• "There's always my way"

Exclamation The Aging Plague of Universal Orlando

Being a frequent visitor to the Orlando area, I've tend to notice how many of the theme parks there have been plagued with aging. This is a case that occurs with all the theme parks in central Florida. I'm going to focus mainly here with Universal Orlando. One can't argue how it has really changed since openning day with the addition of the parking garage structures, the addition of CityWalk and Islands of Adventure. One could argue that Universal has displayed a series of innovations with these additions. But for a while now, I've noticed rides that have really aged a lot and they really need help.

Universal Studios:
    This park really needs to be expanded. Aside from the addition of Men In Black, the park hasn't really grown in size ever since it opened. It needs to be expanded and it could if they decide to use some of the lands surrounding between Men in Black and the old BTTF building. Thye also have unused land behind Fear Factor.

Back to the Future: Well, we could start mentioning that BTTF is gone to give some credit that Universal has paid attention to a ride that I thought was beginning to fall apart. All we need now is that new announcement of the replacement ride. Although, I could argue that they should've thought about updating the ride and keep it BTTF themed; but this could be another good discussion thread. Either way, Universal should've never allowed this ride to de-grade like that.

ET: This is the one ride that is showing that time has really passed. The ride smells old and looks old. The ride has looked the same since it openned. Although, this ride could be said to be almost a landmark of the park, it really needs to be replaced right away with something new.

Earthquake: I have to give credit to this ride because of how they have updated the pre-show by adding stuff to the video. But I believe last time I saw it 2 years ago, they were still showcasing U571. Ride needs to be updated with the preshow. It's really a neat display of how they do visual effects but it's starting to look old.

Twister: This needs to go and very soon! That's all I have to say about this disaster of a ride. It looks and feels old. This should have been added as an extension of the Earthquake attraction. (probably doesnt belong in this thread but I felt like adding this comment)

Islands of Adventure
    It is a very good technologically advanced theme park, but the park is starting to age and the park has remained the same since opening day. It's approaching it's 10th anniversary and the only addition has been Dr. Seus High in the Sky Troley. I'm glad that they are going to start using some of the unused land over by Jurassic Park and Lost Continent. They could have used this land a long time ago! I just hope they take some time and some of the budget to update rides and add new rides here in this park.

Poseidon's Fury: I have to say great show, cool special and visual effects. But that ending video of the ride needs to be changed. It's starting to look old. This attraction is in need of some improvements here and there.

Sinbad: This show sucks big time. It needs to go. Stunt shows lately are starting to seem bland and old. THis is one of them. I think I got spoiled with Lights Motor's Action Show at MGM Studios.

Jurassic Park: Well, the river adventure ride has received some attention so I must give credit to them here. But the openning doors at the beginning of the ride at times don't work. The same goes with some of the special effects. For someone that comes here a lot, it's very noticeable.
    How about the unused land that this area of the park has all over???

The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman: GREAT RIDE, I have nothing to say about the ride itself. I'm going to refer to the queue of this ride because it's starting to look old. The part with the cubicles. I don't know why they colored everything grey? It's starting to loose color and I've even noticed areas where the paint is chipping all lover. They need to post some attention here.

I hope that Universal Orlando puts into good use this budget they have. I also hope that I didn't sound as if I hate Universal, because in fact, I always enjoy visiting their parks and attend the special evens such as HHN. But one starts to notice these things. I mean, you are paying good dollar to come and visit here.

Bring on the comments. I really want to hear any thoughts or ideas.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Banned User

Re: The Aging Plague of Universal Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    Jurassic Park: Well, the river adventure ride has received some attention so I must give credit to them here. But the opening doors at the beginning of the ride at times don't work. The same goes with some of the special effects. For someone that comes here a lot, it's very noticeable.
    How about the unused land that this area of the park has all over???
    the doors sometimes doesn't work because they have to many rafts on the river for them to operate... the unused land near lost continent is earmarked for a new attraction with in the next 100 years no one knows what they plan to do with the old triceratops encounter land.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

theyre putting "the Simpsons" ride in place of BTTF....i dunno how i feel about this yet....i love the Simpsons, but BTTF was a classic!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Banned User

it's hard to do anything with earthquake without taking down the entire ride building so I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon.

• Pilot EdForceOne

One can't argue how it has really changed since openning day with the addition of the parking garage structures, the addition of CityWalk and Islands of Adventure. One could argue that Universal has displayed a series of innovations with these additions. But for a while now, I've noticed rides that have really aged a lot and they really need help.

Universal Studios:
    This park really needs to be expanded. Aside from the addition of Men In Black, the park hasn't really grown in size ever since it opened.
    Are you complaining about size or stale attractions?

Looking at the attraction list.. its changed a lot since I was last there (long time ago).. so obviously its changed a good bit since opening

Of the list of attractions on thier website
    # Shrek 4-DTM
    # Revenge of the MummySM
    # MEN IN BLACKTM Alien AttackTM
    # Terminator 2®:3D
    # E.T. Adventure®
    # Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon BlastTM
    # Animal Actors On Location!SM
    # Jaws®
    # FEAR FACTOR LIVE
    # TWISTER...Ride It Out®
    # Earthquake®
    # Live Shows
    # Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone®

Only ET, T2, Jaws, and Earthquake were there when I last went. So comments about not much change since opening may be a bit dramatic.

As for size.. well that's why they opened IOA. That effectivly was their expansion.

Universal is aging? By golly, I thought only we did that! Jokes aside, I have to ask... How exactly does E.T. "smell old?" You made several other complaints like this one that are either petty (especially considering the age of many Disney attractions) or just plain odd. I also find it hypocritical to mention how BTTF should have been updated rather than closed, but an attraction based on Universal's single most successful film needs to be replaced immediately? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

About the only thing I agree with you on is the closing of Twister, not because it "looks old" (such an ambiguous complaint), but because it's simply a bad attraction. Was from day 1.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 04-20-2007 at 10:28 PM.

• Banned User

Being a frequent visitor to the Orlando area, I've tend to notice how many of the theme parks there have been plagued with aging. This is a case that occurs with all the theme parks in central Florida.
    I totally agree. Orlando being the biggest theme park market on Earth, is the reason why this "aging" occurs. Both Universal and WDW management *know* them tourists will continue to show up, NO MATTER WHAT, so maintenance and upkeep is not something they feel is needed or something they know your average dumb tourist will complain about. Personally, if you want a better experience a la Universal Studios Fla, you have to go visit it's identical twin park in Osaka. That's where Universal shines in maintenance.

Furthermore.. I am more interested in you tackling WDW's aging problems like you have done in your excellent summary above. So amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Personally, if you want a better experience a la Universal Studios Fla, you have to go visit it's identical twin park in Osaka. That's where Universal shines in maintenance.
    USF looked like that eleven years ago, too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    USF looked like that eleven years ago, too.
    I remember.. I was there on opening day, when everything (but ET, Hitchcock, Ghostbusters, Hanna Barbera, Murder She Wrote, and Monster makeup show) failed to operate or be ready to operate as hoped. On the other hand, USJ has been opened for 6 yrs and still looks like it opened yesterday.. My point is.. Orlando theme parks are as good as their management teams want them to be. Budget cut are valued over expenditures because that is how these inept manament teams maximize their corporate bonuses...smiling all the way to the bank while ticket paying guests are left to ride attractions that are visibly falling apart.

Blog Entries

ET: This is the one ride that is showing that time has really passed. The ride smells old and looks old. The ride has looked the same since it openned. Although, this ride could be said to be almost a landmark of the park, it really needs to be replaced right away with something new.
    What are you talking about? That smell is supposed to be there. You're walking through the woods for Gods sake. It's supposed to have that musty scent. I just rode it a few weeks ago and yes, the manequin cops are awful and need to be replaced but it hardly looks old. When the fog effect is working (which it wasn't half the time I rode it recently) it still looks great. They just need to change the cops to a more impressive aa and change the whole ET talking thing to you.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Hasn't Orlando tourism kind of slipped? I figured that was part of the reason for the decline. Obviously WDW isn't closing entire resorts anymore like 2002, but they're still having problems using up their capacity (hasn't stopped them from adding to it, though.) Uni is kind of a microcosm of WDW's success, but since their whole battle plan hinges on "come for the mouse, and stay long enough to see what we're all about."

Ten years ago, Orlando was the star of America's tourism economy, outside of beaches anyway. Now all the celebrity and attention has focused out here instead. Theme Park Heaven will always have it's family business, but from the impression I've gotten Vegas has cut into every Central FL demographic that doesn't include children in tow, or of course people who are very close to FL.