Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Wall Street Journal: Wizarding World Coming to Universal Hollywood

My hope is that they create a totally new Wizarding World by taking away from the tram ride than converting the Upper Lot. The park needs much more. Like other here, I consider the park a half day visit. A third land makes more sense.

Another article says they will bring in the Wizarding World "as is". I don't know how they will be able to do this by ripping out the upper lot attractions. Trying to retrofit it into the land will limit or prevent possible additions. I do think Waterworld can go. The replacement can be the train station to Hogsmeade.

Some here say use other portions of the Harry Potter books instead of Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. I don't think most people are familiar with the other stories. They are featured intermitantly in the movies.

As for Gibson, retrofitting it will allow it work as a smaller venue. Many theaters are convertible that changes the seating configuration. They could tear out the seats. Add in movable walls and seats. Lower the ceiling. Why tear out something of value? Why add another couple of million dollars to the price tag?

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    My hope is that they create a totally new Wizarding World by taking away from the tram ride than converting the Upper Lot. The park needs much more. Like other here, I consider the park a half day visit. A third land makes more sense.

Another article says they will bring in the Wizarding World "as is". I don't know how they will be able to do this by ripping out the upper lot attractions. Trying to retrofit it into the land will limit or prevent possible additions. I do think Waterworld can go. The replacement can be the train station to Hogsmeade.

Some here say use other portions of the Harry Potter books instead of Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. I don't think most people are familiar with the other stories. They are featured intermitantly in the movies.

As for Gibson, retrofitting it will allow it work as a smaller venue. Many theaters are convertible that changes the seating configuration. They could tear out the seats. Add in movable walls and seats. Lower the ceiling. Why tear out something of value? Why add another couple of million dollars to the price tag?
    Lower lot would be great, but again, due to filming, it would be hard to do unless they paint the backs of the buildings a neutral color.

I'd love to see them get rid of trash on the tour like the Fast and the Furious area and the War of the Worlds set, but I don't see it happening.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough anyways.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    Lower lot would be great, but again, due to filming, it would be hard to do unless they paint the backs of the buildings a neutral color.

I'd love to see them get rid of trash on the tour like the Fast and the Furious area and the War of the Worlds set, but I don't see it happening.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough anyways.
    I'm not referring to the lower lots. I was referring to The War of the Worlds, the Jaws lake (goodbye the Jaws attraction in Orlando), Whoville, etc. This area is on the hill in the ending portion of the Studios Tour. I believe this is a perfect area for having the Hogmeade village and Hogwarts. There would be room for expansion as it is shown at Universal IOA that there is demand for more Harry Potter attractions.

I would like to see the development of a land complete with evening fireworks or light shows that mimic the quidditch game or wizards lightening bolts and such. There is much potential about what people would like to see.

I wonder why you don't see it happening. Is there more to why you think Universal will only develop the Upper Lot and thus, handicap the Wizarding World's potential as well as codify Universal Studios' reputation as a half day park?

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Yep, is OFFICIAL!

I will be at the Media Press Event tomorrow. Can't wait.

The only down side is that I can't post any information on here or My YouTube, but will give you guys a link to another awesome Youtube channel for the video.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Minion

I'm not referring to the lower lots. I was referring to The War of the Worlds, the Jaws lake (goodbye the Jaws attraction in Orlando), Whoville, etc. This area is on the hill in the ending portion of the Studios Tour. I believe this is a perfect area for having the Hogmeade village and Hogwarts. There would be room for expansion as it is shown at Universal IOA that there is demand for more Harry Potter attractions.

I would like to see the development of a land complete with evening fireworks or light shows that mimic the quidditch game or wizards lightening bolts and such. There is much potential about what people would like to see.

I wonder why you don't see it happening. Is there more to why you think Universal will only develop the Upper Lot and thus, handicap the Wizarding World's potential as well as codify Universal Studios' reputation as a half day park?
    This brings up many concerns.

1) How will guests get to this area? A "Hogwarts Express" tram could work but where would it load/unload from?

2) The proposed locations are in close proximity to numerous active production areas. Quiet zones are an absolute necessity in filming. What happens to this new land when filming is quite literally yards away.

3) The proposed area sits directly below a residential area on a hill. These residents already complain about sound coming from WW. As it is, there already is a noise restriction in that area within certain hours to keep the neighbors at bay.

what about creating the land somewhere else and you have to get there by hogwarts express hmmmmmmm

• Dream in wonderful color!

The press event is scheduled to begin at 11am PT tomorrow!

Harry Potter is making his Los Angeles debut on Tuesday.

Executives from Universal Studios and Warner Bros. will unveil and for the first time publicly discuss their plans to build the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood at a late-morning news conference. Universal announced the event, stating in an email that it would be "hosting a Butterbeer toast to celebrate a very special announcement."

People close to the matter but not authorized to discuss the event beforehand confirmed it would be the unveiling of plans to duplicate the massively successful Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction from Universal Studios Orlando at the L.A. theme park.

Top executives from Warner Bros., which made the "Potter" films and controls licensing rights to author J.K. Rowling's books about the boy wizard, will be in attendance along with those from Universal. They will include the leaders of both companies: Warner Chairman Barry Meyer and Universal President Ron Meyer (no relation).

In addition, demonstrating the significance of what will likely be a huge investment in building the Potter-themed rides and shops, along with the longer-term boost to tourism, California Gov. Jerry Brown will be in attendance.
    Harry Potter attraction plans at Universal Hollywood coming Tuesday - latimes.com
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

i wish i was not working today, i would of went to this. or maybe its at the globe like the one for the jimmy fallon stuff was and i can see it while working

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    This brings up many concerns..
    I think it might be better to wait for the formal announcement in few hours, yet I'm tempted to respond to your questions.

1) How will guests get to this area? A "Hogwarts Express" tram could work but where would it load/unload from?.
    They could build a station to load where Waterworld is currently at, or where the current Studios Tour load station is. If they build Hogmeade village, the station will have to be built to unload.

I can also see the tram from the Studios Tours unload passengers as the last stop before returning.

They would still have to build a road for the guests to walk back to the upper lot. This is necessary to evaculate the area in case of an emergency. I don't think it is very long. Look at how long guests walk from Disneyland's main entrance to the Mickey and Friends lot on a very busy day.

2) The proposed locations are in close proximity to numerous active production areas. Quiet zones are an absolute necessity in filming. What happens to this new land when filming is quite literally yards away.
    This area is where the Studios Tour happens. In most of my trips, there doesn't seem to be much filming. The trams aren't causing much concern as far as I can tell. When there is filming, obviously the trams are routed away from it. The theme park portion seldom interferes with production. Once they set aside the Wizarding World, the production sites will avoid it. Why do you think War of the World (2005) and Whoville (2000) lasted so long? No new production will replace them and its been years since the movies were released.

3) The proposed area sits directly below a residential area on a hill. These residents already complain about sound coming from WW. As it is, there already is a noise restriction in that area within certain hours to keep the neighbors at bay.
    The restrictions will remain I suppose, but let not get ahead of ourselves. There is plenty of things they can still do to keep the noise down.

what time is the press confrence?

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I agree that i LOVE Islands of Adventure but the Cartoon strip area and Marvel Island wasn't the "detail" people are pining for.

Universal has proved that they can do something amazing if they tried.. but even when it's really close to being amazing, they don't do enough (Jurassic Park has a few missfires in execution keeping it from being as amazing as it deserves to be).

BUT... Harry Potter definitely pushed their own envelope and even Disney's as far as creating an entire land based on one property. In the past, building A RIDE was good enough but because so many people do one rides, it's not a draw anymore. Creating the LAND is what makes headlines nowadays.

...unfortunately.
    Yes, this is basically what I meant. Universal has some truly great areas, but often they just don't go far enough. Usually, it's a money issue. with Harry Potter, they didn't skimp on a single detail, and it shows. It's even above what Disney has been doing lately.

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:51 AM ----------

Wizarding World shouldn't be all that noisy, if they don't add an outdoor coaster. There are not loud explosions or effects, like Waterworld to complain about. I know that's why USH doesn't have fireworks shows, because of the neighbors, so I'm sure if WWOHP was to go anywhere in the production areas, they would make sure to soundproof it, or not have anything "noisy" to upset the neighbors.

I am very curious where they will decide to put it though, so many options, all of them interesting logistically.
    Last edited by gurgi; 12-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.

• Banned User

@disneysnout: It's supposed to be at eleven this morning.

• Blue Skywalker

Lightbulb Re: Wall Street Journal: Wizarding World Coming to Universal Hollywood

I was interested in knowing how Wizarding World might fit into Universal Studios Hollywood. With things moved around a bit, it just might work. See photo here:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/harrypotteratush.jpg

• Minion

Now it's official. Follow @TPAMagazine for live tweets

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

Orlando is expanding their WWoHP

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:16 AM ----------

It's official: Wizarding World of Harry Potter is coming... on Twitpic

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:17 AM ----------

Weasley twins
    Fantastic surprise! The Phelps brothers! on Twitpic

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:17 AM ----------

USH getting Forbidden Journey

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:19 AM ----------

Wish I could have been at work today to see this press conference...

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 11:28 AM ----------

FJ will sit within current theme park boundaries but no location has been announced

• Theme Park Insider

I'm not referring to the lower lots. I was referring to The War of the Worlds, the Jaws lake (goodbye the Jaws attraction in Orlando), Whoville, etc. This area is on the hill in the ending portion of the Studios Tour. I believe this is a perfect area for having the Hogmeade village and Hogwarts. There would be room for expansion as it is shown at Universal IOA that there is demand for more Harry Potter attractions. I would like to see the development of a land complete with evening fireworks or light shows that mimic the quidditch game or wizards lightening bolts and such. There is much potential about what people would like to see. I wonder why you don't see it happening. Is there more to why you think Universal will only develop the Upper Lot and thus, handicap the Wizarding World's potential as well as codify Universal Studios' reputation as a half day park?
    I used to be a tour guide on the tram there, and I remember hearing things about expansion. The problem with the area you're mentioning is that there are too many noise complaints from the residential housing near that area of the studio lot, so it's pretty much a given that no rides or coasters will EVER be built right there, unfortunately. The Upper Lot is a lot more realistic.

But I'm just as curious as everyone else where they're going to put this place! I'm happy about it, though...I can't afford to travel to Florida, and I was so hoping I'd get to taste Butterbeer one day.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast