• AKA: Indyiluvu

My First ever USO visit! March 24th 2011

Hello Everyone,

So first of all sorry for the delay, right before I left for Florida my computer died. I finally built a new PC and now have time to post this trip report.

So I had been to FL once before in 2006 but only visited WDW for 4 days. This time my Sister was going to be in Orlando for business and let me stay at her hotel for free! But it was a short trip, I had one day at USO and one day at WDW. My sister was working on the 24th so I went to Universal by myself.

I will post my WDW trip report in that forum but will link it to here when it gets posted.

Part 1: Let the adventure begin!

Woke up super early and got on the first shuttle to Universal.

First person in the regular line!

Got my map

And my ticketsThey let the early entry people in at 8am

Finally! The Adventure Begins!

They made us wait at this bridge

People coming in behind me

Hogwarts in the distance

Now it is starting to get crowded

And we're off...

No Running!!

Almost there!

The line into hogsmeade

Hogwarts!

Made it!

Went through the normal line first. People had run in front of me and with early entry the line was still only about 15min

Statue

Another Statue

More Statues

Warning!

Took a picture of moving painting, but it did not come out

Map

Dark Arts Classroom

Tried multiple times to get a good pic of the sorting hat, but this is the best I could do

So my very first ride, we got stopped for 15min while on our backs near the whomping willow. So of course I had to ride it again. I jumped in the single rider line this time

Then ending up riding 4 more times in the single rider line. The ride was amazing, and it was my favorite theme park ride that I had ever ridden (until I got on Star Tours the Adventures Continue).

Thanks for reading!

Up Next: More from the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter including Hogsmeade
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Re: My First ever USO visit! March 24th 2011

No Comments yet!? Anyways, for all two of you still reading, I should have part 2 up tonight when I am home from work.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Nice pics so far. As for no comments yet... people have probably been busy at work and haven't had a chance to check MC yet. Give it time. I've had threads that don't get any comments... whatever.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks for the comment

Okay, so Chapter 2: What else do they have at this "potterland"?

So after my 5th ride on the forbidden journey, I went through the rest of the wizzarding world. Saw some of the students of hogwarts

Thanks to the micechatters on here I decided to skip the hippogriph coaster, even people there getting off the ride said to skip it as it was very short.

I did want pics of the line and Hagrid's hut, so I went up the exit, and people started giving me weird stares, but I got my pics and left.

HOGSMEADE:

When I went into hogsmeade it was packed, being spring break season. Anyways the line for Olivander's was 2 hours and I never even bothered to wait in line for butter beer.

Then I went on the dragon rollercoaster. No pics because I left my camera in the free lockers, which was awesome at Universal and something I wish Disney did more. I used the express pass on this coaster that saved me 30min, but when I got to the front of the line the ride added annother train and was shut down for 30min, so I lost that time. I thought the ride was awesome, and allmost hitting the other cars was a neat twist, but I felt it was a little too short.

Leaving Potter Land...

Up next Season 3: You mean there's other stuff here besides wizzards?
    Last edited by Indiana Joe; 06-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If your looking for comments maybe you could offer us some more of your thoughts on what you experienced and how you thought it compared to not only Walt Disney World (which parks did you do?) and any other parks you have experienced. Personally, it being my parks of choice at the moment, I know what Universal Orlando looks like, but I am interested to know what a first timer thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    If your looking for comments maybe you could offer us some more of your thoughts on what you experienced and how you thought it compared to not only Walt Disney World (which parks did you do?) and any other parks you have experienced. Personally, it being my parks of choice at the moment, I know what Universal Orlando looks like, but I am interested to know what a first timer thought.
    Thanks, I was really impressed with Islands of Adventure, but not so much by Universal Studios (But more on that when I get to those pics). As I said before I really liked the free lockers, and I wish Disney would offer these as well. Although I did not know why they charged for lockers for the Jurrassic Park ride, when all the other lockers were free? I asked the person working the jurassic park ride what about my camera? And they told me both times that lockers were not required and my camera should be fine. Well the ride got me more soaked than I have ever been on a theme park ride, but luckily I had a plastic shopping bag that I was able to store my camera in and it did not get wet. But I was still nervous about my camera and phone.

I thought that harry potter, jurassic park and lost continet were all very well themed and on par with disney. I will comment more on WDW when I get to the next day of my trip report, but I felt that IOA was a more fun park to me than either Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. (Although I did not visit DHS this trip). And my favorite parks in FL that I have been to are still Epcot and Animal Kingdom. As a out of state vistior, I like those two the most because of their amazing theming, but I could see as a local visiting Universal a lot more as they had some amazing rides I think, especially the Forbidden Journey, which as I said is now my second favorite theme park ride I have ever ridden. Where as Epcot is amazing, it is mostly eating and shopping with a couple of rides (test track and mission space).

more updates coming soon.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Great photos! I love it! Keep sharing!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

So I had this whole section typed out and then my browser crashed Okay, here we go again.

Season 3: You mean there's other stuff here besides Wizzards?

So after Potterland, I went to the lost continent. Did all of Potterland used to be part of this land? I know they had the two rollercoasters there allready, but did Hogwarts replace anything? I did not watch Sinbad as I normally don't watch shows unless I have extra time after riding all the rides as I am more of a ride person. This may be something I check out on my next visit.

Anyways, I went on Posiedon's Fury, not know what it was or what to expect, but I loved it.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an equivalent at Disney where they have a walk through attraction with a live tour guide. Our guide was great but I forgot to get his name to give him a compliment at guest services later. He was really funny and full of energy. I thought the effects were also well done. Not sure how this attraction holds up with the locals, but as a one day visitor, I loved it. Probably one of my favorites in the park and my biggest surprise. Also, thought the theming was very well done.

I only had so much time as I was visiting both parks so I just walked through Seuss Landing. Was this a mistake? Ar there rides that adults can enjoy like at fantasy land at Disney? Of is it more geared to kids only?

Anyways I went through Suess landing and straight to Marel Super Hero Island.

I LOVED the spiderman ride! (not pictured). I read here on micechat that they are re-animating the ride, but I thought the cartoon graphics were perfect for bringing us into the comic books.
    I'm still not sure how they made the cars go up buildings and fall back down, very impressive.

Next was the Hulk Coaster. It was a very good coaster, but I made the mistake of riding right before I ate lunch and started to get light headed.

My last ride before I went to Universal Studios was Jurassic Park. I have never ridden this ride at Universal Hollywood, and was looking forward to riding for the first time here. I have to say I was a little disappointed on this ride. The dinosaurs were neat, but the ride was WAY to short. I got soaked! And I was disappointed in the lack of free lockers (see my comments above about the lockers). By devoting a whole land to Jurassic Park and having the Visitor's Center, I had allways imagined a bigger ride than Hollywood (is the Hollywood one this short as well?) So yeah that was my biggest let down of the day. I am just glad I had the express pass and only waited 10min. If I had to wait one hour in the regular line I would have been very upset.

So that was my day at Islands of Adventure, but I did come back and re-ride a few things at the end.

So my favorites at IOA were:

1) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
    2) Spider Man
    3) Poseidon's Fury
    4) Hulk Coaster
    5) Dueling Dragons

Things I missed:
    Flight of the Hippogriph, Seuss Landing, Doctor Doom's Fearfall, Dudley Do-Right, Popeye Barges,

Up next: Book 4: There is still a whole other park to visit!?
    Last edited by Indiana Joe; 06-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Book 4: There is still a whole other park to visit!?

Sorry I should have mentioned before, I live in Southern California, but have not been to Universal Studios Hollywood since 1985! lol. But reading here on mice chat I know what rides they have at both parks, but this was my first time on all of these rides, so I cannot compare the two versions.

But already I could tell that not having a movie studio and tram tour made the park suffer greatly. The tram tour is one my most vivid memories of my visit to the LA park so many years ago.

So here we go to Universal Studios Orlando.

Entering the park

First Stop, T2:3D - my first time seeing this.

I thought the show was pretty good, but I can see as a local who visits the park often how this could allready be getting old. No fault of the attraction itself as it was very well made, but movie attractions tend to not last as long. I mean there have allready been 2 more Terminatior movies made.

Next onto the Simpsons Ride. Now I am a huge Simpsons nerd and have been watching the show since the first episode aired and I loved this ride. I rode it twice and want to go to Universal Studios Hollywood just to ride it again. The jokes were great and the episode and character references were good too. Very well written. And the ride was just fun. I know a lot of people are sad about losing back to the future, but sadly I can't comment because I never got to ride BTTF, although I always wanted to.

The men in black ride was next and I had some mixed feelings about it. I thought the queue was well themed, but the ride left me kinda cold, hard to describe it, but it just seemed like it was a ride that had to grow on you. I would probably have to go on it again to really get a sense of the ride, cause I didn't even realize you could even shoot the other car until like half way through.

Next was the Jaws Ride. I thought this was descent, but nothing special. Felt like a rip off of the tram ride.

Disaster! Felt just like the part of the studio tour at Disney MGM (as it was when I went in 2006). I thought it was lame at Disney and at Universal. The execution was descent, but I am not into these types of attractions where they green screen you into a movie. Some people there seemed to enjoy it, but not my cup of tea I guess.

The mummy!

I had mixed feeling on this as well, although mostly positive. I liked the ride overall, that fake ending was awesome as well as the fire ceiling. Also enjoyed going backwards. Surprised me the first time. But thought it was weird and couldn;t understand, were you supposed to be entering the world of the movie? Then why in the pre-show were the actors playing themselves? This confused me a lot. And the end scene with Brandon Frasier asking for his coffee just seemed so wierd and out of place. So we go through this ancient temple with booby traps and crazy things and then we are on a movie studio? Can someone explain this to me please?

I then rode rip-ride-rockit I think 3 times. That ride is deceptive because it looks way scarrier than it is.

Then back to IOA for annother 5-times on the forbidden journey in single rider line.

Then since it was humid, and there was no line, for my final ride, I went on Jurassic Park again. This time I had an entire boat to myself as I was the only one in line or on the ride! That was awesome, but this time riding it, the T-Rex was broken and static. I got soaked!

I had some extra time to kill before the hotel shuttle was arriving, so I went to the gift store and did some shopping.

Overall I was super exhaused, but had a blast! I was a little let down by Universal Studios and Jurassic Park, but Harry Potter lived up to my high expectations, especially the forbidden journey. That ride is worth a trip to florida alone for me. But yeah, Universal Studios seemed to have less to do than Islands of Adventure, which is weird since it is the older park. Maybe because Universal Studios had a lot of shows, and 3D movies which nothing against them, but as I said I am more of a ride guy.

So my favorite rides that I rode at Universal Studios were:

1) Simpsons Ride
    2) Revenge of the Mummy
    3) ummm.......

Things I missed:
    ET, Shrek, Twister, All the shows,

So I had a blast. I would come back for Islands of Adventure, but not for Universal Studios. I felt like they just took all the rides from USH and dumped them into florida. I am glad I had the express pass as it helped me (along with single rider) to get on most big rides at least twice. Also I liked the dining pass, I just wished they would have had an upgrade option for a little more to add a drink to all your meals. I used the meal pass 3 times so I figure I got my money's worth. Although I probably should have known better than to order Chinese food at a theme park as it was bad, but the burgers and such were on par with Disney. Not great, but what you expect at a theme park.

I will ranks all the theme parks that I have visited in order when I finish my Disney World Trip Report for March 25th. So look for that in the WDW forum, and I will post a link here when that report is up.

Thanks for reading!
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

So here is my Trip Report from WDW which was the next day March 25th

My Second Ever WDW Visit! March 25, 2011

Enjoy!
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I only had so much time as I was visiting both parks so I just walked through Seuss Landing. Was this a mistake? Ar there rides that adults can enjoy like at fantasy land at Disney? Of is it more geared to kids only?
    If you read any of Dr. Seuss' books as a kid, you definitely should have taken the time to explore Seuss Landing. I read a ton of Seuss books when I was a kid, so I love this section of IOA. The Cat in the Hat ride is cute and fun. I especially love the little area devoted to The Lorax, which is my favorite Seuss book (I still own a copy to this day along with a plushie Lorax).