Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: With Dispicable Me Building Larger At USH, Will Ride Be More Elaborate Than USF?

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This is good to hear. I doubt a simple clone of USF's version of Despicable Me would take this long. Given that Universal looks like they will be able to build a full clone of Transformers from the ground up in less than a year, I doubt we are getting a replica.

This kind of sounds like optimistic, wishful logic. A clone of an existing ride(in two other Universal parks, Hollywood and Singapore) is being recreated in a year, therefore a longer construction period for a different attraction equals a non-clone? In Florida, a full nine months passed between the closing of "Jimmy Neutron" and the opening of "Despicable Me: MM". They had the disadvantage of the film elements (presumably) not complete when the conversion started, but they had the HUGE advantage of having the ride system already in place inside of the building. We may just be getting the same attraction, although it would make sense to use some elements from the sequel. The recent trailer(not the "Ba, Ba, Barann"one) seemed to hit at something involving an alien abduction, and Al Pacino is listed on IMDB as joining the voice cast.

• Certified in everything

Re: With Dispicable Me Building Larger At USH, Will Ride Be More Elaborate Than USF?

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    This kind of sounds like optimistic, wishful logic. A clone of an existing ride(in two other Universal parks, Hollywood and Singapore) is being recreated in a year, therefore a longer construction period for a different attraction equals a non-clone? In Florida, a full nine months passed between the closing of "Jimmy Neutron" and the opening of "Despicable Me: MM". They had the disadvantage of the film elements (presumably) not complete when the conversion started, but they had the HUGE advantage of having the ride system already in place inside of the building. We may just be getting the same attraction, although it would make sense to use some elements from the sequel. The recent trailer(not the "Ba, Ba, Barann"one) seemed to hit at something involving an alien abduction, and Al Pacino is listed on IMDB as joining the voice cast.
    All I was trying to get at here was that if Universal is able clone Transformers from the ground up in a year, they surely could clone Despicable Me in that time as well, if not less. Despicable Me not only in a simple simulator system (that could easily be built off-site and transported over), but it lacks the pyro, elevators and other technical effects that make the construction of Transformers time-consuming. Transformers is clearly a more sophisticated attraction, and thus I think it logically follows that its clone would take longer than Despicable Me.

I see what you're saying about Despicable Me taking 9 months to build at USF, but there it had to be programed and tested, a process that would be far less time consuming with experience in a second incarnation.

I know I'm being optimistic here, but I think there is a good case that in nine months we can expect something more, at least if Universal builds at the pace they have been in their Florida parks.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Transformers is a special case. They have monetary incentive to get it up and running at USF within an unusually limited time frame, and they're paying the construction company extra to work around the clock and meet their deadline. You wouldn't see this sort of urgency on any other project. Not even the Potter expansion is going nearly that fast. And the fact that it took them nine months to get DM open here is actually pretty ridiculous, which just goes to show...

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I just laughed out loud. Yes Pirates viewed in it's time "is the best ride" just like Citizen Cane when viewed in it's time is the "best movie of all time".

That doesn't mean that films since Citizen Cane haven't been more watched, more beloved, and stayed more relevant.

So why yes Pirates changed the industry, changed entertainment, changed everything.

Spiderman, Transformers, Forbidden Journey are all FAR better rides today.
    Mmmm...i guess...but Transformers has no heart compared to Pirates....yeah it's got some coo effects but in the end its just a screen....anyone can make that compared to the craftsmanship and planning that went into Pirates....its an amazing ride...while Universal just uses screen and while cool....can just be replaced one day with the "newer" cool thing....Will Transformers be around in 30 year? No Will Pirates, Yes

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well the one thing I love about the despicable me ride is that regardless of what happens in the sequels the ride can stand on its own.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I agree, but at the same time the last thing USH needs in another film based attraction. All of these rely heavily on film, I'd like something with more dimension.
    But that's the theme of the park. It's a movie studio.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Well the one thing I love about the despicable me ride is that regardless of what happens in the sequels the ride can stand on its own.
    So could How to Train your Dragon...or really any move they did...Shrek's show was really good and so was terminators the first ten times...the real problem with universal are preshows....if they changed them up COOL but most of them stay the same and get boring much faster then the show

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    But that's the theme of the park. It's a movie studio.
    I believe the slogan on the park is "ride the movies", not "watch the movies again".

EDIT: I think you may have misread my post. I was commenting on the fact that I don't think USH needs another attraction where a majority of the experience is based on watching a film (Transformers, T2, The Simpsons, Shrek), not that I don't think that the attractions should be based on films. Of course all of Universal's attractions should be based on films/the film industry.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    So could How to Train your Dragon...or really any move they did...Shrek's show was really good and so was terminators the first ten times...the real problem with universal are preshows....if they changed them up COOL but most of them stay the same and get boring much faster then the show
    One could say the same thing about any attraction. I have ridden Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Pirates well over 200 times each, and I know them inside and out, and am sooooo bored with them.

While I do marvel at the scale, and it is wonderful and all... the gags don't work, I can recite the entire audio, and I know instantly when something isn't working.

• Team Hail HYDRA

it took USF nine months because they had the simulators before hand
    now they need totally new ones

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    it took USF nine months because they had the simulators before hand
    now they need totally new ones
    I think this is an accurate statement.

If they do use the same ride system, I will just be really surprised, as it was/is such a flawed Ride System.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I know that Intamin made the original ride system, which I do not believe they make any more, however they have kind of a 2.0 version of that ride system

Maxi Motion Seat > Simulators >

http://data.sphosting.ch/Intamin/Med...ion%20Seat.pdf

• Team Hail HYDRA

Ya the seats version
    i can see them go cheap and have us sit in the current seats or.....
    see if they can make them custom for USH
    i know other companies do this for other parks

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

That or mabye during production of despicable me 2 they were making the hollywood ride.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

I'm obviously in a minority here, but I hate Despicable Me. The ride is way too over-commercialized, the "story" lacks any kind of believability, the sentimentality is way too forced, and overall the attraction is devoid of that same sense of magic and emotional connection that made USF's past rides so compelling. I'll even go as far as to say that I found Nicktoon Blast to be the superior ride, despite the fact that it suffered from having extremely narrow appeal. At least JNNB actually took a few creative risks and had a wider scope and ambition (even though it didn't completely live up to it). DM is an improvement on a technical level, but it embarrassingly fails in every other aspect.

Honestly, Universal would have been better off keeping Hanna-Barbera and just updating it with today's technology.

If they really are going to clone it to USH, they should at least theme the building to look like the neighborhood Gru lives in, rather than tackily drop a house in front of a soundstage like USF did. But it's going to take a lot more than that to make me ever enjoy that dreadful ride.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast