Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    That is not true. IOA at Universal is one of the best Theme Parks on the planet. If you need proof of a company producing theme parks on the cheap just look at DCA, Walt Disney Studios in Paris.
    There is no cheaper theme park on the planet (by a major company) than DSP.

There literally is no there, there.

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    That's actually a good point that I hadn't really considered. Iger doesn't seem the type to do a knee-jerk counter-move. And if it were announced next month that Disney was building "Star Wars Land" (or some such) it would clearly be regarded as a "me too" response to the World of Harry Potter.

I kinda think Iger (and Lasseter) will be much more concerned with just enhancing the overall quality of the parks, including new attractions but maybe not a radical or dramatic new addition.

With MK, I think just focusing on quality would be more than sufficient. Refurbishing Space Mountain and making it "new" again, enhancing the Jungle Cruise and some of the other neglected, classic attractions, would by itself make the park fresh again. A new E-ticket in the old lagoon area would be nice but I don't think it is required right away.

I would genuinely like to see Star Wars, Indy, and Narnia expanded at Disney-MGM. Hopefully they won't be devoting all their free space at that park to Pixar add-ons.

And lets be honest, Harry Potter is not a magic bullet for Universal. Spiderman, Shrek, Jurassic Park, and T2 were/are all huge franchises, but they have not been enough to lift Universal up to the same level as Disney. By the same token, I think HP may have a more limited appeal to families then people think.
    While Bob isn't likely to make an emotional decision a la Eisner, to assume he'll just sit back would be incorrect.

And while I'd love to see Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain made fun and relevant again for 21st century audiences, the MK needs a helluva lot more than decades due rehabs to enhance a very stale product.

As to Harry Potter, you are severely underestimating the appeal of the franchise ... severely ... wait and see.

There's a reason why Disney was engaged in a bidding war itself for these characters.

Hogwarts isn't Arnold or the very tired JP dinos gone amuck series or even Shrek, which frankly could likely do more for Uni if it had more than a 3D film.

Like I said, wait and see ...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    That's why again this is so huge. Because their kiddies and maybe even their own affection for the HP properties are going to push them off-property and that's when they may see there are so many other options for dining, shopping and (even worse for the Mouse) accomodations ... this has the potential to hurt Disney like nothing else in recent memory.
    This is exactly what I think Disney needs to brace itself for. The entire Disney experience needs a major upgrade, with little effect on costs and some copy cat attractions just won't cut it. Too bad some dumb accountant will probably get the guess wrong and insist if they built, they will come.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    I can't think of a single bad thing about this. My favorite non-Disney park gets better, Disney gets a stern wake up call, and themepark design in general makes another step forward.
    I agree with Kevin Yee; it's time Disney gives Star Wars or Indiana Jones some real real estate.
    If a more immersive, expansive and detailed Star Wars 2.0 isn't in the cards yet, it better be after this.
    I totally agree. For the momment, it appears as though Darth Potter is giving Disney a run for it's money.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I would expect Lasseter wants to try and get a better relationship with Lucas, but I'm wondering if the 'fresh' date on Star Tours may be up period.

No need to get a better relationship with Lucas because that was done as soon as Eisner walked out the door.

Don't worry about an update on Star Tours. Imagineering is already working on various ideas and concepts.. the likes that NOBODY has seen in a theme park yet. Lucas is on board. Disney is on board. WHEN is the big question. Right now the ride still has a good solid wait time throughout the day. The key is trying to convince finance that this is a necessary update.

So if you want a new Star Tours, stop riding and tell everyone else to do the same.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

For those who were wondering how this might fall into the Lost Continent ... I made a map of what I think will take place using Live Local and Universal's concept art.

I loaded the image on another computer so I don't have it handy but it's on NewsPlusNotes here.

The one thing that is being tossed around is the idea that the train that can be seen at the entrance to the land will take visitors to a ride / attraction that will be placed behind Dueling Dragons in a current employee parking lot.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

While Bob isn't likely to make an emotional decision a la Eisner, to assume he'll just sit back would be incorrect.
    Well, I didn't mean to suggest he would do nothing, just that it wouldn't be a tit-for-tat, keep up with the neighbors kind of decision.

And while I'd love to see Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain made fun and relevant again for 21st century audiences, the MK needs a helluva lot more than decades due rehabs to enhance a very stale product.
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd like to see them update/re-do Space Mountain before they build a new E-ticket in MK. It shouldn't be an either/or decision but it probably is one in reality.

As to Harry Potter, you are severely underestimating the appeal of the franchise ... severely ... wait and see.
    It's popular, no question, and it will have an impact, no question, but after the first year or so that it's open I'm not sure how much of a "game changer" it will be. It's not even a whole park. It's just one "land" inside the park. The books, yes, are a huge phenomenon, but the movies? They are big hits, but they are not record breaking hits. Only the first movie even grossed over $300 million, nevermind the $400 million that Pirates, Spidey, and Shrek have all done. Let's see how HP5 does this summer, especially with the benefit of the new book coming out at the same time.

Hogwarts isn't Arnold or the very tired JP dinos gone amuck series or even Shrek, which frankly could likely do more for Uni if it had more than a 3D film.
    Jurassic Park is tired now, but in the 90s it was one of the biggest movies of all time. And at that time, Universal was unable to leverage it to compete successfully with Disney. That was my point.

Let's also not forget that Indy 4 is coming out next summer ... sure would be great to see a new Indy attraction replace the old stunt show while it is fresh.
    We completely agree here. I posted that earlier. Unfortunately, even if they greenlit a new attraction today, I doubt it would be ready to open in time for the movie. Same with Narnia, with Prince Caspian coming out next summer too. It's a real lost opportunity.
    Last edited by Doopey1; 06-01-2007 at 05:37 AM.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by MJHammer1 View Post
    The one thing that is being tossed around is the idea that the train that can be seen at the entrance to the land will take visitors to a ride / attraction that will be placed behind Dueling Dragons in a current employee parking lot.
    I believe it's just set dressing, not an actual attraction.

In fact, the instant I spotted the Hogwarts Express engine in the concept art, I thought, "Oh... so that's what they're going to do with Doc Brown's train over at BTTF in the Studios!"

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

I agree with you BlueSkyDriveBy, my gut feeling is that the train and the wall/tunnel behind it is actually just needed to block the track of Dueling Dragons that will be right back there.

I think that the whole premise of using that parking lot for this land started because the Orlando Sentinal article mentioned that an employee parking area would be used.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

• Pilot EdForceOne

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd like to see them update/re-do Space Mountain before they build a new E-ticket in MK. It shouldn't be an either/or decision but it probably is one in reality.
    Personally I think SM is fine except for normal upkeep/update type of things. It doesn't need a major change IMO. The fact we still have the glowing cars vs other incarnations is enough for me to want no real RS change

It's popular, no question, and it will have an impact, no question, but after the first year or so that it's open I'm not sure how much of a "game changer" it will be. It's not even a whole park. It's just one "land" inside the park.
    Except it doesn't need to be the whole park. The park itself is excellent as it is. It's just always overshadowed by Disney and struggles to get new people in the gates with Disney's constant 'tourist monopoly' strategies that are so effective. A new land such with such a hot and lively theme is (they hope) just the thing to tip the scale to get someone to go check out IOA/USF. Once they do, they are pretty confident they have an attraction worth visiting. Their big issue is getting people to give them a chance.

The books, yes, are a huge phenomenon, but the movies? They are big hits, but they are not record breaking hits. Only the first movie even grossed over $300 million, nevermind the $400 million that Pirates, Spidey, and Shrek have all done. Let's see how HP5 does this summer, especially with the benefit of the new book coming out at the same time.
    But the HP universe is more then just about boxoffice #s. It was a monster before the first movie was ever made. Since then, add merchandising to the mix as well.. things neither T2 or Shrek have anything like. Plus, the HP has a healthy pipeline of material yet to be released.. both books and movies. HP is much more akin to a 'star wars' in terms of franchise compared to Shrek or Pirates.

Jurassic Park is tired now, but in the 90s it was one of the biggest movies of all time. And at that time, Universal was unable to leverage it to compete successfully with Disney. That was my point.
    But they were mainly only a great movie and some sequels. Crichton's books were popular, but don't have nearly the mass audience HP does. HP books are read by young and old alike. It's also got a ton more titles. It has massive merchandising, it has a pipeline of material... it has a whole 'universe' to build off of. HP has a whole alternate world to pull from and play with. JP was one story - bringing back dino DNA and seeing what Dino-Damage can be done.

I don't think they are even on the same scale. Its more like a 'star wars' or landing the marvel franchise. But unlike Marvel, it should be more exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    I just really really hope they are not thinking "Hey Pirates are as big as Harry Potter we should use that!"
    I am sooooo sick of pirates this and pirates that. I love the ride and enjoyed the movies but no more pirates in the parks please!

I am really excited about this park! I still haven't been to IOA, and I will definitely go every time I go to Florida once this opens. An immersing Harry Potter world experience would give Universal the timeless feel it definitely needs.

Disney: true inspiration!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You just might be the only one... I would hope they add a new E-Ticket before shutting one down for a long period just to redo it. MK is lacking rides as it is... well... compared to Anaheim anyway. Either way, folks are flying in from a far, closing Space Mountain and opening nothing else up would be asking to be pooped on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    But the HP universe is more then just about boxoffice #s. It was a monster before the first movie was ever made. Since then, add merchandising to the mix as well.. things neither T2 or Shrek have anything like. Plus, the HP has a healthy pipeline of material yet to be released.. both books and movies. HP is much more akin to a 'star wars' in terms of franchise compared to Shrek or Pirates.
    I dunno, the merchandising for Shrek this summer certainly rivals anything done for Spidey, Harry Potter, Pirates, or any of the other big franchises. It is certainly Katzenberg's intention that Shrek will go on and on (2 more movies, one spin-off movie, a Christmas special, etc.).

But you make an interesting point comparing HP to Star Wars. The last book comes out this summer. After this summer, there will only be two more movies. What happens next? To what extent will Rowling allow the growth of an "expanded universe" the way Lucas did with Star Wars? Lucas was uncanny in his ability to keep Star Wars alive for the last 30 years, especially the gap between new theatrical films from 1983 and 1999.

The deal with Uni is obviously Rowling's first big step to propel Harry Potter beyond book seven, but what else? Since HP is first and foremost a literary property, will she allow spin-off books that would dillute the strength of the originals? Will there be spin-off movies or cartoons? If she rests on the strength of the existing books and movies alone, that's only going to get her so far. I'm genuinely interested to see what happens to the Harry Potter franchsie next.
    --John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You just might be the only one....
    Ha! I guess I'll have to go sit in the corner by myself on that one.
    --John Lasseter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast