Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hogsmeade

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Re: Hogsmeade

Howdy biggsworth,

Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Howdy Pards,

Well, they are Ron Weasley's favorite...and mine too I suppose...BERTIE BOTTS EVERY FLAVOUR BEANS. And they are available in Honeydukes in beautiful downtown Hogsmeade!

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

If you have read all the books and watched all the movies then you are gonna feel right at home in Hogsmeade in more ways than you can possibly imagine.

First, when you walk through the gateway and into Hogsmeade you are immediately immersed...100% immersed...in J.K. Rowling's imagination. If you have always wanted an Extendible Ear you can find it here, if you've always wanted a REMEMBERALL like Neville Longbottom got you can find it here. If you've always wondered what a HOWLER like Ron Weasley got would look like, well just look in the side window of THE OWL POST. You'll see it...and HEAR it.

Wandering through Hogwarts itself, you'll visit Professor Dumbledore's Office...the Gryffindor Common Room, and the Defense Against The Dark Arts Classroom. You'll see Harry, Ron, and Hermione suddenly appear from under the invisibility cloak...you'll listen to the Sorting Hat as it warns you about the Forbidden Journey you are headed towards.

It's all here. In great detail...wonderful detail...delightful detail. Careful...you might just start believing this ol' world is a much more magical place than we muggles have ever imagined.

And you'll find yourself wanting to return...and return again. I believe the place has been enchanted by J.K. Rowling herself... Whatever kind of potion, charm or spell she is using...it sure has worked on me...and many millions of other muggles from 'round the world.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 07-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Howdy Pards,

So, while wandering along a pathway immediately behind Hagrid's Hut, I found it! Yep, there it was...THE WEASLEY FAMILY CAR!

You know...the one Ron and Harry flew to Hogwarts? The one that got caught in the whompin' willow? The one that was somehow enchanted and went wild? The one that rescued Harry and Ron and Fang from that herd of spiders?

Yep, there it was. Resting with it's front bumper against a tree...lights still on...and don't be surprised if it honks at you as you walk up to it!!!

Another delightful detail waiting to be found in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Ahhh...to escape the common place. That's why we go. To let our imaginations soar...

And, in Hogsmeade it is easy to get caught up in the magic...sippin' Butterbeer or Pumpkin Juice, nibblin' on Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, picking out a favorite character's wand...or having a wand select you at Ollivander's.

Harry Potter's world completely surrounds you here. It's absolutely delightful...

Take the time to savor every little detail...to remember...to believe. And, watch the people, thousands of them, having just as much fun as you are...

Ahhhh....tis a magical place, indeed.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

When you wander into Ollivander's Wand Shop and "a wand chooses you" you may be inclined to be somewhat skeptical about it. Well, hold on to your wizarding hats, the process is hardly random at all.

I noticed that when someone would ask which was the right wand for them, the assistants in the shop would pull out a small slip of paper, ask what month and day they were born, and then, after a brief search, find a wand on the shelf.

Well, naturally, I thought this might be just "part of the act" you might say...so I decided to try a little experiment. I asked the first assistant I could find. She pulled out the small piece of paper and asked me the month and day I was born. I told her and she reached up high on the shelf and pulled out a "Rowan" wand...a strange looking wand with a skull on the end of it. I thanked her and said I would return later to pick it up.

Later on I did return to the shop and another assistant was on duty. I asked the question again, and, to my amazement, she reached up and pulled the same Rowan wand off the shelf and handed it to me... Was that just an accident? I decided to do it again later and, when I did, same result. That wand actually was choosing me!

So I decided to do a little research into the matter...

The ancient Druids were responsible for the keeping of the "Celtic Calendar". And it was those very same Druids, long, long ago who created a system of classifications for wood that is, in a way I suppose, similar to horoscopes. A special group of 13 magical trees...and a period of days that affects the personality and future of any person born during that specific period. The process of Wand selection at Ollivanders is truly based on that Celtic Calendar. So...

If you were born during: Then your wand will be:

December 24th to January 20th BIRCH
    January 21st to February 17th ROWAN
    February 18th to March 17th ASH

March 18th to April 14th ALDER
    April 15th to May 12th WILLOW
    May 13th to June 9th HAWTHORN

June 10th to July 7th OAK
    July 8th to August 4th HOLLY
    August 5th to September 1st HAZEL

September 2nd to September 29th VINE
    September 30th to October 27th IVY
    October 28th to November 24th REED

November 25th to December 22nd ELDER

Now, you may have noticed that December 23rd has no specific wood assigned to it...the Celtic Calendar was a lunar calendar of 13 months with 28 days each (364 days) so they had a day left over...the Winter solstice.

Turns out J.K. Rowling put a lot of actual stuff into the wizarding world...historical stuff... wonderful detailed stuff. Next time you are in Hogsmeade check out what wand chooses you...

My "Rowan" wand, by the way, is right here at my fingertips as I type this...It's kinda neat havin' a wand "choose you"...especially at Ollivander's Wand Shop, Makers of Fine Wands since 382BC...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 07-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123