks are open from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm on Weds. I believe crowd levels will be minimal (crossing fingers).

That being said you can always UPGRADE your ticket to a park hopper. So my tentative itinerary for you guys would be as follows:

8:30 am - be at the gates at Islands of Adventure
    9:00 am - enter Islands of Adventure, make a right, walk through Seuss landing, walk through Lost Continent, go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. (if you want to get a wand from Olivandra's get in line there first)
    1. Ride the Forbidden Journey
    2. Ride Flight of the Hippogriff
    3. Ride Dragon Challenge
    4. (optional) ride Forbidden Journey again if the wait is under 90 mins
    5. go to Jurassic Park, ride Jurassic Park River Adventure
    6. Walk around Camp Jurassic
    7. go to Toon Lagoo, ride Popeye's Bildge Rat Barges
    8. walk around Me Ship the Olive
    9. go to Marvel Super Hero Island, ride Spider Man, and the Hulk
    10. Continue to Seuss Landing, ride Cat in the Hat, and High in the Sky Seuss Trolly Train ride (if wait is under 25 mins).
    11. go to the Lost Continent and experience Posideon's Fury, and then do a late lunch at Mythos.

At this point it might only be 2pm, and you would be then able to hop over to Universal Studios, and hit most of the major attractions.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Wow--I didn't expect a full plan. On my phone so hard to type--but really appreciate it! Sounds like a great plan! Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Ok my honest opinion:

Both parks are open from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm on Weds. I believe crowd levels will be minimal (crossing fingers).

That being said you can always UPGRADE your ticket to a park hopper. So my tentative itinerary for you guys would be as follows:

8:30 am - be at the gates at Islands of Adventure
    9:00 am - enter Islands of Adventure, make a right, walk through Seuss landing, walk through Lost Continent, go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. (if you want to get a wand from Olivandra's get in line there first)
    1. Ride the Forbidden Journey
    2. Ride Flight of the Hippogriff
    3. Ride Dragon Challenge
    4. (optional) ride Forbidden Journey again if the wait is under 90 mins
    5. go to Jurassic Park, ride Jurassic Park River Adventure
    6. Walk around Camp Jurassic
    7. go to Toon Lagoo, ride Popeye's Bildge Rat Barges
    8. walk around Me Ship the Olive
    9. go to Marvel Super Hero Island, ride Spider Man, and the Hulk
    10. Continue to Seuss Landing, ride Cat in the Hat, and High in the Sky Seuss Trolly Train ride (if wait is under 25 mins).
    11. go to the Lost Continent and experience Posideon's Fury, and then do a late lunch at Mythos.

At this point it might only be 2pm, and you would be then able to hop over to Universal Studios, and hit most of the major attractions.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I can help in the hotel dept. There are a couple Holiday Inns and a Hampton Inn that are practically across the street from Universal.

I'm going to be staying at the Holiday Inn on Kirkman Rd next month as I'll be up that way for a conference my work is doing. The hotel has been recently rennovated, and have been told it's nice.

Universal Orlando® Hotels - Hampton Inn Universal Orlando® Hotel, FL - Florida

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...us/hoteldetail

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...nce=6CBARCnull

Just enter your travel dates and it'll spit out the appropriate rates for you.

Awesome--thanks for the links. I am so very appreciative for all the help from the forums--my trip is all set now! Thanks to each of you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I can help in the hotel dept. There are a couple Holiday Inns and a Hampton Inn that are practically across the street from Universal.

I'm going to be staying at the Holiday Inn on Kirkman Rd next month as I'll be up that way for a conference my work is doing. The hotel has been recently rennovated, and have been told it's nice.

Universal Orlando® Hotels - Hampton Inn Universal Orlando® Hotel, FL - Florida

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...us/hoteldetail

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...nce=6CBARCnull

Just enter your travel dates and it'll spit out the appropriate rates for you.

Hi all!

I'll post a full trip report later in the week, but I wanted to give a brief thanks to all who gave me tips and advice. I ended up having a great visit to Islands of Adventure and am thankful for all the advice I had to help lead the way.

Brer Dan