Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Hello Dolly.

Re: Hogwarts Express Letdown?

I believe this ride literally has effects everywhere throughout the cabin so I'm sure video can't do it justice. The latest reviews are saying the ride is amazing.

Does anyone know if the train departs engine in front?

all videos show it arriving into station engine first but does the track have a turn so that it also leaves engine first then turns and heads back to the next station?
    i don't see a turn on the track on google map so does the train arrive backwards when arriving kings crossing?

if so are people queuing up on platform do do they queue up in separate area and just see train after it arrives?

• Bangarang!

^I was wondering the same thing. There's no way they've looped the track, so the only alternative is a turntable, which would also take up a lot of room.

I guess that it does just run backwards.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

The train just reverses back out of Hogsmead all the way to London.

• Former Churro Jockey

There are trains that have locomotives at either end so that they can quickly depart in the other direction, so that would be my guess. It wouldn't be hard for UNI to hide the locomotive in the back of your train when you are loading, and you'd never see it from the train, so I'm sure it will always look like you are going forward regardless of which direction the train is going.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    There are trains that have locomotives at either end so that they can quickly depart in the other direction, so that would be my guess. It wouldn't be hard for UNI to hide the locomotive in the back of your train when you are loading, and you'd never see it from the train, so I'm sure it will always look like you are going forward regardless of which direction the train is going.
    There is only one locomotive and it is only for show as the trains are cable cars.

Spoiler Alert! I don't know if it's necessary, but just in case.

While the screen seems off with the fact it seems to be just a television, I read that it's apparently 3D. Don't know how the 3D will work, or how well it will work. But if it works well it will definitely add an interesting element. It will at least be something a little different rather than just watching tv. Also, we'll see shadows of our favorite trio apparently along with Dementors potentially.

In the beginning process of them talking about the ride, Universal made it sound as if your experience will differ, so anything could really happen. You could see shadows of students, a Dementor, or something else. Who knows?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Videos of both ride experiences (going from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade and vice versa) are available online.

I think it's great. I like that it's an attraction in itself and you get your own enclosed private room for the surrounding experience. If it had been a standard train ride between the two parks you would be looking at nothing but backstage buildings during both trips. This way you're still within the Harry Potter world even when switching parks and as Disney would put it, keeps you in the magic without taking you out.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Certified in everything

After reading some reviews of the look of the screens from the train windows, I may have jumped the gun on being disappointed with the projections.

However, I am disappointed that the trains just back out of the station in full view of guests (really think it only looks odd from Hogsmeade). I remember reading somewhere that there would be some attempt made to obscure the revised engine at the station and to not have guest on the platforms when the trains moved in reverse.

In hindsight this would make little practical sense, but I am still slightly disappointed that nothing at all was done.
    Last edited by cruise; 06-27-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    Spoiler Alert! I don't know if it's necessary, but just in case.

While the screen seems off with the fact it seems to be just a television, I read that it's apparently 3D. Don't know how the 3D will work, or how well it will work. But if it works well it will definitely add an interesting element. It will at least be something a little different rather than just watching tv. Also, we'll see shadows of our favorite trio apparently along with Dementors potentially.
    It isn't a typical 3D effect. The layered screen technology is designed to give the visuals more depth. Things will look like they're closer or farther away, aided by the use of parallax (line of sight), but they aren't meant to "pop out" as is usually the case with 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    In the beginning process of them talking about the ride, Universal made it sound as if your experience will differ, so anything could really happen. You could see shadows of students, a Dementor, or something else. Who knows?
    There's two different ride experiences, one for each direction you're traveling. No randomization.

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    However, I am disappointed that the trains just back out of the station in full view of guests (really think it only looks odd from Hogsmeade). I remember reading somewhere that there would be some attempt made to observe the revised engine at the station and to not have guest on the platforms when the trains moved in reverse.
    I too find it surprising that guests get to see the train leave Hogsmeade, if that is indeed the case, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. Real trains have been known to travel in reverse.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 06-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.

We just went about two weeks ago.

Yes, the "windows" are screens. They are executed fairly well, and have a decent 3D look, but it's not really going to fool you.

There is also stuff that happens in the hallway outside your car. (silhouettes on the carriage glass doors)

It did all seem a little rushed.... kind of like "let's see how many things we can throw into a 5 or 6 minute train ride..." a bunch of look left, look right, huh cool, look left, we've arrived... wave at Hagrid who somehow got ahead of us, changed, and is welcoming students...

It's not going to blow your socks off. But it wasn't bad either. Diagon Alley as a whole (buildings, feeling, atmosphere, etc.) was better, and pretty cool. Much better than the other more "open air" Hogwarts area of the park. (In my opinion)

• Hello Dolly.

This ride was awesome. Not a letdown at all. Being in the station watching the train come in is a trip! Glad to hear the they've been able to keep the line a decent wait.

• Former Churro Jockey

I thought it was just kind of fun but not awesome or visually amazing. A more fun way to get from one park to another then a regular tram or monorail.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12