Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Re: Are the Universal Parks losing a little quality? (Top 3 list)

I'm not sure if they are losing quality but I do feel the need to call them out for IOA, I mean other than Jurassic Park, none of the properties in the park are owned by the studio.

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    I'm not sure if they are losing quality but I do feel the need to call them out for IOA, I mean other than Jurassic Park, none of the properties in the park are owned by the studio.
    That's because Universal is a movie studio and IOA isn't a movie park. And you have to "call them out" on it? Is it really that important?

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Good bye JAWS & Amity at Universal Studios Florida.... - YouTube

THIS. This is the argument I have based this whole thing on. Take a listen to this guy, who responded to the Jaws ride being closed.

---------- Post added 04-08-2012 at 12:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I disagree with the turn that you have taken. Man-up and stand up for what you believe in! People do take this forum post very seriously but nobody is attacking YOU personally. It's okay to change your mind and it's okay to still believe in what you originally did. You'll just have to accept and understand that there are lot of folks who are very invested in Universal just as they are with Disney.
    And thank you Coheteboy!

"Don't worry...our Disneyland ride will come soon."

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well now, I suppose the frustration we all sometimes have with these big, ol' wonderful theme parks is that somebody in a suit and tie somewhere, settin' around a board room table, keeps makin' decisions without consulting us! They make decisions we just don't agree with at all.

Ahhh, but the truth of it is...it's always been that way...and it is always gonna be that way. It's just the nature of the beast.

We can't control those decisions, unfortunately...but, we can control how we react to them...and how
    they impact us.

Lets deal with the last part first...now understand I'm a grizzled ol' feller who still thinks they never shoulda stopped runnin' the stagecoaches and covered wagons at Disneyland. I still ain't over that...

But Disneyland has lived on...Nature's Wonderland was destroyed for this glorified roller coaster thing called a "run-a-way" mine train...and still Disneyland has lived on.

It's much the same thing with this popular big fish over at Universal I suppose...the lagoon is gone now...and soon Diagon Alley will magically appear to us muggles...

Change is gonna happen. It's always gonna happen.

Now does that mean we shouldn't express our frustration about it? Of course not. Complainin' about things is a basic American right...but there's a danger when we let it impact us too much.

We need to just let it go sometimes...to accept the things we cannot change...and move on. Afterall, it's not really our business...it's theirs...and they can do whatever they like regardless of what we think.

Things are changin' at Universal because they stumbled onto somethin' wonderful...Harry Potter. It took attendance to amazing new levels...and sales, sales of stuff...jelly beans and wands and chocolate frogs and butterbeer and a million other things right up to hundred dollar wizard robes, have truly been incredible. All this happened at Islands of Adventure and some suit wearin' executive around the board table thought...hey this is good...let's do it over at Universal Studios Park too. This wizard kid is makin' us far more money than that big fish ever did! That's just the way business people think...

Still...I wish they never woulda stopped runnin' those stagecoaches over at Disneyland...that happened back around 1959 or 60 as I recall...

Our problem, I suppose, is that we love these places...there's no denyin' it. And when some invisible person in a business suit makes changes we don't agree with...doggone it it makes us mad!

But, we gotta be careful not to let that kinda thing impact us too much...I think we need to celebrate the wonderful things that are still there in that place we love...we need to be thankful for them. In my case...I suppose I'm thankful that the Ol' Mark Twain is still travelin' down the Rivers of America...still takin' folks back in time along that river...

And...well...as for Universal, I have to be honest, I'm a rabid Harry Potter fan...hooked on Butterbeer and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans...and Pumpkin Juice. Millions and millions of folks are...and anyone
    who has visited Hogsmeade and weaved their way through thick crowds of muggles can see that something amazing has happened at Islands of Adventure...and, thanks to that invisible guy in the business suit somewhere, it's gonna happen again at the park right next door.

I don't understand why folks have been linin' up at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to get on some wild
    roller coaster mine train at Disneyland...I remember a time when...

But life goes on...change happens... I'm thankful the ol' Mark Twain is still travelin' down the river...
    and I'm thankful for the memories I've got of "the good ol' days" long, long ago...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Team Hail HYDRA

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    And World of Color is a ripoff of the Bellagio. As long as its fun and entertaining, I could care less who ripped off who.

Reality is screens are cheaper than physical sets. Also many of the things that you can do using a 3D-Screen you can not do with sets.

As long as the ride is fun, I don't care how Universal or any theme park company presents an attraction.

Theme parks are not museums. Universal needs to stay current with a new generation of park guests and that generations demands.
    I agree with you

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    And World of Color is a ripoff of the Bellagio. As long as its fun and entertaining, I could care less who ripped off who.
    And Wizarding World is a ripoff of Main Street USA. I do care about who ripped off who, especially when Universal touts Wizarding World as this new, great thing when in reality all it really is is Main Street dressed up to look like the world of Harry Pottet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyfreak110 View Post
    So you're saying Harry Potter doesn't use physical sets? I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been on that ride.

One of the reasons I like Universal is that they care more about show quality than Disney's "good enough" attitude. For example, half of the effects on Dinosaur aren't working anymore, the Yeti, and don't get me started on that giant hat at the studios. Universal fixes things rather than just turning them off, unless there is something really wrong.
    I agree that the harry potter ride is very immersive, but "universal" theme parks as a whole do not care more about "show quality" than disney. when you say disney, you are including all disney theme parks. Have you ever been to Disneyland? Their attractions and their parks as a whole have way more theming and quality than Universal Hollywood or Universal Orlando and your examples are attacking Walt Disney World, so please rephrase your statement "Disney's "good enough" attitude to Walt Disney World. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And Wizarding World is a ripoff of Main Street USA. I do care about who ripped off who, especially when Universal touts Wizarding World as this new, great thing when in reality all it really is is Main Street dressed up to look like the world of Harry Pottet.
    I didn't know Main Street USA had the most technologically advanced ride in the world. In fact, I didn't know it had ANY rides! You learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffHooligan View Post
    I agree that the harry potter ride is very immersive, but "universal" theme parks as a whole do not care more about "show quality" than disney. when you say disney, you are including all disney theme parks. Have you ever been to Disneyland? Their attractions and their parks as a whole have way more theming and quality than Universal Hollywood or Universal Orlando
    Universal Orlando not having to spend a billion dollars fixing their 2nd gate is testament to their lack of quality compared to Disneyland.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 04-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffHooligan View Post
    I agree that the harry potter ride is very immersive, but "universal" theme parks as a whole do not care more about "show quality" than disney. when you say disney, you are including all disney theme parks. Have you ever been to Disneyland? Their attractions and their parks as a whole have way more theming and quality than Universal Hollywood or Universal Orlando and your examples are attacking Walt Disney World, so please rephrase your statement "Disney's "good enough" attitude to Walt Disney World. Thanks.
    When I say Disney, I mean my impression of all Disney parks (except Tokyo because I hear rave reviews about it). Even though I have not been to DL, WDW sets an impression for the other Disney properties. It's like my experience with Golden Corral: I went in one, it was crap. I went into sever others and they were crap. Now I can assume that they are all crap. My impression of the Disney parks will NOT change unless WDW changes, or until I get to the west coast and experience DL for myself.

• Minion

Just to let you know Disney also using attractions using projectors
    like TSMM, Soaring, Star Tours, and WOC. Not just Universal.

Universal Hollywood is more of a studios than it is a theme park. And they are constantly filming movies for different companies including Disney Movies...

and WOC is modeled after Bellagio. they both feature the same exact amount of water jets. but WOC is a lot congested while Bellagio is has a bigger lake.
    Do I enjoy going to USH. no. because it's more of a studio than a theme park. they film a lot of TV shows daily.

I agree with most that Universal has change for the better in the last half a decade or so. Just a short while ago, every attraction at USH was built in the 1990s or earlier. But I also have a problem with their over reliance on projections. It used to be a place where you could ride the movies. Now, you go and watch a movie.

Disney does this too, but the attractions are so few at Universal parks compared to Disney that it's more apparent. People want to see something real. Something they could feel and touch. Replacing this amazing Kong animatronic with a CG movie is just... well, disheartening. I'm looking forward to Potter coming out here because, even though there are a lot of screens, they have wonderful animatronics and sets that make it feel like a great dark ride.

... I guess I kinda contradict myself in there, but the point is: Real = Good. Screens = Bad.
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12