Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    • Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    341

    Question What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    There isn't any need to reply with a "It will never happen" we are speaking hypothetically here. If the announcement was made and Waterworld/Gibson was the space for Potter what would your reaction be?

    The reason I'm wondering is because I'm hearing both sides over the internet, some people seem to think it will never happen because of how high Waterworld is rated in the park (but seriously, against what, the Animal Show? The Blues Brothers or Special Effects shows?). Other people seem to think the show has run its course.

    Regardless of personal feelings for WW, no one can deny that Potter will pack USH to capacity in a way Waterworld no longer can, and as much as any of us dislike the idea, the almighty dollar will rule the decision-making from here on out.

    So the question is do you think taking out WW is a bad idea (because you love it, or just hate to see one more attraction get taken out of a park that already has so few to begin with) or do you like the idea (perhaps WW has run its course, or you just want to see Potter.)?

    The persistent rumor seems to be the removal of either Waterworld or Shrek, so whats your opinion on it?
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

    "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

  2. #2

    • You're late for TEAAA!!!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Swan Station (a.k.a. The Hatch)
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    It'd be expected, since as you say, Potter will pack them in much better than Waterworld can. With that in mind, I've come to terms with losing Waterworld. It was a easy process considering Waterworld has ran it's course. It's been there for years. If Waterworld stays, I think another show of some type should replace it. If it's taken out to make room for Potter, then I'm fine with that too. I'd love for there to be a major stunt show at the park still and I'd love to see something other than Waterworld and I'd love for Harry Potter to be just as big as Orlando but ofcourse -- I'm not sure all of these things are possible. Whichever is best for the park, I say!

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Again: it's not even about popularity, it's more about what makes sense.

    Waterworld sits practically sits on an inlet between the main entrance and the employee walking areas which includes backstage character areas, the entertainment department and main cafeteria, not to mention the path to the employee entrance.

    Unless they elevate Potter and build a bridge over these areas and not to mention relocate many of these things, removing Waterworld for this purpose won't do. And the area alone is easily not big enough to hold the land on its own.

  4. #4

    • Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    341

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Again: it's not even about popularity, it's more about what makes sense.

    Waterworld sits practically sits on an inlet between the main entrance and the employee walking areas which includes backstage character areas, the entertainment department and main cafeteria, not to mention the path to the employee entrance.

    Unless they elevate Potter and build a bridge over these areas and not to mention relocate many of these things, removing Waterworld for this purpose won't do. And the area alone is easily not big enough to hold the land on its own.
    True, but wherever you put it, something is going to have to be relocated. You tear out Shrek the ODV area will have to be relocated, you push it back into the Tram area the Tram Garage will have to be located and the tram road rerouted. If Waterworld gets taken out the Take 5 and character area's will have to be relocated. The Entertainment department will have to move up into 5511 until further notice. A few minutes would probably be added to the employee walk times as they walk around the Waterworld footprint to the front, and then into the park.

    It isn't possible to put it somewhere where something else isn't effected, Universal just doesn't have the spare room.

    ---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 10:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    Whichever is best for the park, I say!
    I agree! Wherever they wind up putting it, I just hope it isn't half-assed, otherwise they shouldn't even bother.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

    "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

  5. #5

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    FINALLY!!

    i don't care for the show personally, so i feel like my opinion should be forced upon everyone else. oh wait, i'm not a politician, nevermind.

    but srsly, i think it's time to take Water World out to a field and shoot it. and i hope Harry Potter will be big enough to take out Shrek. i loathe that show.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    True, but wherever you put it, something is going to have to be relocated. You tear out Shrek the ODV area will have to be relocated, you push it back into the Tram area the Tram Garage will have to be located and the tram road rerouted. If Waterworld gets taken out the Take 5 and character area's will have to be relocated. The Entertainment department will have to move up into 5511 until further notice. A few minutes would probably be added to the employee walk times as they walk around the Waterworld footprint to the front, and then into the park.

    It isn't possible to put it somewhere where something else isn't effected, Universal just doesn't have the spare room.


    It makes me think back to a quote by Walt Disney back when Disneyland was about to open. The plumbers strike left them with two options: less operating toilets or less operating water fountains. To which Walt replied, "They can buy coke, but they can't pee on the street!"

    The tram garages, or ODV areas must be relocated in the Curious George/Shrek situation sure, but that inconveniences a much smaller group than the ENTIRETY of Universal's employees. So much is laid out between Walter's Gate and the entrance next to Shrek (which might just sit on the very edge of Potter), the amount of relocation would be mindblowing and frustrating. Add to that taking out the most popular show in the park which is designated just to get people wet during the summer months.

    The area in which Waterworld sits isn't even that big, too, compared to the mammoth area comprised of Shrek/Curious George/Gibson (which might not even touch the tram garage if they're wise enough). Uni is pretty smart when it comes to dealing with space issues, they created a whole new technology in order to fit Transformers in its space. I'm sure they'll be very smart about Potter, you can already tell there's a long-term goal in place with the rumors of DM replacing T2.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    272

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    i liked waterworld a lot but i think shrek will have to be removed and demolished and i think DM Will be announced when the ride opens in orlando and on the day we may see something on despicable me 2 or a teaser for DM Minion meyhem
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

  8. #8

    • Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    341

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    The tram garages, or ODV areas must be relocated in the Curious George/Shrek situation sure, but that inconveniences a much smaller group than the ENTIRETY of Universal's employees. So much is laid out between Walter's Gate and the entrance next to Shrek (which might just sit on the very edge of Potter), the amount of relocation would be mindblowing and frustrating. Add to that taking out the most popular show in the park which is designated just to get people wet during the summer months.
    There is no doubt employees will be inconvenienced regardless, but not putting Potter in a certain location solely on the fear of inconveniencing people is no way to build something. I doubt they are thinking "Well, this would be a good place to put it, but we cant do that because a whole bunch of employees will be inconvenienced". Measures can be taken to smoothly transition everyone to new and temporary locations before construction starts and for its duration. I have no doubt that the existing Employee road will be located under Potter, possibly in a tunnel or some such thing. It would probably be part of the phase one construction. The Entertainment dept has no reason to be next to WW if WW no longer exists (and why they aren't in 5511 anyway is beyond me.) The Costume Dept could be moved into portables, some parking spaces might have to be commandeered for a while. Also, any building not in the construction zone that involves the Gibson can be used for displaced departments since they will probably be empty eventually.

    Personally, my biggest gripe would be the removal of the Take 5, and I have no idea where it could go for the duration of the construction (Possibly in the Globe Theater next to T2 in a temp location?) It would take the theater out of rotation for a while but they have to put an upper lot cafe somewhere. Who knows, maybe they would just build around it.

    Once Potter is finished I'm sure a lot of the things that were taken out would be relocated into the Hogsmead buildings. Who knows maybe ODV would be moved regardless. There will probably be a new eating area that connects to the 3 Broomsticks, and there will probably be some new spaces for displaced departments like costumes.


    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    The area in which Waterworld sits isn't even that big, too, compared to the mammoth area comprised of Shrek/Curious George/Gibson (which might not even touch the tram garage if they're wise enough). Uni is pretty smart when it comes to dealing with space issues, they created a whole new technology in order to fit Transformers in its space. I'm sure they'll be very smart about Potter, you can already tell there's a long-term goal in place with the rumors of DM replacing T2.
    In the Gibson/Waterworld scenario there is a LOT more space than if you just take out Shrek/Curious George/Gibson:

    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...ius=15000&z=19

    Plus taking out Shrek also means taking out New York Street since its all the same building. Although I think you are right, either way they would have to push back into the tram area at least a little ways. There is a bit of road space that isn't needed anymore now that an artists entrance won't be needed. They will probably have part of whatever is there jut out on steel beams. I also suspect Curious George is getting taken out as well (in all scenarios) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the entrance will be.

    I think Ive been thinking of the area wrong, Ive always suspected that Hogwarts/Forbidden Journey would go where the Gibson is...but what if it went where WW is? They could fit Hogsmead into the Curious George/Gibson area, and then have the bridge from the movies across the Employee road and into the Hogwarts courtyard (Which isn't in the Orland version.)

    Eh, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about all this for real, speculation is fun but when it gets into the nitty-gritty it starts getting a bit harrowing.
    Last edited by s8ntmark; 05-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

    "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

  9. #9

    •   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chino Hills , CA
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    I would say purchase lakeside golf club , level it , then wam! trow potter land in , it's got lots of room
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    There is no doubt employees will be inconvenienced regardless, but not putting Potter in a certain location solely on the fear of inconveniencing people is no way to build something. I doubt they are thinking "Well, this would be a good place to put it, but we cant do that because a whole bunch of employees will be inconvenienced". Measures can be taken to smoothly transition everyone to new and temporary locations before construction starts and for its duration. I have no doubt that the existing Employee road will be located under Potter, possibly in a tunnel or some such thing. It would probably be part of the phase one construction. The Entertainment dept has no reason to be next to WW if WW no longer exists (and why they aren't in 5511 anyway is beyond me.) The Costume Dept could be moved into portables, some parking spaces might have to be commandeered for a while. Also, any building not in the construction zone that involves the Gibson can be used for displaced departments since they will probably be empty eventually.

    Personally, my biggest gripe would be the removal of the Take 5, and I have no idea where it could go for the duration of the construction (Possibly in the Globe Theater next to T2 in a temp location?) It would take the theater out of rotation for a while but they have to put an upper lot cafe somewhere. Who knows, maybe they would just build around it.

    Once Potter is finished I'm sure a lot of the things that were taken out would be relocated into the Hogsmead buildings. Who knows maybe ODV would be moved regardless. There will probably be a new eating area that connects to the 3 Broomsticks, and there will probably be some new spaces for displaced departments like costumes.




    In the Gibson/Waterworld scenario there is a LOT more space than if you just take out Shrek/Curious George/Gibson:

    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...ius=15000&z=19

    Plus taking out Shrek also means taking out New York Street since its all the same building. Although I think you are right, either way they would have to push back into the tram area at least a little ways. There is a bit of road space that isn't needed anymore now that an artists entrance won't be needed. They will probably have part of whatever is there jut out on steel beams. I also suspect Curious George is getting taken out as well (in all scenarios) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the entrance will be.

    I think Ive been thinking of the area wrong, Ive always suspected that Hogwarts/Forbidden Journey would go where the Gibson is...but what if it went where WW is? They could fit Hogsmead into the Curious George/Gibson area, and then have the bridge from the movies across the Employee road and into the Hogwarts courtyard (Which isn't in the Orland version.)

    Eh, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about all this for real, speculation is fun but when it gets into the nitty-gritty it starts getting a bit harrowing.
    Well the map you provided pretty much shows that removing Waterworld and the employee areas would screw up everything. USH is tiny, and there's no room to replace these things without wildly displacing everything. It's not just "a bunch of employees", every single employee of Universal Studios Hollywood walks through that passage. (unless, of course, you work in employee services)

    Like I keep saying: Universal Creative is fairly smart about this kind of stuff, and I highly doubt Hogsmead will be nearly as big as its Florida counterpart, and Hogwarts will probably be right behind it. Unless they tear down CityWalk, there's really not much they can do. It's going to be an abbreviated version of the IOA experience, and as long as Forbidden Journey is a part of it I doubt guests will mind much.

  11. #11

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,962
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    I dislike it a lot....they have other area's that COULD be used....yet they're taking out by far the best show there instead of just using the T2 area...I know the parking structure is weak...But that is very fixable but it would cost more so they don't do it even with all the other advances of that side of the park (free advertisement with the castle being seen in the freeway, using the old Chinese restaurant as an attraction one day, no great attractions are lost, that side is already some what built with a British influence etc)

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reseda, CA
    Posts
    346

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    There is no doubt employees will be inconvenienced regardless, but not putting Potter in a certain location solely on the fear of inconveniencing people is no way to build something. I doubt they are thinking "Well, this would be a good place to put it, but we cant do that because a whole bunch of employees will be inconvenienced". Measures can be taken to smoothly transition everyone to new and temporary locations before construction starts and for its duration. I have no doubt that the existing Employee road will be located under Potter, possibly in a tunnel or some such thing. It would probably be part of the phase one construction. The Entertainment dept has no reason to be next to WW if WW no longer exists (and why they aren't in 5511 anyway is beyond me.) The Costume Dept could be moved into portables, some parking spaces might have to be commandeered for a while. Also, any building not in the construction zone that involves the Gibson can be used for displaced departments since they will probably be empty eventually.

    Personally, my biggest gripe would be the removal of the Take 5, and I have no idea where it could go for the duration of the construction (Possibly in the Globe Theater next to T2 in a temp location?) It would take the theater out of rotation for a while but they have to put an upper lot cafe somewhere. Who knows, maybe they would just build around it
    .

    Once Potter is finished I'm sure a lot of the things that were taken out would be relocated into the Hogsmead buildings. Who knows maybe ODV would be moved regardless. There will probably be a new eating area that connects to the 3 Broomsticks, and there will probably be some new spaces for displaced departments like costumes.




    In the Gibson/Waterworld scenario there is a LOT more space than if you just take out Shrek/Curious George/Gibson:

    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...ius=15000&z=19

    Plus taking out Shrek also means taking out New York Street since its all the same building. Although I think you are right, either way they would have to push back into the tram area at least a little ways. There is a bit of road space that isn't needed anymore now that an artists entrance won't be needed. They will probably have part of whatever is there jut out on steel beams. I also suspect Curious George is getting taken out as well (in all scenarios) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the entrance will be.

    I think Ive been thinking of the area wrong, Ive always suspected that Hogwarts/Forbidden Journey would go where the Gibson is...but what if it went where WW is? They could fit Hogsmead into the Curious George/Gibson area, and then have the bridge from the movies across the Employee road and into the Hogwarts courtyard (Which isn't in the Orland version.)

    Eh, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about all this for real, speculation is fun but when it gets into the nitty-gritty it starts getting a bit harrowing.
    they would probably make Cyber Grill the temp place like they did when they remodeled it

  13. #13

    • Rating: Awesome
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Subspace
    Posts
    35

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Waterworld is rated against every other attraction in the park and is not only consistently but overwhelmingly the highest rated attraction at USH. On the slowest days of the off peak season WW is still pulling in 2500+ guests per show

  14. #14

    • Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    341

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottpilgrim View Post
    Waterworld is rated against every other attraction in the park and is not only consistently but overwhelmingly the highest rated attraction at USH. On the slowest days of the off peak season WW is still pulling in 2500+ guests per show
    True as that may be, I think the almighty dollar (and the millions of dollars in revenue Potter will generate) would trump a high rated show if they needed the space. People who don't know about Waterworld don't come to Universal for it, they see it once they are there. People will come specifically for Potter.

    I know it doesn't make sense but I really think USH is will to give up almost anything for Potter...Its going to be a major game changer. Believe me, Potter is a big BIG deal.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

    "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

  15. #15

    • Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    341

    Re: What would your reaction be if Waterworld WAS removed for Potter?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post


    It makes me think back to a quote by Walt Disney back when Disneyland was about to open. The plumbers strike left them with two options: less operating toilets or less operating water fountains. To which Walt replied, "They can buy coke, but they can't pee on the street!"

    The tram garages, or ODV areas must be relocated in the Curious George/Shrek situation sure, but that inconveniences a much smaller group than the ENTIRETY of Universal's employees. So much is laid out between Walter's Gate and the entrance next to Shrek (which might just sit on the very edge of Potter), the amount of relocation would be mindblowing and frustrating. Add to that taking out the most popular show in the park which is designated just to get people wet during the summer months.

    The area in which Waterworld sits isn't even that big, too, compared to the mammoth area comprised of Shrek/Curious George/Gibson (which might not even touch the tram garage if they're wise enough). Uni is pretty smart when it comes to dealing with space issues, they created a whole new technology in order to fit Transformers in its space. I'm sure they'll be very smart about Potter, you can already tell there's a long-term goal in place with the rumors of DM replacing T2.
    As you can see, even in Florida, revenue trumps employee convenience:

    What’s more, Universal has begun backstage construction along a long path which runs directly between Universal’s new Harry Potter construction site and the current Wizarding World at Islands of Adventure. Though, due to the location of the construction and it’s length, it will severely impact resort operations from the parade staging area, to costume facility access and general back stage navigation. But this is a project of such importance, that it is well worth the current growing pains.

    Hogwarts Express is Arriving at Universal Orlando
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

    "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What would your window be?
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
  2. What would your Patronus be?
    By Lost Boy in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
  3. What would your reailty show be like?
    By Indiana J in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
  5. What would your tombstone say??
    By LightBeer in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 02:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •