Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Video: Universal's Superstar Parade

Universal Studios Orlando had a preview yesterday of its new Parade "Universal's Superstar Parade". Its not without its negatives. But its still a good effort. And I would place it above the Parade's found at Walt Disney World. This for me is very similar to the Pixar Play Parade at Disney California Adventure. Great float and costume designs. For myself I'm not to thilled with the choice of soundtrack. Let us know what you think?

Video provided by Orlando Attractions Magazine.

Last edited by Malin; 05-06-2012 at 05:11 AM.

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

Re: Video: Universal's Superstar Parade

This parade had SO MUCH POTENTIAL! I have to say that the floats look fabulous and in general a majority of the costumed performers were great. But the soundtrack was extremely poor, the choreography needed help and there was no real interaction between the performers and the audience. All in all it felt awkward. If they can redo the flaws that the show has, it has the potential to be really great.

But, what an improvement from Universal's normal entertainment. I'm impressed!

How awkward and silly, floats look nice but there aren't that many of them. The employees look like they really want to be elsewhere too. All I say is nice job Universal you just made a Six Flags parade.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    How awkward and silly, floats look nice but there aren't that many of them. The employees look like they really want to be elsewhere too. All I say is nice job Universal you just made a Six Flags parade.
    I think this is leagues above a Six Flags or Knotts type parade, the floats are all Disney caliber, and not bad for a first attempt.

I couldn't help but see the Hop float and think if the first unit of Soundsational or be reminded of the "a bug's life" unit in Pixar Play by Dora's float. But there were some really cool original elements; I loved the coral people on the Spongebob unit.

However I think what Universal will hopefully learn is that an original catchy song (ala Flights of Fantasy and eventually Soundsational) can be just as enjoyable, and sometimes ever more enjoyable (see Celebrate!), than pop music. Though something about seeing Spongebob dance to Party Rock was appealing to me.

I think the real area for improvement is the choreography. Universal may not have experience with this, but it looks like I choreographed that parade. Whoever choreographed the parade seems not to have experience with the movement and fluidity required of a parade, and I think this is something Disney has mastered. This is a place where they may benefit from taking a page out of Disney's book.

HOWEVER part of the choreography problem stems from trying to create a family friendly parade dance routine to pop music. Changing the music would effectively kill two birds with one stone, as it could give the parade a more upbeat vibe and would allow for faster tighter choreography without the awkwardness of seeing rollerskating fish dance to Party Rock.

EDIT: After watch videos of the other show stops, I think the choreography actually looks fine at the show stops themselves. However I will think there is something awkward about the dancing as the floats move. Disney is really good at making characters and dancers look like they are doing something as they move, and here these characters are really just moving in straight lines.
    Last edited by cruise; 05-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I think this is leagues above a Six Flags or Knotts type parade, the floats are all Disney caliber, and not bad for a first attempt.
    True but the problem is there are only 3 main floats.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

This parade is awesome and the floats are better than anything Disney has out here in Orlando right now. Personally speaking the only day time parade I have liked more than this one was disneylands 50th parade.

This parade gives you an reason to stay in the park.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

The hop float reminded me to much of Soundsational mickeys drums idk I think Universal is trying to hard to get a Disney image their getting their, and I hope WDW sees they are doing a lot with their parks and well hopefully make WDW push out new entertainment offerings.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Not bad for a first attempt. If Universal can master this, I wonder if they will ever attempt a nighttime, light parade? That would really tick Disney off haha.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

FYI the music in the videos is not the permanent music. There is music with lyrics that will be used on the 8th, and after.

• Banned User

All I say is nice job Universal you just made a Six Flags parade.
    I will still say that this Parade is better standard to not only Six Flags but the current offerings at WDW.

Not bad for a first attempt. If Universal can master this, I wonder if they will ever attempt a nighttime, light parade?
    Universal Studios Japan already has a night-time parade. Starlight Dreams and its very good. A try at a night-time parade could be interesting move.

FYI the music in the videos is not the permanent music. There is music with lyrics that will be used on the 8th, and after.
    If thats correct than the Parade has already improved greatly in my view. But very weird for them not to use it during the preview.

The costumes and floats are professional and well-done. So, Universal, hire a new choreographer and composer and give your operational personnel some theatre training.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I will still say that this Parade is better standard to not only Six Flags but the current offerings at WDW.

Universal Studios Japan already has a night-time parade. Starlight Dreams and its very good. A try at a night-time parade could be interesting move.

If thats correct than the Parade has already improved greatly in my view. But very weird for them not to use it during the preview.
    It was because of all the filming done for the preview. They were doing commercial filming, guest reactions, getting guest audio, etc. So they played audio used audio that they can easily over dub.

---------- Post added 05-07-2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

here is my video I got, but it will be in the Orlando ParkHopper tomorrow with photos I go.

Universal Superstar Parade At Universal Studios Orlando - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'm sorry but if you count all the parades at WDW this comes nowhere near the Electrical Parade.

• Banned User

The Electrical Parade can't really count as a WDW Parade can it? Since its only at WDW on a tempory basis until Disneyland wants it back.

But when put up in comparison with Celebrate, Pixar and Jamin this hands down is a much better day-time Parade. Personally I'm not happy to admit that either because I love Disney. But it's very clear to see Universal is stepping up its game and deserves credit for it!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It better then nothing...but not something I would wait for....like a Disney Parade for me anyway NOT enough floats they have a good amount of movies...no Back to the Future, ET or anything like...I think a retro 80's parade would be much cooler but hey like I said better then nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast