Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: With Dispicable Me Building Larger At USH, Will Ride Be More Elaborate Than USF?

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This is why I am skeptical we will get an exact clone. The ride system at USF is OLD. Really old. I mean we are talking about a simulator system developed almost 25 years ago. Why would USH spend all of that money to completely tear down and rebuild the Terminator facility just to put in a stale technology?

IF they are going to tear down that building as a part of the process, I'd have to imagine they would have the money to make substantive some changes to the ride system. IF, on the other hand, they are just putting simulators into the Terminator theater, then count me not interested.
    Yes...we are definitely not clone bound. I think we can expect to experience something on the order of mind-blowing fresh.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: With Dispicable Me Building Larger At USH, Will Ride Be More Elaborate Than USF?

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Maybe it's a difference of opinion, but I don't think the ride system is that bad. It's a pretty basic setup, but it still does the job. I mean it's not like the motion bases are somehow deficient. They're just old. And the new 3-D glasses largely fix the previous issue of being able to see the other vehicles, by blocking most of your peripheral vision. They wouldn't have to use an exact clone of what was built for USF 20 years ago (I'm not sure DM even uses all of the original parts) but I don't think it's out of the question for them to use a newer installation that does the same things (I'm sure plenty of companies still make such basic simulators.)

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I used to think of Hanna-Barbera and Jimmy Neutron as "kiddie" simulators because of how they were set up. Mediocre C-ticket attractions at best. I could probably count how many times I rode Neutron on one hand. But the ride system can't be the problem, because I like Despicable Me enough to consider it a solid D-ticket in terms of quality. I even prefer it over similar, but much larger attractions that are supposed to be anchors for their respective parks.

I don't know how large USH's Terminator theater is, since I've never been in it, but I don't see how they would realistically be able to do anything too different, given the nature of the attraction. I can guarantee they'll want to recycle the stuff that was used in our version, including the film. That doesn't give you many options.
    Good point that the existing tech in Terminator still helps to deliver a fun "with a punch" experience. But, it's time for something cutting edge that will leave the audience begging for more.

• Certified in everything

Maybe it's a difference of opinion, but I don't think the ride system is that bad. It's a pretty basic setup, but it still does the job. I mean it's not like the motion bases are somehow deficient. They're just old. And the new 3-D glasses largely fix the previous issue of being able to see the other vehicles, by blocking most of your peripheral vision. They wouldn't have to use an exact clone of what was built for USF 20 years ago (I'm not sure DM even uses all of the original parts) but I don't think it's out of the question for them to use a newer installation that does the same things (I'm sure plenty of companies still make such basic simulators.)

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I used to think of Hanna-Barbera and Jimmy Neutron as "kiddie" simulators because of how they were set up. Mediocre C-ticket attractions at best. I could probably count how many times I rode Neutron on one hand. But the ride system can't be the problem, because I like Despicable Me enough to consider it a solid D-ticket in terms of quality. I even prefer it over similar, but much larger attractions that are supposed to be anchors for their respective parks.

I don't know how large USH's Terminator theater is, since I've never been in it, but I don't see how they would realistically be able to do anything too different, given the nature of the attraction. I can guarantee they'll want to recycle the stuff that was used in our version, including the film. That doesn't give you many options.
    I get this and too be fair I have only ridden the Jimmy Neutron version, so I don't know first hand how efficient the new glasses are at blocking out other vehicles/sides of the theater. I just think if you're going to spend the money building a bunch of new simulators for USH, why not enclose them/do something different to build on what you learned over the past 20 years. It definitely provides a better experience to be enclosed and can't be that much of a cost difference (though this assumption is based on nothing).

Regardless of all of this, at the end of the day I really really don't want another film based attraction. The one thing that kept me coming back to T2 was the live action stuff. Straight film attractions are only so durable.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I get this and too be fair I have only ridden the Jimmy Neutron version, so I don't know first hand how efficient the new glasses are at blocking out other vehicles/sides of the theater. I just think if you're going to spend the money building a bunch of new simulators for USH, why not enclose them/do something different to build on what you learned over the past 20 years. It definitely provides a better experience to be enclosed and can't be that much of a cost difference (though this assumption is based on nothing).

Regardless of all of this, at the end of the day I really really don't want another film based attraction. The one thing that kept me coming back to T2 was the live action stuff. Straight film attractions are only so durable.
    Regadless of wherether it's a ride or f3-Dilm-based attraction, wouldn't it be great if there were to be live action elements, and other things such as laser, hydro, pyro and smoke effects - plus holography and/or animatronics.

• Minion

Confirming DM will take a year and a half to open (Summer 2014) and if I understand what was said correctly, most of the T2/CS complex will be torn down.

I think we can all agree that USH really doesn't need another simulator. Especially copies of existing USF attractions! A real dark ride has been long overdue. I guess the folks down at Universal don't care much for USH as compared to USF

^Um, USH is getting the Forbidden Journey and they just opened Transformers. Those are two of what many consider to be the BEST dark rides in the world.

And its not that they don't care about the Hollywood property, they do, its just that USH has an EXTREME lack of space. Plus, they have to deal with the Studio and their demands.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^maybe Unviersals "best" but not the best rides period...that title is still owed by Pirates

I am not really looking forward to it...rather have how to train your Dragons...but its cheaper this way I guess

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^maybe Unviersals "best" but not the best rides period...that title is still owed by Pirates
    I just laughed out loud. Yes Pirates viewed in it's time "is the best ride" just like Citizen Cane when viewed in it's time is the "best movie of all time".

That doesn't mean that films since Citizen Cane haven't been more watched, more beloved, and stayed more relevant.

So why yes Pirates changed the industry, changed entertainment, changed everything.

Spiderman, Transformers, Forbidden Journey are all FAR better rides today.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

You folks know opinions are subjective, right? Just checking. You're not going to find a "best ride" everyone agrees on, so it's a pointless thing to argue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

You folks know opinions are subjective, right? Just checking. You're not going to find a "best ride" everyone agrees on, so it's a pointless thing to argue.
    Clearly my objective reality is the only correct perspective that all opinions and subjects must be viewed from! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    I think we can all agree that USH really doesn't need another simulator. Especially copies of existing USF attractions! A real dark ride has been long overdue. I guess the folks down at Universal don't care much for USH as compared to USF
    And also don't forget Jurrasic park: The ride
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    Confirming DM will take a year and a half to open (Summer 2014) and if I understand what was said correctly, most of the T2/CS complex will be torn down.
    If this proves true, apparently the attraction plans are quite elaborate....and this is an awesome thing!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    I don't think Universal Hollywood should create any other animation (i.e., cartoon) based simulator rides. The Simpsons, Shrek, and Dispicable Me will be quite enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    ^Um, USH is getting the Forbidden Journey and they just opened Transformers. Those are two of what many consider to be the BEST dark rides in the world.

And its not that they don't care about the Hollywood property, they do, its just that USH has an EXTREME lack of space. Plus, they have to deal with the Studio and their demands.
    It's great that Unuversal is managing to make the best out of limited space to accomodate headline attractions such as Forbidden Journey and Transformers!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

I am not really looking forward to it...rather have how to train your Dragons...but its cheaper this way I guess
    How To Train Your Dragon would be a great movie to base a ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I just laughed out loud. Yes Pirates viewed in it's time "is the best ride" just like Citizen Cane when viewed in it's time is the "best movie of all time".

That doesn't mean that films since Citizen Cane haven't been more watched, more beloved, and stayed more relevant.

So why yes Pirates changed the industry, changed entertainment, changed everything.

Competition among ride designers is a wonderful thing. Can't wait to see what's up ahead in the future.

Sage perspective. I agree.

Clearly my objective reality is the only correct perspective that all opinions and subjects must be viewed from! lol
    Clearly! I know that I base my perspectives on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexshow View Post
    And also don't forget Jurrasic park: The ride
    Jurasic Park: The Ride is a thrill a second, not to mention a thematic master piece. It's my favorite water flume ride.

• i heart plunging v-necks

I also hope it will be a dark ride, maybe utilizing similar tech as Cat in the Hat.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    This is good to hear. I doubt a simple clone of USF's version of Despicable Me would take this long. Given that Universal looks like they will be able to build a full clone of Transformers from the ground up in less than a year, I doubt we are getting a replica.

I agree, but at the same time the last thing USH needs in another film based attraction. All of these rely heavily on film, I'd like something with more dimension.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast