Universal made it official today that there is going to be a
    • Nightime Lagoon Show
    • Day Time Parade
    • Despicable Me will open this summer
    • Spiderman Upgrades will come this Spring
    • the new Mini Golf will open February
    • Blue Man Group is getting a new show this February
    • and they are opening up a new Nick Cartoon store

Universal Orlando release some concept art and footage of what the new Lagoon Show titled: Universal's Cinematic Spectacular Opening in Spring. This show will be a daily nighttime show narrated by Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman that will give guests a reason to stay in the parks until the park closes.

Footage that will be seen on the water screens

Universal Orlando also released some concept art for their new day time Parade titled: Universal's Super Star Parade Opening in Spring

This day time parade will give young and old alike a chance to get close and dance with characters from Despicable ME, HOP, Sponge Bob Square Pants, Dora the Explorer and MORE!

Universal Orlando also release concept art AND ROUGH (very very rough) ride footage of the Despicable ME: Minion Mayhem attraction replacing Jimmy Nutron! Opening this Summer

Universal also released some footage and renderings of the Villians, to show what kind of upgrades we can expect for one of the world's greatest theme park attractions - The Amazing Spiderman! Reopening Spring

This is going to make Spiderman seem like a brand new attraction!

Universal Orlando also announced that the Blue Man Group show would be debuting a new show this February!

Universal Orlando also announced that the Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf would be opening this February, and that they will be opening a new Nick Toons cartoon store.

2012 really is going to be another banner year at the Universal Orlando Resort!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    Submit your Orlando news and photos to us!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Universal Orlando makes big 2012 announcement

I am acting like a giddy Fanboy over this! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Pilot EdForceOne

meh... as much as they were making about this announcement and all the social media stuff they were doing I was hoping it was going to be more then just announcing the lagoon show that everyone knew was coming. The parade was the 'extra' but no news about the HP expansion.

That Despicable Me footage is a turn off to me because it looks like another Simpsons without the motion base. We found USO to be too reliant on all the motion sim effect and we found ourselves turning away from attractions because just had more then our stomach could handle. The queue photos looked neat. Hopefully they can do another pre-show that can match the standard set by shrek.

Good to see a good round of investment in the park and trying to fill it out besides running ride to ride and then going home.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hello Dolly.

Always wanted to go to Universal Orlando, or just Orlando period.
    I'm so excited for the park! The new additions look great!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    meh... as much as they were making about this announcement and all the social media stuff they were doing I was hoping it was going to be more then just announcing the lagoon show that everyone knew was coming. The parade was the 'extra' but no news about the HP expansion.

That Despicable Me footage is a turn off to me because it looks like another Simpsons without the motion base. We found USO to be too reliant on all the motion sim effect and we found ourselves turning away from attractions because just had more then our stomach could handle. The queue photos looked neat. Hopefully they can do another pre-show that can match the standard set by shrek.

Good to see a good round of investment in the park and trying to fill it out besides running ride to ride and then going home.
    It has a motion base, just not an isolate pod.

• Nutty about Disney parks

The parade was the 'extra' but no news about the HP expansion.
    Maybe they're waiting on purpose to make it the icing on the cake.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• former CM

Thanks for the excellent update, Orlando Parkhopper!

• All-American

Impressive that Universal is doing such a major refurbishment on an attraction that is still in pretty good shape, and especially one that would still be considered new by Disney standards.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Universal seems to be doing everything right, right now. I am excited to see the execution of the Parade and that Night Time Lagoon Show.

I will keep following Universal Orlando as this develops.

---------- Post added 01-26-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

A recap video of the entire announcement

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Maybe they're waiting on purpose to make it the icing on the cake.
    This particular announcment seemed exclusivly to be about things happening in 2012. "Potter" details would warrant an entirely seperate event.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Universal seems to be doing everything right, right now. I am excited to see the execution of the Parade and that Night Time Lagoon Show.

I will keep following Universal Orlando as this develops.

---------- Post added 01-26-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

A recap video of the entire announcement

No offense Eric but Universal Orlando's management is also money hungry and they have their share of screw ups. Such as the lockers (paying for lockers? Really? Even Cedar Fair isn't that cheap) and that UGLY locker room they added to HP which destroyed the look of the area. Plus the fact they're building part 2 in a different park just to drive up ticket sales isn't any better then what TDO is doing. I'm not saying what TDO is doing is great I'm just saying Universal's management isn't amazing.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 01-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    No offense Eric but Universal Orlando's management is also money hungry and they have their share of screw ups. Such as the lockers (paying for lockers? Really? Even Cedar Fair isn't that cheap) and that UGLY locker room they added to HP which destroyed the look of the area
    Huh? Both locker areas in HP are 'inside'. The one for FJ is inside the castle base, and the one for Dueling Dragons is in a building themed exactly the same as the rest of the village and is pretty nondescript period. How does one say 'it ruined' the area?? It's like saying that 4th wall in a room totally screwed that place up!

Most of the lockers are free for a more then reasonable time period.. I can't even remember if any were paid at all anymore.. but the time period is dependent on the ride.

I found Universal's food and drinks reasonable (unlike most Disney food).. and their refillable cup is the steal of the park.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Huh? Both locker areas in HP are 'inside'. The one for FJ is inside the castle base, and the one for Dueling Dragons is in a building themed exactly the same as the rest of the village and is pretty nondescript period. How does one say 'it ruined' the area?? It's like saying that 4th wall in a room totally screwed that place up!

Most of the lockers are free for a more then reasonable time period.. I can't even remember if any were paid at all anymore.. but the time period is dependent on the ride.

I found Universal's food and drinks reasonable (unlike most Disney food).. and their refillable cup is the steal of the park.
    I'm talking about this one (not sure which one it is):
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...1/P1190863.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...1/P1190866.jpg

I have to agree on the food part thought.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Ehhh??? Have you even been there?

Those photos aren't anything about a locker room.. that's the back of the HP showbuilding. What those photos were supposed to be showing was how you can see more of the backside of the building when they use this overflow queue. The photos are taken from the extended queue that wraps along the left side of the attraction they can send you through before you get back to the front of the castle and send you into the locker area. Those photos you selected aren't even representative of what is in the field of view of the guests really, and on top of that it's the back of the building furthest back in the park. And you say this 'ruins the land'? Come on.. You don't even have a handle of what it is you are using to damn the whole company on.

The queue is used to prevent the public from walking right up to the lockers and making a very crowded space.. even worse. It's not even really a line tho, it's just a tactic to slow down the flow of people into the area. As stated in the article, if you go into the single rider line you walk right into the locker area. And the split for single rider vs standard is AFTER the lockers. Only people who wait in that overflow are the ones who don't know

Am I evil? yes, I am

Ehhh??? Have you even been there?

Those photos aren't anything about a locker room.. that's the back of the HP showbuilding. What those photos were supposed to be showing was how you can see more of the backside of the building when they use this overflow queue. The photos are taken from the extended queue that wraps along the left side of the attraction they can send you through before you get back to the front of the castle and send you into the locker area. Those photos you selected aren't even representative of what is in the field of view of the guests really, and on top of that it's the back of the building furthest back in the park. And you say this 'ruins the land'? Come on.. You don't even have a handle of what it is you are using to damn the whole company on.

The queue is used to prevent the public from walking right up to the lockers and making a very crowded space.. even worse. It's not even really a line tho, it's just a tactic to slow down the flow of people into the area. As stated in the article, if you go into the single rider line you walk right into the locker area. And the split for single rider vs standard is AFTER the lockers. Only people who wait in that overflow are the ones who don't know
    Doh! I keep mixing stuff up with that place. So it's just the backside sticking out? Ah that makes more sense. Still they could have added some bricks to cover it up.