Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Heard a depressing rumor about USH's Potter...Maybe someone knows more?

^I believe he said it, I just don't believe it.

I walk the backlot all the time, and I'm always using google maps to find new places. He may have been talking about the land on the East of the Backlot, which really can't be used for 2 reasons.

1. It's basically a steep hill.
    2. There are houses on the top of that hill.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Banned User

You haven't acknowledged that Hogswarts Castle is on a steep hill. Constructing a castle on a hill is no easy task, but it is much easier to start there than demolishing Gibson and starting over.

What houses? Can't they select another area on the hill? All of Universal is on a hill.

Since we are talking about 200 acres, there are many possibilities. Most existing movie sets can be cleared for Hogswarts and Hogsmeade. Nothing is sacred.

Just a small interesting thought. What if they do build this in an unused portion of the backlot and to get to it you ride a version the rumored Hogwarts Express thats coming to Universal Orlando. I know the idea sounds far fetched but no more far fetched then the idea of Amity being Leveled and replaced with the Potter expansion with a Hogwarts Express connecting both Wizarding Worlds thru backstage areas in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_DC2 View Post
    Just a small interesting thought. What if they do build this in an unused portion of the backlot and to get to it you ride a version the rumored Hogwarts Express thats coming to Universal Orlando. I know the idea sounds far fetched but no more far fetched then the idea of Amity being Leveled and replaced with the Potter expansion with a Hogwarts Express connecting both Wizarding Worlds thru backstage areas in Orlando.
    I was thinking of something similar. Maybe have a London portion with Diagon Alley inside the theme park. Then have a recreation of London's Kings Cross Station where you can board your Hogward Express that takes you to the backlot. The train can even go through that spinning avalance tunnel and arrive at Hogsmead and Hogward castle on the other side.

Just a thought.

During Horror Nights we always have a problem with the houses on the hill over the War of the Worlds set, which is why Chainsaws are limited now and the tour closes at 12.

Even though the lot is right on the studio, the park is generally not allowed to expand into the backlot. The tour is a different matter as it is a window to the studio.

What old sets are you referring to?
    From a business and a transport stand point, it would be terribly difficult, and expensive to build Hogwarts in the backlot. Also, there are many noise constraints back there, due to constant filming, which is why we don't have an outdoor coaster.

• Banned User

Not allowed by who? There is no legal, business, or transport impediment. Besides, universal has proposed expansion with houses, residencial development. There's yet another article from Deadline Hollywood about film production leaving California due to high taxes. Please explain your rebuttal.

As for movie sets, I was referring to them in general, not specifically.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    You haven't acknowledged that Hogswarts Castle is on a steep hill. Constructing a castle on a hill is no easy task, but it is much easier to start there than demolishing Gibson and starting over.

What houses? Can't they select another area on the hill? All of Universal is on a hill.

Since we are talking about 200 acres, there are many possibilities. Most existing movie sets can be cleared for Hogswarts and Hogsmeade. Nothing is sacred.
    Yes, there's 200 acres but most of it is unusable because of the steep hills. It costs a lot of money to level that much land. The JP complex was built for around $150 million but most of that went to leveling the land.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Not allowed by who? There is no legal, business, or transport impediment. Besides, universal has proposed expansion with houses, residencial development. There's yet another article from Deadline Hollywood about film production leaving California due to high taxes. Please explain your rebuttal.

As for movie sets, I was referring to them in general, not specifically.

The theme park and the studio are not one in the same. They are two different divisions of the same company that just so happen to share the same property. The theme park cannot decide on its own that it's going to take over part of the back lot to expand. The real money maker on the property is the studio, not the theme park. The studio will not give up its real estate.

Yes, there was a property wide expansion plan proposed but it was a 25 year plan that basically was reorganizing and/or relocating and/or destroying and/or modernizing existing facilities on studio property to create space for a planned community with transit center and an expansion for the theme park and CityWalk. The plan was criticized by every community that surrounds the property. The home owners that are on the edges of the property, particularly the ones on the hill overlooking Falls Lake/WotW/Bates/etc, are very vocal when they don't like something and are not afraid to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    I was thinking of something similar. Maybe have a London portion with Diagon Alley inside the theme park. Then have a recreation of London's Kings Cross Station where you can board your Hogward Express that takes you to the backlot. The train can even go through that spinning avalance tunnel and arrive at Hogsmead and Hogward castle on the other side.

Just a thought.
    The problems this creates with filming aside, this creates issues with where this train will load/unload at both stops. There simply isn't room in the upper or lower lot to create a load/unload station and queue (realistically) the size of the Studio Tour complex to satisfy guest demand.

• Banned User

"The theme park and the studio are not one in the same. They are two different divisions of the same company that just so happen to share the same property. The theme park cannot decide on its own that it's going to take over part of the back lot to expand. The real money maker on the property is the studio, not the theme park. The studio will not give up its real estate."

I was hoping to understand this, but it is hopeless. This right and left brain stuff makes no sense. I never expected any theme park decision to be made in isolation. The Universal executive could not be so careless. Neither is the 25 year old plan, which was unpopular, but clearly describes possibilities that extend well beyond the studio and theme park. It seemed like they were willing to sacrifice the studio backlot. Any suggestion that the studio is a big moneymaking property doesn't appear to be the priority at least with the backlot.

Harry Potter can remake the theme park into a big moneymaker. Why would the studio object since they are one and the same with upper management?

^The studio would much rather make a movie and have it make $1 Billion at the box office. Movies and other forms of media pay off much quicker than theme park attractions.

BTW: I believe most of the 25 year plan was scrapped after the city of LA asked Universal to reconsider the expansion plan.

• Banned User

Movies have the potential to make billions, but Universal's backlot is a "for rent" facility. Theme Parks are a big money maker, at least when you compare the performance of Disney. Disney has no permanent backlot so your argument fails.

Movies are like slot machines. They are gambles, while theme parks are investments with long term steady revenue. Universal seems to have found a way to compete with Disney on this front, yet you are suggesting it won't happen.

Disney does have a backlot, it is about 5 minutes east of Universal, right next to Warner Bros.

The only difference here is that both parts of the company share the same lot at universal.

Also, yes movies are a gamble, but you can put the odds in your corner by finding a great script, actors, and director. I think Fox had a good idea they were going to make money with Avatar, or they would not have invested $500 Million in it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW:1056798949
    "The theme park and the studio are not one in the same. They are two different divisions of the same company that just so happen to share the same property. The theme park cannot decide on its own that it's going to take over part of the back lot to expand. The real money maker on the property is the studio, not the theme park. The studio will not give up its real estate."

I was hoping to understand this, but it is hopeless. This right and left brain stuff makes no sense. I never expected any theme park decision to be made in isolation. The Universal executive could not be so careless. Neither is the 25 year old plan, which was unpopular, but clearly describes possibilities that extend well beyond the studio and theme park. It seemed like they were willing to sacrifice the studio backlot. Any suggestion that the studio is a big moneymaking property doesn't appear to be the priority at least with the backlot.

Harry Potter can remake the theme park into a big moneymaker. Why would the studio object since they are one and the same with upper management?
    The upper management of the studio and the theme park are not the same. Everything is separate all the way down to the golf carts and ids.

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    The upper management of the studio and the theme park are not the same. Everything is separate all the way down to the golf carts and ids.
    this. youd have to know someone that works at the park/studios to understand. its a cluster you know what.

• Rookie Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    Absolutely right! Even a quick look at NBC Universal's corporate site shows that the studios, television networks, other subsidiaries and theme parks all have their own separate presidents, vice presidents, and boards that run them, and everything runs in it's own separate sphere.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

• C4C6C

Everything is just that....RUMORS.

But, Ticketmaster's website is not selling any tickets beyond 2012, it appears. Certain people in Operations at USH that I still know from back in the day have confirmed the Gibson is being torn down to make way for the Harry Potter.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast