Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Question Are the Universal Parks losing a little quality? (Top 3 list)

Now don't get me wrong, Universal is my second favorite park chain behind Disney. But this company has been experiencing a small plummet in a way. How? Here's the Top 3 reasons as to why:

3) Ripping off other places at some points. For one, the new lagoon show at Universal: total World of Color rip-off.

2) Most of the recent attractions- and a good majority of them for that matter- have been dependent on motion simulation (Simpsons, Harry Potter, Transformers, King Kong 360 3D, etc.), rather than traveling through a three-dimensional environment (Kongfrontation, E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park). Spiderman, Harry Potter, and Transformers do get the idea of combining "real" with "screen", but Simpsons and Kong (and unfortunately, i must include Back to the Future), have been using more screen than reality.

1) What gave them the idea to sink Jaws at Orlando? What made them want to shut down the Institute of Future Technology? What made them send E.T. home permanently? What made them take down the great ape himself (the Orlando one, not USH, because of an obvious reason)? The recent choices have been rather poor. At Orlando, the only attractions that seem to make Universal Universal would be E.T., Terminator, and a maybe a couple smaller ones. For example, when they were taking Jaws out, they claimed that they had thought long and hard about it. Well, in many people's opinion, they most likely cared more about making money off of robes, wands, and all that other Harry Potter crap.

EDIT: I am sorry, but apparently everyone has taken this forum post seriously. Everyone loves the Universal that it is becoming, and I respect that. And I take this whole thing back.
    Last edited by DisneylandMaster; 04-07-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Are the Universal Parks losing a little quality? (Top 3 list)

I could not disagree more.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

How so? I do not hate or loathe the "new" Universal. I love Simpsons, Harry, and such. I was just speaking for some things and what many others are believing.
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

They are much better then they were ten years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i give you that IOA is a very cool park...but the newer rides pull in more people and are pretty fun

3) Ripping off other places at some points. For one, the new lagoon show at Universal: total World of Color rip-off.
    And World of Color is a ripoff of the Bellagio. As long as its fun and entertaining, I could care less who ripped off who.

2) Most of the recent attractions- and a good majority of them for that matter- have been dependent on motion simulation (Simpsons, Harry Potter, Transformers, King Kong 360 3D, etc.), rather than traveling through a three-dimensional environment (Kongfrontation, E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park). Spiderman, Harry Potter, and Transformers do get the idea of combining "real" with "screen", but Simpsons and Kong (and unfortunately, i must include Back to the Future), have been using more screen than reality.
    Reality is screens are cheaper than physical sets. Also many of the things that you can do using a 3D-Screen you can not do with sets.

As long as the ride is fun, I don't care how Universal or any theme park company presents an attraction.

1) What gave them the idea to sink Jaws at Orlando? What made them want to shut down the Institute of Future Technology? What made them send E.T. home permanently? What made them take down the great ape himself (the Orlando one, not USH, because of an obvious reason)? The recent choices have been rather poor. At Orlando, the only attractions that seem to make Universal Universal would be E.T., Terminator, and a maybe a couple smaller ones. For example, when they were taking Jaws out, they claimed that they had thought long and hard about it. Well, in many people's opinion, they most likely cared more about making money off of robes, wands, and all that other Harry Potter crap.

Theme parks are not museums. Universal needs to stay current with a new generation of park guests and that generations demands.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Have we already forgotten about how amazing the Men in Black attraction is/was?

There ARE a lot of media-based attractions, I agree, but I think as long as they're done to the highest quality, it's fine. Whatever they do next should be an attraction not reliant on motion simulator/projected media.

Despicable Me ride is replacing another motion simulator right?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Walt did make Disneyland for the reason of making a place for everyone, and wanting change because he couldn't make changes after his movies. Maybe Universal was meant to be the same. I think I was just overanalyzing this whole thing.
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Now don't get me wrong, Universal is my second favorite park chain behind Disney. But this company has been experiencing a small plummet in a way. How? Here's the Top 3 reasons as to why:

2) Most of the recent attractions- and a good majority of them for that matter- have been dependent on motion simulation (Simpsons, Harry Potter, Transformers, King Kong 360 3D, etc.), rather than traveling through a three-dimensional environment (Kongfrontation, E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park).
    So you're saying Harry Potter doesn't use physical sets? I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been on that ride.

One of the reasons I like Universal is that they care more about show quality than Disney's "good enough" attitude. For example, half of the effects on Dinosaur aren't working anymore, the Yeti, and don't get me started on that giant hat at the studios. Universal fixes things rather than just turning them off, unless there is something really wrong.

There is an interesting discussion about this here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=834795

It's a good read.
    Last edited by Spideyfreak110; 04-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    They are much better then they were ten years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i give you that IOA is a very cool park...but the newer rides pull in more people and are pretty fun
    Howdy Pards,

Well, as for me, I reckon I have to admit to bein' a rabid Harry Potter fan...and Universal sure done good when they opened Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. That place has brought in more than all the gold in Gringotts Bank for Universal. Why? Well, the
    Harry Potter books and films are beloved throughout the world and Universal had the wisdom to stay true to J.K. Rowling's vision in every way filling the place with wonderful details takin' directly from Harry's world. Make no mistake, the success of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has as much to do with Chocolate Frogs and Magic Wands and Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice as it has to do the the Forbidden Journey ride inside Hogwarts. Universal is to be congratulated for creating a completely immersive environment that has
    brought the concept of theme park to a whole new level.

Now, all ya gotta do is walk in the front gate of Islands of Adventure and watch folks makin' a bee line straight for Hogsmeade to
    understand why Universal is plannin' to expand...bringin' Diagon Alley to Universal Studios Park. They ain't stupid. And, they are sellin' more Harry Potter stuff than even they could have imagined in their wildest dreams. Millions of dollars in Butterbeer alone!

Universal is evolving...it isn't about cheep thrills and roller coasters as much these days...it's about story. My gosh, isn't that what Walt focussed on all those years ago? And, in Harry Potter, Islands of Adventure suddenly had something it just didn't have before...
    heart. That's what those Harry Potter stories are all about you know...love, good winnin' over evil, friendship and family...and yes
    magic. So...folks are comin' from all over the world to see it...and they are bringin' money with them, lots of money...

Now, I believe that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has not only helped Universal's attendance...it has helped Disney's too.
    Afterall, who's gonna come to Orlando and not go to Walt Disney World?

But...quality is important...and the folks at Walt Disney World need to pay attention to that. Closed rides and pavilions, animatronics that aren't working, lack of attention to ongoing maintenance ain't gonna do nuthin' to enhance the reputation of any theme park...even the beloved Walt Disney World. Why in the heck is River Country settin' over there abandoned like a ghost town when
    the other water parks are overcrowded? Why hasn't Disney expanded the Monorail System? Now, to be fair, the excitement is mounting for this New Fantasyland...but, well, what about those dinosaurs over there in the Animal Kingdom, what about that Yeti?
    The folks at Disney gotta keep all the balls in the air at the same time...not just some.

Ya know, there's a reason folks notice when somethin' ain't right at Walt Disney World... That's because Walt himself set the quality bar mighty high...givin' folks their money's worth, and then some...always keepin' things fresh and new. That's why Disney has always kinda led the way...

Universal, though, discovered something really wonderful in Harry Potter...and as long as they remain steadfastly faithful to J.K. Rowling's vision...folks are gonna come...and they are goin' to come back, again, and again, and again. Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans aint no ordinary jelly beans ya know? And, where else in America can you get a mug of Butterbeer?

No...I'd say Universal took a giant leap forward with what they did with Harry Potter...and they are plannin' to do more.

That has been and will be good for all of Central Florida...including Walt Disney World.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

One word. Relevance.

Universal is shooting after a modern audience. Their attendance numbers have increased exponentially in the past few years.

Now while I hate that they removed Jaws it was one of my favorite attractions (I had loved it for years, I wasn't one of those last minute Jaws bandwagoners). It was removed to attract more of the audience they are aiming for.

Is a certain population upset that Jaws was removed, you bet. That audience though is so small of a minority compared to the amount of people that will line up and pay tons of money to go see Potter.

Universal has been investing a lot of capital into the park, they are re-defining the parks for the modern day theme park audience and they are doing a spectacular job of that.

Sometimes you have to realize that even though you love a ride (Like I love Jaws) that you are in the minority. Theme Parks are business and their first priority is to appeal to an audience to make money and Universal is simply doing that.
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyfreak110 View Post
    So you're saying Harry Potter doesn't use physical sets? I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been on that ride.
    Actually, it was a rather enjoyable ride. This was a big gamechanger in the history of theme parks. It still keeps bringing the people in, and it was a great ride!
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Banned User

While Universal is making great rides with Harry Potter and Transformers, I have to agree that Universal is also going downhill a bit. While some media is acceptable to when it's necessary (Like Harry Potter, Transformers, and Spider-man), they love to use screens or even 3D when it's completely unnecessary. I mean, Gringott's becoming a 3D roller coaster? Come on.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    While Universal is making great rides with Harry Potter and Transformers, I have to agree that Universal is also going downhill a bit. While some media is acceptable to when it's necessary (Like Harry Potter, Transformers, and Spider-man), they love to use screens or even 3D when it's completely unnecessary. I mean, Gringott's becoming a 3D roller coaster? Come on.
    Dont judge an attraction until it is open. How can you say it is needed or not needed until anyone has had a chance to experience it. Heck it might not even have 3d. That being said I don't think you can judge any attraction before it is actually announced by the company.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

^I was basing it by the leaked blueprints from theme park insider. Yet again, those plans could very well be fake.

You are right. I should reserve my judgment for until I physically get on the ride, but for that fact that it seems to be more 3D just makes me a bit skeptical. I would just like to see Universal do things with more physical effects.
    Last edited by Freakazoid112; 04-07-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify some things

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post

EDIT: I am sorry, but apparently everyone has taken this forum post seriously. Everyone loves the Universal that it is becoming, and I respect that. And I take this whole thing back.

I disagree with the turn that you have taken. Man-up and stand up for what you believe in! People do take this forum post very seriously but nobody is attacking YOU personally. It's okay to change your mind and it's okay to still believe in what you originally did. You'll just have to accept and understand that there are lot of folks who are very invested in Universal just as they are with Disney.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast