Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• n/a

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

So yeah... I hope (for Universal's sake) that Harry Potter doesn't go the way of POGs.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

You know, I'm also applauding Universal's bold announcements. Remember when Disney was all about telling the guests what's coming years and years ahead? Walt Disney himself was a champion at this and stirred excitiement and optimism long before the attraction itself even began construction. What happened to that? Now it's all secrets and releasing no information until construction begins... and even that has been disappointing lately.

Universal just gave us a 1-2 punch this year. First it was the Simpsons announcement (okay it's just one ride but still... it's an announcement) and now Harry Potter. This is a huge step forward and everyone's going to know about this. When was the last time all your friends who don't follow Disney news knew what was going on at the theme parks? I've met people who live right here in southern california and never heard of California Adventure!

Anyway, this is all great stuff. I'm glad Universal is taking a bold initiative to take on the mouse. This is nothing but good. Florida is getting some huge attractions with Simpsons and Harry Potter in the next 3 years. What is Disney World getting? Toy Story Mania and a Pixar face lift at the Studios. That can't possibly be all.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The appeal of Harry Potter is not a flash in the pan. The fanchise is already 10 years old and the stories are timeless. Kids who read the books and are fans will take their kids to Harry Potter world just like parents now do at Disneyland.

disney should open the mythical land for animal kingdom...

•   

I really wanted Disney to get this in the beginning but now seeing the paintings and reading that article, I do feel that Universal understands how HUGE this can be and they won't screw it up. With JK involved, you know she won't let that happen (unless she knows nothing of theme parks) and everything will be designed by the guy that did the movie sets. You can't beat that!

I agree with those of you who think this is an all-around good thing...

I have been wanting to visit Universal Orlando for a few years now, and now that I'm planning on moving to Orlando next spring, I've got even more to look forward to (oh, and my sister the school librarian will come visit me more!).

Disney has finally gotten the proverbial kick in the rear they've been needing. I'm sure Universal will tie this in nicely to their on-property resorts...WDW is going to see shorter trips and likely less people staying on property. Even a small percentage of people migrating more to Universal (and let's be honest: this will not be "small") will really hit Disney hard. In short, they are going to have to do more than come up with another crappy marketing initiative and start producing unique, Disney-can-only-do-this experiences (and, um, I'm not referring to the "Too bad I didn't" Laugh Floor .
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

The biggest non-secret in the theme park world finally got announced ... and it will be very interesting to see how Disney handles this because, make no mistake about it, this is going to be huge for IOA/Uni.

This will pull people away from Disney's parks. Maybe only for a day or two, but we all know how much that will affect the bottom line.

And WDW MUST respond in a big way.

Rebranding Adventureland as Jack Sparrow Land (maybe toss some Black Pearl artifacts on the Treehouse and have piartes take over the Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room) ain't gonna cut it.

This is where the new WDI culture gets tested. We know they can design amazing attractions and lands and parks ... stuff that winds up on walls in Burbank, coffee table books and recycled Jim Hill columns. Now, we'll see what the new team can actually BUILD ... and it's going to have to be at the MK because that's the flagship ... that's the park everyone goes to ... and that's the park that is old, falling apart and stale.

Anybody else interested to see what Disney's response is?

I am really interested in seeing Disney's response to this. Rumours where that Disney was very desperate to get the rights to Potter, and not even build anything for years and just shelf the idea to stop Universal getting the deal. Well it's great to see that JK sided with Universal becuase this means it's a win win for all theme park fans.

Disney has to respond to this, Harry Potter is huge, no doubt about it. A re-brand of Disney Studios with a new star tours and indy ride aint going to be enough. Disney must of known before now that Universal has gotten the rights, but all they have announced this year is a rather lame sounding toy story ride and just an incrase in hotels....wow thats sure going to keep people on site. Well hotel fans have something to go to WDW for.

I just have to defend MK tho, it was the most visited park in the US so it has wide appeal. Yes, we Disney fans will pick and pick but it must be doing something right. I do agree it needs some attention tho...the thinking within in WDW managment is clearly that if the crowds come nothing is wrong..that needs to change.

• Directly directed

So does that mean you can get your picture taken with Harry Potter? Or Voldemort?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Man I was planning a trip to Disneyworld for the first time around 2009-2010 but with this opening its going to be a tough choice between Disneyworld and Universal.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    I am really interested in seeing Disney's response to this.
    I just really really hope they are not thinking "Hey Pirates are as big as Harry Potter we should use that!"
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Closed Account

OMG, this feels 8 years ago. When Disney was just rebranding and repeating the same crap in the parks, and then they had cold water and hot coffee thrown on them when IOA opened. Did anyone hear how Eisner secretly went to IOA and was BALLISTIC after he came off Spideran? Where do you think Rock n Roller Coaster, Mission Space and even the lame TS Mania came from.

This is also openign at the most PERFECT time. Because between now and '09-'10 WDW is going to be opening ONLY Toy Story Mania and selling off land to 3rd party hotels. Its going to be bigger than when IOA opened. Families will finally be FORCED to take thier kids flying w/ Harry Potter or seeing Mickey. I see at LEAST one to 2 days being shaved off a WDW vacation. This is also going to make MK look MORE stale and irrelevant than it is especially after the Subs reopen.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Man I was planning a trip to Disneyworld for the first time around 2009-2010 but with this opening its going to be a tough choice between Disneyworld and Universal.

Do both. If you schedule well, you can go during the off season and during the week. Disney World will be empty and you'll be able to do everything you want. You're down there, might as well fork the extra money and go to IoA too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion FOREVER!

Well, this has been strongly rumored for a while now (8 months? )... I'm not convinced
    that this alone is enough for Universal (which lost money last year).

Also although the concept are looks good, what eventually gets delivered could be
    completely different. The actual draw will be based on what actually gets built.

Case in point, DCA concept art (although flawed IMHO) looked decent/good.

Either way, if it prompts WDC to action, it can't be bad.

Hello, here is some additionnal infos from the orlando sentinel:

Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

The new, "seventh island" would feature reconstructed and rethemed attractions, and all-new ones, Scott Trowbridge, vice president of Universal's Creative Studios, said in an interview. The Hogwarts castle and locations from Rowling's Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village will be created as backdrops to attractions, shops and restaurants.

Three-time Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who designed sets for all the Harry Potter movies, leads the "Wizarding World" design team.

Much of "The Lost Continent" island, including Universal's award-winning Mythos Restaurant, will be retained as a separate themed area, just smaller. The island is to remain open during construction as well.

Some current "Lost Continent" attractions such as The Dueling Dragons roller coasters and The Flying Unicorn coaster ride likely would be adapted to fit the Harry Potter story. Trowbridge would not discuss specific attractions, but did say that Universal intended to "leverage some existing infrastructure." He said that would have to include far more than a new paint job and a new sign, because too much is at stake.

Davis agreed, noting that the large, dedicated fan base that Universal hopes to capture could turn on the resort if fans conclude Universal cheapened the Harry Potter concept.

"We do have a responsibility to all the fans that are out there in the world that have followed the Harry Potter saga through the films and the books," Davis said. "We're taking that very, very seriously. We're going to be true to the books and the films, and make sure that when people come here they're going to be very, very happy with what they see."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast