• Semi-Bitter Former Rat

Universal IOA help - (tix, hotel, transpot)

Anyone have some advice for me for this scenario?

Family of four - we're flying into Orlando and staying for a week on WDW property. That's all fine. But we wanted to do a day at IOA so we could ride Spiderman so I planned for one less evening at Port Orleans and figured we could book a hotel for the one night we aren't at Disney parks at a Hyatt, Marriott or Fairfield Inn near Universal (since I have miles on a credit card rewards program I'd like to use).

So, since I can't get Magical Express to take me to IOA and then the the airport the next day, I'd love to hear if anyone has ideas. I was toying with the idea of trying to book the Hyatt that's inside the Orlando airport, figuring that I could get Magical Express to take us there free and then we could check in for one night there and hopefully catch a shuttle to IOA.

Also, any ideas on cheap one day tickets? I have a $5 off coupon from the Entertainment book would I would love a better deal on a four-pack, if possible.

Anyone have thoughts on how to do this? I know this is what Disney doesn't want people to do (thus, Magical Express) but we've got to try out Spiderman (and some other things at IOA, I guess).

Thanks in advance for the help!

RQ
    Last edited by redquail; 04-14-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot to ask for ticket help

• Shablagoo!

Re: Universal IOA help - (tix, hotel, transpot)

the one tiem I went ot Orlando without a rental car, my mother and I caught a MEars shuttle over to IOA. It worked pretty good. We took it right from Dixie Landings (Port Orleans Riverside).

• "There's always my way"

To get cheaper price for the tickets, I would recommend if you purchase them online at the Universal Orlando website: http://www.universalorlando.com
    You could try to explore any other possibilities like visiting Universal Studios on the same day for a good, cheap price. I would definitely check that website out.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Semi-Bitter Former Rat

Thanks! We're staying at the Hyatt at the airport for the last night between our visit to IOA and flying home. I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for a shuttle back and forth to IOA.

RQ

•   

With 4 people, a shuttle is sometimes more expensive than a taxi. Find out the prices for both before you book tickets on the shuttle. Plus, a taxi is direct and quicker.

If you get a taxi, choose a Mears brand (Checker, Yellow (orange colored cabs - yeah, I know), or City). Stay away from Ace Metro or an idependent taxi.

Go to www.mearstransportation.com for more info.

• The Delicate Tinkerbell

I had gotten my IOA tickets there at the park. But if you have an Entertainer coupon use it. Any discount is better than none. You'll run across some booths here and there in Orlando that offer "discounted or free tickets" to IOA. Those are usually timeshare marketing.

As far as the hotel goes not sure what to advise. I stayed at a Best Western in Orlando.

Have fun! IOA is awesome. One of my favorite parks!

• Semi-Bitter Former Rat

It does look like it's cheaper through the taxi. The Hyatt quoted me $19.00 a person for their shuttle to and from Universal, plus they have restrictive timing (only until 8:00 PM). Mears quoted me $20 for the kids and about $30 for my wife and me. By comparison, the taxi is about $30 each way (plus tip, I guess). Still worth the savings, especially for the freedom to come and go. Thanks for the tip!

•   

Since it looks like you will take a taxi, here is a little info. All taxi drivers in Orlando are either contractors for Mears or Ace Metro (there are two or three other very small companies), or they own the cab they drive. If they are a contractor, they lease the car on a daily or weekly basis. The money they pay is a flat rate and is not dependent on how much business they had. So, if the meter says $20, all of that money is theirs. Once they make enough to pay the daily or weekly rate, plus gas, the rest is theirs.

The whole point of that is a tip should only be given for good service. If the vehicle is not clean or the service is bad do not feel like you have to pay any more than what the meter says. On the other hand, if the service is good, realize that most cab drivers work at least 12 hours a day 6 days a week. It was not uncommon for me to work 14 hours a day 7 days a week. So, a tip is always appreciated when it is deserved.

I guess you could file this under "The More You Know", as in the NBC public service announcements.