Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: Wall Street Journal: Wizarding World Coming to Universal Hollywood

I just hope USH doesnt opt for a cheapo version like they have done in the past for other duplicate attractions

• Timelord

I've never understood why they can't just build more land. If they have the land, but so much of it is lower in elevation, what's to stop them from building it up and creating more higher elevation land that can be used for expansion?

Also, to someone who mentioned the Special Effects Stage being cut as a possibility, due to it being used for Bill and Ted I highly doubt they would demolish it. If anything, they would remove the show and replace it with a HP show.

• Banned User

In this LA Times article, it tells you where Universal Studios will make future changes. Many here have said they could remove Gibsons and Waterworld, but I don't think so. They are a few attractions here and there and not enough land to recreate Hogswart and Hogsmeade. Besides, removing Gibsons will remove the possibility of The Blue Man group coming to the West Coast (besides Las Vegas). They want a permanent tourist show at CityWalk.

Universal Studios Future Plans | Universal Studios Hollywood lays out 20-year plan for future theme park attractions - Los Angeles Times

It is likely they will remove sections of the Studios Tours. Many outdated tour attractions can be taken out like Jaws lake, the revolving tunnel, the War of the Worlds plane crash site, and Whoville. They are movie sets, which are easily demolished and wouldn't take much time unlike taking out Water World and Gibson. The tram ride can easily go around it, or better if they can recreate the Train ride from the Harry Potter books and take you there from the park entrance via a Train station.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by 40 mph View Post
    I can't forsee it being in the bottom part of the park for one other reason. In Florida, when the park opens, people make a mad dash to that area.

Now, imagine throngs of people trying to make a mad dash through those massive stairs and escalators.

Putting it where Waterworld is may make better sense, since it's closer to the park entrance.

No matter where you put it, people will be rushing to that area.
    Yes, and having worked at USH, they close the lower lot earlier than the rest of the park because of those escalators. They need the time to get guests out of that area before closing, so everything (used to anyway) closes before the rest of the park does. Granted, there are some major attractions already down there, like Jurassic Park and Mummy, but still, to add Harry Potter to that would be interesting logistically.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    I've never understood why they can't just build more land. If they have the land, but so much of it is lower in elevation, what's to stop them from building it up and creating more higher elevation land that can be used for expansion?

Also, to someone who mentioned the Special Effects Stage being cut as a possibility, due to it being used for Bill and Ted I highly doubt they would demolish it. If anything, they would remove the show and replace it with a HP show.
    Cost and safety. Moving that much earth in to raise land is one of the most expensive things that one can do in construction. It can't just be dumped in as the entire thing needs to be engineered, designed, and executed with government oversight. If I am thinking of the right area, there is quite the drop there and the amount of dirt required to fill it up would equate to a small mountain (quite literally). Also, you would have to pack the entire thing so that the next earthquake doesn't shake the whole addition down. I don't think any company wants to spend millions, or even billions just to move dirt.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post

As was said above, it's not just "making more land". USH is first and foremost a movie studio. More $$ is made from that than the theme park. Unless they are totally going to abandon the studio (unlikely) they aren't going to infringe on existing studio space.

Having a "Tram Drive Through" of WoTW, etc is one thing. Building an entire theme park land where WoTW is, quite a different proposition. Not to even mention the neighbors that border that area of the park.

As for Bill and Ted ... if the Special Effects goes, who's to say they couldn't put it in the T2 building?

Put it this way, they aren't going to save the theater that could be used for HP for Bill and Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    In this LA Times article, it tells you where Universal Studios will make future changes. Many here have said they could remove Gibsons and Waterworld, but I don't think so. They are a few attractions here and there and not enough land to recreate Hogswart and Hogsmeade. Besides, removing Gibsons will remove the possibility of The Blue Man group coming to the West Coast (besides Las Vegas). They want a permanent tourist show at CityWalk.

Universal Studios Future Plans | Universal Studios Hollywood lays out 20-year plan for future theme park attractions - Los Angeles Times

It is likely they will remove sections of the Studios Tours. Many outdated tour attractions can be taken out like Jaws lake, the revolving tunnel, the War of the Worlds plane crash site, and Whoville. They are movie sets, which are easily demolished and wouldn't take much time unlike taking out Water World and Gibson. The tram ride can easily go around it, or better if they can recreate the Train ride from the Harry Potter books and take you there from the park entrance via a Train station.
    There have been talks, even before HP, about removing Gibson and building a smaller theater, which could possibly hold Blue Man group. I've been to two concerts at Gibson this year. One was a total sell-out (Rush) and the other was MAYBE 1/3 full (Paul Simon).

I just don't think having that size of a theater makes sense anymore.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

Hopefully the expansion areas in this article are where the park actually expands to. If Universal keeps demolishing something every time they build something new they will continue to stay basically slightly more than a half-day park for me. While the WWoHP could change that a little if other attractions were taken out and it replaced them, I'd really like to see the park actually expand by adding areas over by Falls Lake/War of the Worlds/Mummy Tunnel etc. Who knows, maybe they could expand out that way w/WWoHP and built a Platform 9 3/4 by the tram area and then you could take the Hogwarts Express out to that area? It's a long shot, but then I get to keep Waterworld!

Admittedly though I could probably do without half of whats currently on the Upper Lot.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Circle of Ancients

^ Unfortunately, USH was never meant to be anything but the Studio Tour and Shows when it first opened, and that's really all it was.

I mean, the first non-tour ride didn't even open until 1991 (ET). Before then it was the tour and shows.

So while it would be nice if USH could expand without removing existing things, it's just not going to happen as they don't have the room.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    I just hope USH doesnt opt for a cheapo version like they have done in the past for other duplicate attractions
    I don't think they can with J.K. Rowling in the mix. She won't let them do it. Just look at how detailed the one in Florida is, and that's not typically Universal's style. So, she made them go above and beyond, and it's been making them money because of those details. People know quality when they see it. So, even if USH wants to go cheap here, they really can't.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, USH was never meant to be anything but the Studio Tour and Shows when it first opened, and that's really all it was.

I mean, the first non-tour ride didn't even open until 1991 (ET). Before then it was the tour and shows.

So while it would be nice if USH could expand without removing existing things, it's just not going to happen as they don't have the room.
    This is true, and while I understand that they don't have any expansion plots open per se, I guess I'm just hoping that instead of removing an actual attraction within the park they decide to expand the park further out into the backlot as that LA Times article suggests. While there is certainly no space to just add something without first taking something out in the park, Falls Lake and War of the Worlds are two HUGE areas that provide a very minimal return to the park and are rarely used for filming (albeit Falls Lake does have several huge sets built there from time to time but there are plenty of other places away from that area to build huge sets where blue screens could easily be set up). A set like War of the Worlds was cool when it first opened and although it is still pretty neat it references a movie scene that, for the most part, no one remembers (and it's not like the studio gets any use out of it). And we all know the Mummy Tunnel needs replacing. I'm not totally sure how the park and studio interact, but the article seems to imply that they've though about expansion out that way.

Basically my vote is to expand the theme park out into that area of the studio. Again, a long shot, but if they had a big draw out there like Harry Potter then feasibly they could rely on getting people there via a train like the Hogwarts Express from a Platform 9 3/4 by the studio tour.

---------- Post added 12-02-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I don't think they can with J.K. Rowling in the mix. She won't let them do it. Just look at how detailed the one in Florida is, and that's not typically Universal's style. So, she made them go above and beyond, and it's been making them money because of those details. People know quality when they see it. So, even if USH wants to go cheap here, they really can't.
    You mean that's not typically Universal's style on the west coast, IOA and the new Singapore park are incredibly well themed. Although I do agree that I think we're safe here, JK Rowling doesn't seem like someone who's going to let something sub-par slip by.
    Last edited by cruise; 12-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Toad Hall

best news since carsland
    <font size=4> </font>

• Circle of Ancients

I don't think it's fair to say that HP "Wasn't Universals Style".

Prior to HP they had plenty of well themed attractions and lands. Especially in the FL property. All of IOA was fantastic prior to HP. Spiderman is still the best ride I've EVER been on (Haven't done HP yet).

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This is true, and while I understand that they don't have any expansion plots open per se, I guess I'm just hoping that instead of removing an actual attraction within the park they decide to expand the park further out into the backlot as that LA Times article suggests. While there is certainly no space to just add something without first taking something out in the park, Falls Lake and War of the Worlds are two HUGE areas that provide a very minimal return to the park and are rarely used for filming (albeit Falls Lake does have several huge sets built there from time to time but there are plenty of other places away from that area to build huge sets where blue screens could easily be set up). A set like War of the Worlds was cool when it first opened and although it is still pretty neat it references a movie scene that, for the most part, no one remembers (and it's not like the studio gets any use out of it). And we all know the Mummy Tunnel needs replacing. I'm not totally sure how the park and studio interact, but the article seems to imply that they've though about expansion out that way.

Basically my vote is to expand the theme park out into that area of the studio. Again, a long shot, but if they had a big draw out there like Harry Potter then feasibly they could rely on getting people there via a train like the Hogwarts Express from a Platform 9 3/4 by the studio tour.

---------- Post added 12-02-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

You mean that's not typically Universal's style on the west coast, IOA and the new Singapore park are incredibly well themed. Although I do agree that I think we're safe here, JK Rowling doesn't seem like someone who's going to let something sub-par slip by.
    Of course your vote is for them to get out of the studio business ... but it's just not going to happen.

As for the expansion ... if they too, the existing Waterworld, Gibson, Shrek and the Tram Load/Unload (and a few of those other backstage area's, maybe even all the way to the Mummy Tunnel) it would be bigger than the existing land (not counting in Dragon Challenge which is a HUGE ride that won't be coming to USH anyway).

There have already been rumors regarding the tram load/unload moving to the lower lot. And it could be done easily using the overflow Jurassic Park queue which is NEVER used except during HHN.

It will certainly be interesting whatever happens.

Yes, and having worked at USH, they close the lower lot earlier than the rest of the park because of those escalators. They need the time to get guests out of that area before closing, so everything (used to anyway) closes before the rest of the park does. Granted, there are some major attractions already down there, like Jurassic Park and Mummy, but still, to add Harry Potter to that would be interesting logistically.
    Off topic, but it will also be interesting logistically to see how it's going to work with "Transformer" down there. The will probably not be closing the lower lot earlier(which is still the practice)during the first year of so of "Transformers". I can see them distributing "fast pass" type appointment times, giving each guest a window when they can visit lower lot, ala "Potter" in Orlando. We shall see.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say that HP "Wasn't Universals Style".

Prior to HP they had plenty of well themed attractions and lands. Especially in the FL property. All of IOA was fantastic prior to HP. Spiderman is still the best ride I've EVER been on (Haven't done HP yet).

I agree that i LOVE Islands of Adventure but the Cartoon strip area and Marvel Island wasn't the "detail" people are pining for.

Universal has proved that they can do something amazing if they tried.. but even when it's really close to being amazing, they don't do enough (Jurassic Park has a few missfires in execution keeping it from being as amazing as it deserves to be).

BUT... Harry Potter definitely pushed their own envelope and even Disney's as far as creating an entire land based on one property. In the past, building A RIDE was good enough but because so many people do one rides, it's not a draw anymore. Creating the LAND is what makes headlines nowadays.

...unfortunately.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Off topic, but it will also be interesting logistically to see how it's going to work with "Transformer" down there. The will probably not be closing the lower lot earlier(which is still the practice)during the first year of so of "Transformers". I can see them distributing "fast pass" type appointment times, giving each guest a window when they can visit lower lot, ala "Potter" in Orlando. We shall see.
    I can't give specifics, but I'm hearing operating hours are going to expand greatly once Transformers opens.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast