Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• time to go

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Anybody else interested to see what Disney's response is?
    HELL YES!

I'm with you 110%. Disney is in no position to dick around with their Orlando parks anymore. Uni is stepping up to the challenge. Potter at IoA will definitely give WDW a run for its money. Even if Orlando visitors only spend one day at Uni during their Disney vacations, as you've pointed out, that's gonna hurt Mickey's money guys like a kick to the groin.

It's time for John Lasseter to sit down with Bruce and Craig and clear the accountaneering smog out of blue sky. Time to bring those "must ride" concepts out of mothballs and revitalize them for the 21st century.

Rides like Everest are a good start, but the ante just got upped. More elaborate and immersive experiences are needed. Absolutely.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

I also agree that Disney now has to step up big with WDW. Now would be a great time for Lasseter to spread some of the TLC he gave to the Anaheim parks over to Orlando.

It has been noted before that Disney has access to three of the biggest movie franchises in the world for its parks -- Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Pirates, with another potential big franchise with Narnia.

I'm not saying those franchises should be the instant cure that WDI turns to for a quick fix, but it gives them some properties to play with.

Movie sequels for Indy and Narnia are due next summer, why hasn't Disney greenlit big projects for each somewhere in WDW? I'm sure there are issues to be resolved with Lucasfilm and Walden Media, respectively, but they should be pushing this hard.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I can almost see Lasseter with a smile on his face seeing this as a perfect opportunity to do some amazing things.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I can almost see Lasseter with a smile on his face seeing this as a perfect opportunity to do some amazing things.
    I think you're right!

Hey Disney, don't go cheap on this "challenge"! Spend the money, use your talent, push the envelope, make something we've never even imagined, hire me, show em what's up!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Me too.

I've been feeling good about the direction of TWDC and WDI over the past months, while friends looked at me like I had just grown a tail (hey, I've always had it, I'm just not hiding it anymore!).

Jon-Benet Castle boutiques and free fastpasses and make you own plastic jedi swords just won't cut it ... I KNOW John Lasseter realizes this, and I believe Bob Iger is finally wise to it as well.

WDW, with the exception of DAK and some great improvements to Epcot and some resorts, has gotten so very stale.

You can't keep serving the same bread with a different condiment on it when the competition is building new bakeries.

I'm starting to, at long last, see some hope for WDW ...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

WDW1974, do you really think people would opt to miss a day(s) at "Disneyworld park"? It seems to me like the Studios and Animal Kingdom are the more likely to be cut for a trip.

I'm still not sure Disney should try to play catch up. I said this in another thread, but I believe Disney is best when Disney acts like [Walt] Disney.

• Banned User

The biggest non-secret in the theme park world finally got announced ... and it will be very interesting to see how Disney handles this because, make no mistake about it, this is going to be huge for IOA/Uni.

This will pull people away from Disney's parks. Maybe only for a day or two, but we all know how much that will affect the bottom line.

And WDW MUST respond in a big way.

Rebranding Adventureland as Jack Sparrow Land (maybe toss some Black Pearl artifacts on the Treehouse and have piartes take over the Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room) ain't gonna cut it.

This is where the new WDI culture gets tested. We know they can design amazing attractions and lands and parks ... stuff that winds up on walls in Burbank, coffee table books and recycled Jim Hill columns. Now, we'll see what the new team can actually BUILD ... and it's going to have to be at the MK because that's the flagship ... that's the park everyone goes to ... and that's the park that is old, falling apart and stale.

Who needs Harry Potter & his fantasy kingdom when Disney has Jay Rasolu and the Year of a Million Dreams. I think audiances are smart enough to know where the real fun is at. The thrill of a chance to win a free churro or be a drummer in a marching band is far more exciting than exploring a castle, or boarding a harry potter eticket, or walking through an enchanted forsest.

Jay Rasolu/YoAMD > Harry Potter/Wonderful Wizardy World

*Sarcasm on to the max*

• Banned User

Pixar rides just dont cut it anymore.

The only solution is to build a Lucasland with several Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions. As well some new original attractions (BEASTLY KINGDOM PLEASE GOD!) and maybe something with NARNIA!

At this point, anything less would be an insult to tourists and theme park afficinados. Universal is building a Harry Potter "park within a park", building a new Simpsons attraction, and Halloween Horror Nights in orlando gets bigger and better every year. If Disney doesn't step up to the plate my money now belongs to Universal. Im sick and tired of going to Disney World just for the privalege of cringing when I see the ugly wand on Spaceship Earth and hear the terrible dialogue of Stitch's great escape and monsters inc laugh floor.

Another thing interesting to note is that Universal Creative (their version of Imagineering) can do more with less. Since they don't have a bloated corporate structure and self serving Vice Presidents..Universal can build rides E-tickets for half the cost Disney does. I think I remember hearing that the stupid monsters inc. ride at DCA costed almost as much as The Mummy ride at both USH and USF! Now imagine what there gonna do with a big budget for harry potter. They will pinch every penny to ensure it goes into eleborate themeing and a better experince for the guests. The cake only gets sweeter with J.K.Rowling supervising the project.

With IOA...Universal gave Disney a push and made it clear they wanted to compete...with Harry Potter and the recent reinvesting into the parks...Universal just punched Disney in the face HARD.
    Last edited by Ghostbuster626; 05-31-2007 at 02:19 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yes. This is good news because this is huge. SeaWorld is reportedly looking at its own steel beast for 2009. Disney is going to need a big e-ticket somewhere in Florida to counter this. This is a big new advancement in the theme park arms race...and should only mean good for every fan.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Also although the concept are looks good, what eventually gets delivered could be
    completely different. The actual draw will be based on what actually gets built.
    Excellent point...that is my fear as well.

And for those wondering where this is...look at the main concept art. You can clearly see DD's castle with some Quidditch tents in front of it, as well as the bridge coming into LC from JP and if you look right infront of Hogwarts that has to be the Flying Unicorn. I'd bet big on Hogwarts being in the plot of land between JP and FU.
    Plus look at the bridge that spans the walkway with the arrangement of the buildings...everything fits to the Arabian and Fantasy areas of LC already there. Only the Posiedon/Mythos area looks excluded.

Eisner secretly went to IOA and was BALLISTIC after he came off Spideran? Where do you think Rock n Roller Coaster, Mission Space and even the lame TS Mania came from.
    That is so funny! I can just imagine hime doing that...what does he epxect? He fired a whole bunch of imagineers who then got hired by Universal creative to create one of the best Orlando theme parks while at the same time he cut a huge chunck out of the AK budget to create one of the most underwhelming Orlando parks (at the time of opening)!

Also although the concept are looks good, what eventually gets delivered could be
    completely different. The actual draw will be based on what actually gets built
    I would not worry, JK is overly protective of her creation. It's one of the main reasons why it went to Uni instead of Disney. Disney was pushing her in the wrong direction at the time of wooing her. JK would not concent to something that would tarnish the potter universe, anyone who knows anything about JK knows this.

• Banned User

J.K.Rowling is as protective over her creation as George Lucas and John Lasseter are over their respected properties.

There is a reason Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure were above and beyond any other attraction that existed at the time of their openings and why they won't approve Star Tours 2 because Lucas wants a very expensive upgrade to the attraction to make it the very best it could possibly be. It is because Lucas wants the very best treatment for his attractions.

Same goes for Lasseter, he shut down Disney's version of Toy Story 3 and 4 and is personally supervising the Nemo Submarine Voyage and Toy Story Mania.

All three of these people Lasseter, Lucas, and Rowling follow in Walt Disney's footsteps of striving for excellence and creating a quality product that entertains audiances for generations.

J.K.Rowling is as protective over her creation as George Lucas and John Lasseter are over their respected properties.

There is a reason Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure were above and beyond any other attraction that existed at the time of their openings and why they won't approve Star Tours 2 because Lucas wants a very expensive upgrade to the attraction to make it the very best it could possibly be. It is because Lucas wants the very best treatment for his attractions.

Same goes for Lasseter, he shut down Disney's version of Toy Story 3 and 4 and is personally supervising the Nemo Submarine Voyage and Toy Story Mania.

All three of these people Lasseter, Lucas, and Rowling follow in Walt Disney's footsteps of striving for excellence and creating a quality product that entertains audiances for generations.
    Exactly. Potter will look very much like it's concept art. It has to, otherwise Universal with have JK on their backs. You upset JK you upset the fans not a good move.

I was just thinking. WDI must of know about this for a while now, no? It does not take a genious to work out that if your company looses the bidding war then the other company, obvisouly they knew it was NBC Universal, has won it.

Are the recent changes at WDI the first sign that something is happening within WDI to counter this? Seems strange that a week before Uni went public with their Theme Park Nuke, some major changes happend at WDI?

Anyone else agree?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    I was just thinking. WDI must of know about this for a while now, no? It does not take a genious to work out that if your company looses the bidding war then the other company, obvisouly they knew it was NBC Universal, has won it.

Are the recent changes at WDI the first sign that something is happening within WDI to counter this? Seems strange that a week before Uni went public with their Theme Park Nuke, some major changes happend at WDI?

Anyone else agree?
    Something is going on behind the scenes thats for sure....

I just want to see some real theme park action from Lasseter.

At the 2006 Annual Shareholder Meeting Lasseter promised that he would build rides so good "that once the ride is over and you disembark you will want to immediatly run back into the queue to ride it again". Im not gonna hold the Subs against him if they suck but from Toy Story Mania onward I expect nothing less than the best from Disney. This Harry Potter land is going to be grand on a Tokyo Disneysea level.

Lasseter is going to have to do some research at the WDI archieves on projects like Discovery Bay, Tomorrowland 2055, Beastly Kingdomme, Bald/Villian Mountain, Fire Mountain, Project:Gemini, Western River Expedition, etc. Disney will need attractions of THIS calibur if they hope to lure muggles away from Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Something is going on behind the scenes thats for sure....

I just want to see some real theme park action from Lasseter.

At the 2006 Annual Shareholder Meeting Lasseter promised that he would build rides so good "that once the ride is over and you disembark you will want to immediatly run back into the queue to ride it again". Im not gonna hold the Subs against him if they suck but from Toy Story Mania onward I expect nothing less than the best from Disney. This Harry Potter land is going to be grand on a Tokyo Disneysea level.

Lasseter is going to have to do some research at the WDI archieves on projects like Discovery Bay, Tomorrowland 2055, Beastly Kingdomme, Bald/Villian Mountain, Fire Mountain, Project:Gemini, Western River Expedition, etc. Disney will need attractions of THIS calibur if they hope to lure muggles away from Harry Potter.
    Well, the only Disney rides that I have done that on are Journey To the Centre of the Earth and Indy Jones Adventure at DisneySea, EE at Animal Kingdom, TT at MGM and Spalsh Mountain. Attractions that have left me cold are already well documented, Stich ect.

Could be an exciting couple of years if Jay Ruslo? dont go overboard with these Downtown and Hotel Concepts for major ciities.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast