Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• I'm the Doctor

Universal Orlando: JAWS the Ride to close forever?!

Morning folks. The rumor this morning is that the Jaws ride will permanently close on January 2,2012. This news was found on a facebook page that is run by a Jaws fan site. According to comments made the decision was made this morning and will be announced later today. Beyond that post I can't find any other confirmation on this so stay tuned

---------- Post added 12-02-2011 at 07:53 AM ----------

Additional RUmor: A Potter expansion would replace it with the Hogwarts Express taking you between parks.

---------- Post added 12-02-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

It's now been confirmed via Universal's official facebook page
    Wall Photos | Facebook

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Universal Orlando: JAWS the Ride to close forever?!

I am sooo upset. I don't even have words.

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.

— with Peyton Beninate and Jordan Hamelin.
    While I want the parks to stay fresh, and while I accepted the replacement of Back to the Future, I feel that there are other things in the park that need replacing

Studio 44
    Fear Factor LIVE stage
    Terminator 2
    Shrek 4-D

JAWS is the Universal equivalent to the Jungle Cruise. I go on it every time I am at Universal, I love the skippers, I love the whole experience.

This better be one he*l of an experience if it is going to replace JAWS.

---------- Post added 12-02-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

In loving memory of JAWS. I will ride you as much as I can until January 2nd
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Agreed...that's a damn shame, and Jaws is a classic film even now. This is a loss of an amazing ride and one the guides could keep fresh, not a film based one....very sad to hear this.

The claim that it would be for somehow tying into Potterland/Hogsmeade is very far fetched from what I know...separate theme parks and all, but I'm no layout expert for USO. Is this area of the park even close to IoA? If it turns out to be for Transformers (like Hollywood is building), for shame....Transformers is no Jaws, on any level, as a film. No staying power.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Agreed...that's a damn shame, and Jaws is a classic film even now. This is a loss of an amazing ride and one the guides could keep fresh, not a film based one....very sad to hear this.

The claim that it would be for somehow tying into Potterland/Hogsmeade is very far fetched from what I know...separate theme parks and all, but I'm no layout expert for USO. Is this area of the park even close to IoA? If it turns out to be for Transformers (like Hollywood is building), for shame....Transformers is no Jaws, on any level, as a film. No staying power.
    JAWS is on the opposite end of the park from IOA. If they were to install a Hogwarts Express than you needed a park hopper to use i would be 100% for that.

However that being said the replacement for JAWS needs to DARN good!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If it is for more Harry Potter I fear it may be putting too many eggs in one basket.

The other issue is that Universal Studios Florida has not had something completely new in some time. The park needs to increase its offerings, not just keep replacing existing attractions.

Guessing it's Transformers. Really bad decision though, Jaws is a CLASSIC, Universal are getting a reputation for tearing out classics to make way for new attractions now, ther's a big plot of land behind Simpsons why not just use that and add to the parks attraction count!

Also, none of the new attractions since IOA opened have actually been Universal intellectual property! It's been a pattern of tearing out the actual Universal themed attractions and replacing them with attractions based on movie franchises owned by other studio's. Universal is really watering down it's own brand in my opinion.
    Disneyland Paris: August 1999 Sante Fe - October 2000 Sante Fe - March 2002 Sante Fe - November 2010 Cheyenne
    Walt Disney World: May 2011 All Star Movies - November 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Tokyo Disney Resort: 2012 (hopefully!)

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I feel that there are other things in the park that need replacing

Fear Factor LIVE stage
    Fear Factor is being brought back to TV with Joe Rogan, so it probably won't go away any time soon.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    Fear Factor is being brought back to TV with Joe Rogan, so it probably won't go away any time soon.
    sadly this is true

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    JAWS is on the opposite end of the park from IOA. If they were to install a Hogwarts Express than you needed a park hopper to use i would be 100% for that.

However that being said the replacement for JAWS needs to DARN good!
    That idea may have some legs!

Enjoy reading your informative posts about Universal, Eric.......love it there!

Quote Originally Posted by ben1993 View Post
    Guessing it's Transformers. Really bad decision though, Jaws is a CLASSIC, Universal are getting a reputation for tearing out classics to make way for new attractions now, ther's a big plot of land behind Simpsons why not just use that and add to the parks attraction count!

Also, none of the new attractions since IOA opened have actually been Universal intellectual property! It's been a pattern of tearing out the actual Universal themed attractions and replacing them with attractions based on movie franchises owned by other studio's. Universal is really watering down it's own brand in my opinion.
    Don't think that this is going to be Transformers........they already have similar ride technology with Spiderman.........that would be a real yawner. If they need to get rid of Spiderman eventually because of the Disney/Marvel thing........I can see Transformers making its way to IOA in Spiderman's place.

My thinking is that it could be for a future themed "land" much like WWOHP.......with 2 Hobbit films coming out down the pike and 3 LOTR films already firmly entrenched in everyone's cine-psyche.......what if Universal pulled another coup and got the rights to Peter Jackson's fantasy epic?!?! Universal has already established a relationship with Jackson with King Kong at USH. This would give USF a premiere film series to plan new attractions around and would definitely be a draw much like WWOHP is for IOA.

I can see it now.........Disney (Lucas/Cameron) vs. Universal (Harry Potter/Jackson)......theme park wars.......bring it on!
    Last edited by mainejeff; 12-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Transformers would not cut it. It would be a sin to waste any vacant space on anything BUT Potter for Universal Orlando.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    That idea may have some legs!

Enjoy reading your informative posts about Universal, Eric.......love it there!

Don't think that this is going to be Transformers........they already have similar ride technology with Spiderman.........that would be a real yawner. If they need to get rid of Spiderman eventually because of the Disney/Marvel thing........I can see Transformers making its way to IOA in Spiderman's place.

My thinking is that it could be for a future themed "land" much like WWOHP.......with 2 Hobbit films coming out down the pike and 3 LOTR films already firmly entrenched in everyone's cine-psyche.......what if Universal pulled another coup and got the rights to Peter Jackson's fantasy epic?!?! Universal has already established a relationship with Jackson with King Kong at USH. This would give USF a premiere film series to plan new attractions around and would definitely be a draw much like WWOHP is for IOA.

I can see it now.........Disney (Lucas/Cameron) vs. Universal (Harry Potter/Jackson)......theme park wars.......bring it on!
    Disney already owns the rights to Percy Jackson.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Glad we got to ride again back in October.

The thing about Jaws is it anchors an entire 'land' in USO. So the whole Amityville area needs to go.. and while I would not morn the loss of any of the carnival stuff out there, it's going to be quite a dramatic impact on USO.

That's why I don't see them doing anything like transformers which would only be a single ride. Having it and spiderman wouldn't be too far fetched.. I mean Disney had ST and BodyWars.. which were effectively the same thing. Same with all the 4D movies, etc.

For those poo'in on T2 and Shrek 4D, as a non-frequent visitor I think both are still plenty good. T2 wasn't great for my little ones due to the noise, but they liked both otherwise.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    Disney already owns the rights to Percy Jackson.
    They said Peter, not Percy.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    They said Peter, not Percy.
    The offical name is Percy Jackson, unless what your talking about is very different from the modern day, greek book series.

Quoting the post that you quoted:
    An excerpt from wikipedia:
    Sir Peter Robert Jackson, KNZM[1] (born 31 October 1961) is a New Zealand film director, producer, actor, and screenwriter, known for his The Lord of the Rings film trilogy (2001 to 2003), adapted from the novel by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast