Forbidden Journey & Arachnophobia?

Hi y'all,

i'm going to Islands of Adventure for the first time in a month or so and am a huge Harry Potter fan, so I plan on riding FJ. However, I am also arachnophobic (afraid of spiders), and am definitely worried that riding is going to result in a panic attack. How long is the spider segment in the ride? Can someone give me an indication of how intense the experience is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Forbidden Journey & Arachnophobia?

It is only a small portion of the ride. It is intended to shock/surprise/scare so you being scared would be the attractions intent. However it is brief enough, and you will move on fast enough, that you will not be able to dwell on the fact that you come face to face with a spider. Also the on ride photo section is when the spider "surprises" you.

So you might end up with an amazing picture.

I suggest you give it ago.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Also, I would recommend not sitting in the two seats on the left. There is a portion of the ride where spiders shoot venom. (It actually comes from the wall and you can see where it comes out) The venom hits the two seats on the left. I don't know if that would bother you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by laurenalexandra View Post
    Also, I would recommend not sitting in the two seats on the left. There is a portion of the ride where spiders shoot venom. (It actually comes from the wall and you can see where it comes out) The venom hits the two seats on the left. I don't know if that would bother you or not.
    Oh my gosh, i'm pretty sure I would have had a small heart attack! Thanks for the warning, i'll be sure to sit on the right Are there many spiders in this scene or is it just Aragog?
    <3 Princess Schmidtty

There are a few. Right when you first enter the scene, there is lightning and you can see one spider in a web. You turn, there is lightning again, you are face to face with Aragog. After Aragog, your ride picture is taken. Hermione appears in the wall. There are a few spiders there. During this whole scene, there are spider sounds also. I would recommend closing your eyes after the dragon and keeping them closed until after Hermione finishes talking. Hope this helps!

Hey princess, I too have arachnophobia and went on it in January.
    its a amazing ride plus when it came to the spider scene I was quite surprised and it did scare me but it made the ride more fun.
    just go on and when that you get to that scene just look then if it's too much close eyes until you hear hermione. hope you have a great time
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• Diamond In The Rough

My wife kept her eyes closed through the spider section the 1st time we rode, but on return trips she braved it and ended up not being that bothered.
    Providing you know the Aragog close encounter is coming it's not that big a deal.
    With the exception of a couple that rise and fall on their thread , none of the spiders move - even Aragog.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• secure all cargo

I'm guessing if you survived the movie, then you'll be good for the ride. Have fun!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Lightbulb Re: Forbidden Journey & Arachnophobia?

Not to detract from the prior replies, but I have a different view. Which is ... it all depends. We're talking about phobias here, and what may be no biggie to one person can be completely terrifying and paralyzing to another. So the first question I have is, how bad does it bother you?

While we live in LA, I happened to have been in IOA this week (YEA!) with the family. My 10 year old son is an avid HP fan (As is my wife. Heck, so am I. Who isn't?) but is also terrified of spiders. While reading the books, we had to refer to them as "Octo-Ants." Get it? Somehow it worked for him.

We were psyched to ride the FJ. Amazing, awesome, somewhat nauseauting. Everything you've heard, and more. But for my son, that one scene was enough. He wouldn't ride it again. "Drop me at the Boar's Head and pass me a butter beer, 'cause I am done!"

If you can overcome the phobia, I highly recommend the ride. There is nothing else quite like it. I'm still trying to figure out how they did everything they did. If you want to ride but avoid the spider scene, here's my advice. First, make sure you go with someone you trust, and have him/her sit next toy ou. Second, the spiders come immediately after the *** SPOILER ALERT *** the dragon breaths "fire on you." Feel the heat, close your eyes. Third, when the scene if over, have your partner tap you on the leg to let you know it's done. It may not be the best picture in the world, but the photos are expensive and I didn't think they were that great.

If you can't overcome your phobia but still want a taste of the ride, you can do a walk through of the castle. See the rooms and everything that's in there. It's almost better than the ride itself. Take your time and soak in Hogwarts.

And let us all know what you end up doing and how you liked it! Then have a butter beer for me. Frozen, if you please!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have a huge fear of spiders and I did Forbidden Journey with no issues. I knew the spider scene was coming up, so I squinted through the whole thing... of course the time I fully opened my eyes was right in front of Aragog, and I screamed my fool head off. Actually the Dementors scene scared me more than the spiders for some reason.

• Ravenclaw

just shout "araña excime"! and that will get rid of the acromantulas!
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• JML

Like MouseMe, I have a different view on the ride. Despite my old age (I am 42 years old), I was horrified by the ride because of the spiders. And, while my family went on it a second time, I ended up doing some shopping (and drinking the wonderful ButterBeer) with my 10 years old niece who got scared to death on it.

I do not want to prevent you from riding it but if you are really afraid of spiders, I do not recommend it.
    Jeanmi

I'm not very fond of insects. (I usually jump back when I see one). I didn't have a problem with it, They're so big that you know they aren't real.

One thing that might help is sitting on the edge (Right seat, because you probably don't want to get spit at). At parts of the ride you might not enjoy you can look over and see the other ride vehicles, which is really cool to watch!
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine