Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Certified in everything

Hogwarts Express Letdown?

Trying to reserve judgement until I have a chance to visit in August, but I caught this video which features a quick clip of the Hogwarts Express about 10/15 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGl...fKb3QeOYG7pAuA

I have to say, from the looks of the video it kind of just appears that the "window" is just a screen right next to the window. Am I the only one who was expecting a little more?

Waiting to make a full judgment until I experience it myself.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Re: Hogwarts Express Letdown?

The clip only shows a brief glimpse of the image seen from the window. I was checking googlemaps, which recently updated their satellite photo of the area, and you can see that the trip between the two parks is going to be loooonng! A lot of track, and a lot could happen during the trip. So, yes, it's to soon to pass judgment on the finished product, especially since the "Hogwarts Express" is not the crown jewel of the new expansion. That would be "Escape From Gringott's".

• Singing Drinker

As I understood the press release, it's to be a combination of the screens plus the cars themselves as well as actors riding the train along with you. Definitely something more than just that one element.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I get that there will be more to the experience and that id be really expensive to make real scenery for people to view, but from that one small clip i am a bit letdown. Honestly it seems just like a room with a TV on the side, with no real effort into making it look like your looking out of the window. I'm fine with them using a screen for the windows it just needs some depth to make it believable. That being said the whole area looks exceptional and if this is the lowest point of the new expansion then kudos to Universal.

• former CM

We'll know soon enough.

• Under that tree again!

I'm worried that the loading will be slow. It looks to have a lot of seating and a narrow isle.

The interior looks very well done, that causes me more concern as guests will ruin it.

The screens are worse than I expected. Rather disappointed about the look of the window side of the cabin because it doesn't look like the movie. The benches look to hold more guests and I think near the isle you will be looking at a lot of heads.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I was expecting the screen to be the window (which is how it was described originally), which means it would be much longer like one of the actual windows on the Hogwarts Express, not obviously a television screen. I hope they are still fine tweaking it, or something to appear more realistic even if the size proportion is off.

However, so far everything in this theme park is perfection, so I'm not that worried, or disappointed if it just ends up being basically you watching something on a television screen. The Hogwarts Express is mainly for transportation purposes and for people to have the ability to experience riding it.

While yes, you should be skeptical but with how it was shot; It was shot

awful and not in the ideal lighting procautions so until the ride opens

and people and everyone rides it, that's just for what the screens

useful purpose.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I was expecting the screen to be the window (which is how it was described originally), which means it would be much longer like one of the actual windows on the Hogwarts Express, not obviously a television screen. I hope they are still fine tweaking it, or something to appear more realistic even if the size proportion is off.

However, so far everything in this theme park is perfection, so I'm not that worried, or disappointed if it just ends up being basically you watching something on a television screen. The Hogwarts Express is mainly for transportation purposes and for people to have the ability to experience riding it.
    The length of the screen is accurate. Or accurate enough. In terms of height, some of the shots in those videos cut off the top portion of the windows, with the dividers, but they're there.

This is not the sort of attraction that will photograph well, especially under the type of lighting needed for filming such as this. I can guarantee it will not look like this in person.

• FastPass+ Expert

They were probably using external lighting for filming.
    I do some podcasts and I use some pretty filthy language. If you're interested, you can check them out. But don't say I didn't warn you.

http://jerradshow.com

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

My friend who works Gringotts has ridden the train several times, and his first thing was that it wasn't anything special in terms of the window. It really does look like a window with a TV outside it. But he said to sit next to the door, as a lot of stuff happens on other side of the door that makes it neat to be beside.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    My friend who works Gringotts has ridden the train several times, and his first thing was that it wasn't anything special in terms of the window. It really does look like a window with a TV outside it. But he said to sit next to the door, as a lot of stuff happens on other side of the door that makes it neat to be beside.
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe this will be Universal's Nemo Sub Ride--the fans will drool Pavlovianly in the first month, then by the end of the summer some kid will point out to all that the emperor's naked. "Hey, it's mostly just TV screens!" Still, it looked cool to me, and I'll try to take Disney Analyst's advice and sit by the door. If it gets bad reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal improved it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    If it gets bad reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal improved it.
    The reviews so far seem to say it's another impressive hit.

• "What is thy bidding?"

If the screens aren't immersive as expected then it will have a "Video killed the Radio Star" effect. Hope for the best though and that what we have seen in the train on video does not do it justice.

• Bangarang!

Just watched a video and I'm a little underwhelmed. Sure it probably is better in person, but it just seems to miss the mark somehow.

Maybe I'm just not that thrilled at a recreation of the M25.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast