Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Live From Universal Studios Hollywood Harry Potter Media Event - Dec 6th 11am

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Ah, but don't you remember, the Governator declaring in front of Cinderella's Castle the Disneyland is "goot for Cal-ee-fo-nee-ah's Ee-con-na-mee" during the 50th celebration. Sounds like Jerry just reused the governator's speech.
    But the economy was good then. That message was largely ignored by the media.

This time Governor Brown makes a statement that WWOHP is going to create jobs, and every local TV station globbed onto that as headline news. (on channel 9 it was probably the 5th or so story of the night). Where's all the mention of the jobs being created from the DCA expansion?

Nice advertisement for Universal there.

• DLR Cast Member

Re: Live From Universal Studios Hollywood Harry Potter Media Event - Dec 6th 11am

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    This will be veeeeeery interesting. In such a weird theme park location. I wonder if this will be taking over Terminator and a large portion of that area
    I was wondering that myself. The existing USH land is pretty well locked. They can't carve into the studio or backlot itself, since this is Universal's bread and butter. I emailed a counterpart at USH, and asked where they had room to expand. She replied "I honestly have no idea. No one is saying at this point". Which leaves me speculation on what's already there, that whey want to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Where's all the mention of the jobs being created from the DCA expansion?
    I guess we didn't contribute enough to his campaign. I'm just sayin'.

• Banned User

Disney would be wise to have Gov. Brown at DCA's reopening.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I was wondering that myself. The existing USH land is pretty well locked. They can't carve into the studio or backlot itself, since this is Universal's bread and butter. I emailed a counterpart at USH, and asked where they had room to expand. She replied "I honestly have no idea. No one is saying at this point". Which leaves me speculation on what's already there, that whey want to remove.

I guess we didn't contribute enough to his campaign. I'm just sayin'.
    I posted this in another thread, but this is an excerpt from an article (Harry Potter Park At Universal Studios, Hollywood) that had a quote from Universal Studios president Ron Meyer:

"Executives did not immediately detail their plans for the Hollywood park, but Meyer said there was enough room to expand.

"We're not landlocked," Meyer said. "We're (on) 400 acres on this lot and 200 of them are still not developed."

Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said he was told that a live concert venue, Gibson Amphitheatre, would be scrapped to make way for the attraction. He said it would open around 2014, but officials did not give a date."

I'm not sure exactly what to take from his statement, but he was adamant in letting people know that they aren't land locked.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge4004 View Post
    "We're not landlocked," Meyer said. "We're (on) 400 acres on this lot and 200 of them are still not developed."
    That's technically true, but the undeveloped land isn't adjacent to the existing USH theme park area. Any expansion would have to be continuous. Also, the terrain of the undeveloped area is pretty rough. I'm sure Meyer knows what he's talking about, but it would be nice if he'd share
    Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said he was told that a live concert venue, Gibson Amphitheatre, would be scrapped to make way for the attraction. He said it would open around 2014, but officials did not give a date."
    Which is interesting, because the Gibson Amphitheter isn't exactly a money loser. It's a pretty decent venue. I've seen several concerts there. I can't help but wonder if they're searchign for ways to replace it with another concert venue on existing land elsewhere. That would definitely open up room for a contiguous expansion. The person I cantacted at USH says that all of this is at this point still speculative, and nothing is firm.

• Rides against injustice

With the opening of LA Live and its Nokia venues, the Gibson has lost alot of its luster. The best thing to do would be to tear it down and re-build it somewhere else on the property so that they can modernize it. However if the Gibson does go away for good, any revenue lost would surely be offset by the money that would come in with having Harry Potter at USH.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    ... if the Gibson does go away for good, any revenue lost would surely be offset by the money that would come in with having Harry Potter at USH.
    You know, you make a really good point.

Just going by what Al said today (http://miceage.micechat.com/mc/mc120711a.htm), WWoHP would see the demo of Gibson, Waterworld, Shrek 4D, the play area, and the current tram loading area. I outlined those areas below. If this is true, WWoHP would be like half of the entire park! It would be as much a Harry Potter theme park as it would be Universal Studios! I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, just pointing out the potential enormity of the project.
    Name:  HPex.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  150.5 KB
    Last edited by jalex59; 12-07-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added link to Al's article

• Banned User

I think what may happen is that WW and Shrek will stay, but Curious George will be demoed for an entrance to Hogwarts village (Which should be around the Gibson Amphitheater). I mean, you want to remove as few attractions as possible to keep up park capacity, right? As for Forbidden Journey, I think there will be a small "foresty" trail going from Hogsmeade to the castle (Which should go where that warehouse and extended lot by the Curious George structure is; it is just out of the right side of the screen.)

For another entrance to Wizzarding World, they may use the old Gibson entrance to enter it.

• Banned User

I'm skeptical that this will work. The Upper Lot is already on a hill so to have the Hogswart castle on a miniature hill on a full sized hill will mess up any perspective of where you're at.

What if they built a semi-full sized Hogswart castle in the Upper Lot? Then they can build the Hogmeade village in the lower portions beyond the Upper Lot. It is the Wizarding World in reverse. The project will have buildings that act as a barrier towards the neighboring community.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well we will have to wait and see where they will build this. I am not going to lie, I am very sad that the WWOHP is not going to remain an Orlando exclusive.

I love how much people from the West Coast were flying out here to Orlando to experience our little patch of magic.

I hope transformers remains a Hollywood exclusive because it gives me a reason to leave Central Florida and visit Hollywood.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I'm skeptical that this will work. The Upper Lot is already on a hill so to have the Hogswart castle on a miniature hill on a full sized hill will mess up any perspective of where you're at.

What if they built a semi-full sized Hogswart castle in the Upper Lot? Then they can build the Hogmeade village in the lower portions beyond the Upper Lot. It is the Wizarding World in reverse. The project will have buildings that act as a barrier towards the neighboring community.
    The only place they could put the castle where you wouldn't be able to see the backside of it would be where WaterWorld currently is wouldn't it? As they have the Universal Creative building right behind it?

Also, I know it would never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if they moved CityWalk and the entrance to the lower lot. That would give them a ton of room on the upper lot to develop for the theme park, and would give you your first glimpse of the castle while heading up the Starway.

• DLR Cast Member

Okay, if WWoHP means the end of WaterWorld, I couldn't be happier. That's a show that should have gone away a long time ago.

Slightly switching topic, this is good news for the SoCal theme park industry. It increases competion, which means DLR will need to work harder to maintain its audience. It's an automatic win-win for DLR park guests AND USH patrons.

• Banned User

My best suggestion is put in the other parts of the Studios Tour, as far away from the Upper Lot as possible. In fact, it should be on the opposite side of the residential area. Although you can see Hogswart castle from the Upper Lot, it will be far enough away that you'll think it is another isolated mountain as it will be from the forced perspective design. As you approach it from the train or tram, or walking toward it from a road, it will appear quite large. You will have to navigate through the Hogsmeade village, thus forcing the guests to appreciate the scale of the project.

This is pretty much the area we (us Studio Tour Tram Drivers) are being told is involved in the demolition/re-construction of WWoHP. The backlot is off limits for the Theme Park to expand into. Plenty of room to build will be made with this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jalex59 View Post
    Just going by what Al said today (MiceChat Round-Up - MiceAge.com), WWoHP would see the demo of Gibson, Waterworld, Shrek 4D, the play area, and the current tram loading area. I outlined those areas below. If this is true, WWoHP would be like half of the entire park! It would be as much a Harry Potter theme park as it would be Universal Studios! I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, just pointing out the potential enormity of the project.
    Name:  HPex.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  150.5 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast