Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    So does that mean you can get your picture taken with Harry Potter? Or Voldemort?
    An article I read (sorry if this was said up above) said there'd be no walk around characters.

There were a bunch of IMs and e-mails flying around about this at work today and it made me giggle - it was posted here on MC awhile ago and I thought it WAS confirmed then, so I didn't even realize that this was such a huge deal! i'm happy - I hope they do it justice!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Not only does concept art not convey reality, Universal has too often gone cheap and ended up with a shell of a concept. Universal has given me no reason to have faith in this project. I will be shocked if it actually is quality.

But I do hope Disney gets with some impressive projects of their own too.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan View Post
    Not only does concept art not convey reality, Universal has too often gone cheap and ended up with a shell of a concept. Universal has given me no reason to have faith in this project. I will be shocked if it actually is quality.
    That is not true. IOA at Universal is one of the best Theme Parks on the planet. If you need proof of a company producing theme parks on the cheap just look at DCA, Walt Disney Studios in Paris.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Ah, but have you read the news releases? I thought the same as you but every which way you read, they clearly say that this is going to be SECOND TO NONE. That's some fighting words at Disney if I've ever seen it. JK Rowlings is actually MORE protective than Lucas and Lasseter is in my opinion and that can only mean the very best is coming our way.

I think Disney's bid for Potter may have been short sighted. They were probaby pitching a ride or two and a few surrounding elements. Universal probably put their creative team in making EVERYTHING else too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Ah, but have you read the news releases? I thought the same as you but every which way you read, they clearly say that this is going to be SECOND TO NONE.
    Well what do you expect them to say? I really can not picture them, or any park, saying anything less. And I am not going to get excited over concept art because the final product will prob be very different.

Anyway - I am only excited about this because Disney did NOT get HP. I am not a big HP fan - heck I am not even a small HP fan but there is no way HP would fit or belong in a Disney park. Good for Universal at landing something that will fit well with thier target audience.

I also disagree with the people saying that you will now have to do one or the other and this will hurt WDW. Ya, some Disney vacations may have time cut off Disney and add to Universal but so what? I bet you HP will draw people to Orlando that would not have come to Orlando otherwise and those people will go visit WDW for a day or two just to make the trip more complete. I think for the most part things will even out for the most part and I am ok with that.

And yes, I hope WDW really steps up some wild and huge ideas that will make thier parks even better than they are now. The thought of WDW getting even better does make me happy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    That is not true. IOA at Universal is one of the best Theme Parks on the planet. If you need proof of a company producing theme parks on the cheap just look at DCA, Walt Disney Studios in Paris.
    yea I would say IOA is easily on par with Disney-MGM Studios...except that IOA actually has fun rides like Spider-man, Popeye, Cat in the hat, and Jurassic Park Island (although its a shell of its former self). Mythos is a pretty tasty reasturant too. Far superior to most recent disney fare.

Everyone knows that Disney has done it all it can to keep people on site, Magical express ect

Like many people have already said, if Eisner was still in power we could expect a counter move. Iger is a more measured man in response to competiton so I dont think we will get one people are wanting.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Like many people have already said, if Eisner was still in power we could expect a counter move. Iger is a more measured man in response to competiton so I dont think we will get one people are wanting.

I think this is a good thing about Iger. Smart, well timed releases and well planned additions are what we want. Too many quick fixes in the past decade already.

HP in universal does help WDW too. People that make the trip to IoA will probably figure out a way to see Disney as well. Disney just needs something new to lure them in and give them a more lasting impression.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Proof is in the pudding...

Which theme parks in FL are giving days away for paying for a ticket? Universal is not as bad as Six Flags in trying to keep people returning, but is not too far behind. Disney is still able to demand better ticket prices.

HP will steal a day away from many Disney vacations when its new.. but IOA hasn't made UO pull away, and I don't think this will either.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'm still not sure Disney should try to play catch up. I said this in another thread, but I believe Disney is best when Disney acts like [Walt] Disney.
    Walt was very aware at what was going on in Knott's Berry Farm, as a for instance. Some in the company felt that POTC had to beat the Mine Train at KBF (which it clearly did).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Walt was very aware at what was going on in Knott's Berry Farm, as a for instance. Some in the company felt that POTC had to beat the Mine Train at KBF (which it clearly did).

A bientot.
    I'm not very familiar with the Mine Train at Knott's so I cannot comment. What I don't like is the there is a studios park opening, so Disney opens a studio park; there are popular animal parks, so Disney builds an animal park; there's a new fantasy land and Disney builds a fantasy land. Sure build something to compete, but recognize that Harry Potter fans are going to go irregardless of a Narnia or Star Wars land. The ideal I see is to get people to not want to skip any of the Disney parks when they want to go see Harry (but not necessarily the rest of the Universal Orlando Resort). Get people to see all four parks, and then spend an extra night because they still want to hit Islands of Adventure for one day.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

That's actually a good point that I hadn't really considered. Iger doesn't seem the type to do a knee-jerk counter-move. And if it were announced next month that Disney was building "Star Wars Land" (or some such) it would clearly be regarded as a "me too" response to the World of Harry Potter.

I kinda think Iger (and Lasseter) will be much more concerned with just enhancing the overall quality of the parks, including new attractions but maybe not a radical or dramatic new addition.

With MK, I think just focusing on quality would be more than sufficient. Refurbishing Space Mountain and making it "new" again, enhancing the Jungle Cruise and some of the other neglected, classic attractions, would by itself make the park fresh again. A new E-ticket in the old lagoon area would be nice but I don't think it is required right away.

I would genuinely like to see Star Wars, Indy, and Narnia expanded at Disney-MGM. Hopefully they won't be devoting all their free space at that park to Pixar add-ons.

And lets be honest, Harry Potter is not a magic bullet for Universal. Spiderman, Shrek, Jurassic Park, and T2 were/are all huge franchises, but they have not been enough to lift Universal up to the same level as Disney. By the same token, I think HP may have a more limited appeal to families then people think.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    WDW1974, do you really think people would opt to miss a day(s) at "Disneyworld park"? It seems to me like the Studios and Animal Kingdom are the more likely to be cut for a trip.

I'm still not sure Disney should try to play catch up. I said this in another thread, but I believe Disney is best when Disney acts like [Walt] Disney.
    I do think many people will wind up cutting a day or two off their Disney stays ... and that may be conservative as Uni is known for offering ticket specials that could encourage more visits.

I truly believe this area will attract throngs of Disney guests ... the kind who have never gone to Uni before, not the folks who already have been and/or continue to spend a day or two there on their vacations. Nope. These are those guests who are so blinded by pixie dust they would rather pay $40 for lousy Disney fast food rather than drive to 192 or 535 and spend $15 instead. They don't leave WDW property.

That's why again this is so huge. Because their kiddies and maybe even their own affection for the HP properties are going to push them off-property and that's when they may see there are so many other options for dining, shopping and (even worse for the Mouse) accomodations ... this has the potential to hurt Disney like nothing else in recent memory.

As to Disney being best when it acts like '[Walt] Disney' all I can say is that's not what the company has done since the mid-90s. They've stopped being inovators and leaders and they've become followers and, worse, word has gotten out about their greed and their WalMarting ways.

Things are starting to get fun in the Orlando park business again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    J.K.Rowling is as protective over her creation as George Lucas and John Lasseter are over their respected properties.

There is a reason Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure were above and beyond any other attraction that existed at the time of their openings and why they won't approve Star Tours 2 because Lucas wants a very expensive upgrade to the attraction to make it the very best it could possibly be. It is because Lucas wants the very best treatment for his attractions.

Same goes for Lasseter, he shut down Disney's version of Toy Story 3 and 4 and is personally supervising the Nemo Submarine Voyage and Toy Story Mania.

All three of these people Lasseter, Lucas, and Rowling follow in Walt Disney's footsteps of striving for excellence and creating a quality product that entertains audiances for generations.
    Absolutely great point ... and true on all counts.

I would expect Lasseter wants to try and get a better relationship with Lucas, but I'm wondering if the 'fresh' date on Star Tours may be up period,.

Let's also not forget that Indy 4 is coming out next summer ... sure would be great to see a new Indy attraction replace the old stunt show while it is fresh.

Let's not forget how Eisner killed Roger Rabbit and almost killed the Muppets.

It's very easy for the public to lose affection/interest in characters/properties.

Look at Pooh ... for a decade he was leading sales for consumer products, but all of a sudden princesses became hot and then PoC ... and suddenly Pooh ain't such a big deal anymore.

If you think Universal has too ofte gone cheap, I'd love to know what you think of WDW's recent efforts.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast