Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

First, my only fear about the populatiry of the Potter franchise is that it may weaken immensly once the final book is out. It is a lot easier to stay interested in a mystery than a story.

Second, I can't think of anything that Disney can really do to counter this that will not look like a blatent grab for attention. There are things they can do to improve word of mouth, like fixing up old attractions and improving general maintainence, but new lands would be a bit to blatent. An E-ticket or two could be reasonable. Most important I think, is that they just recognize the lost demographic and try to recapture it in a different way.

Third, and last, does anyone have footage/pics from the que for Dueling Dragons? I've heard great things, and want to see it, but lack funds.

Now for the rampant speculation and answerless questions:

You can clearly see DD's castle with some Quidditch tents in front of it, as well as the bridge coming into LC from JP and if you look right infront of Hogwarts that has to be the Flying Unicorn.
    Are you refering to the large red and white tents on the other side of the unicorn? If so, I think that is the rethemed Dueling Dragons show building. Guessing by the tents, it looks like it will be rethemed as either a quidditch match, or the chase between harry and the dragon from the tri-wizard tournement with the tents being the tent the compettitors prepared in. (Personally, I Hope for the latter. Dragons are fun and having just two characters, as opposed to a whole quidditch team, seems to make sense. Heck, could just add a "the" and drop the "s" and be done with it. Dueling the Dragon, I like it.)

I'd bet big on Hogwarts being in the plot of land between JP and FU.
    Fully agree, what is in it though? I don't want them wasting space that could better be used for a e-ticket attraction, but I would love to be able to eat in the great hall. Although they could turn it into a whole experience with duels and such. It could also be rethemed throughout the year as per the books. Sorry, off on a tangent.

Can anyone tell how they are theming the Flying Unicorn? Is there enough room for a Gringots coaster? Looking at the poster agian, is there a Gringots? Would be odd if they didn't include it. Could the Hogwarts express be a front for a motion sim ride? (Flying car?) Is Knockturn Alley under the owl?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Read Jim Hill's article from today. It's actually dead on for some of the Potter stuff.

Totally wrong on the Disney stuff though. lol
    -Bill

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Read Jim Hill's article from today. It's actually dead on for some of the Potter stuff.

Totally wrong on the Disney stuff though. lol
    So is there only going to be one new Potter attraction? (The flying car ride?) What about Hogwarts Castle and the forbidden forest...no attractions at those locations?

Jim hill has lost some of his credibility (some may argue he has never had any) when Potter went to Universal becuase he stated around a year ago that Disney already had the rights. Now he is saying that Adventureland will turn into Pirate Land with the Indy Type coaster (very lame ride) from DLP.

If you're thinking about Disney's response in Orlando consider this...

The guy responsible for new projects for the domestic parks is Tom Fitzgerald. The guy that brought you such classics as Seasons of the Vine, Golden Dreams, SuperStar Limo, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Journey into YOUR Imagination, the Astuter Computer Review, Tiki Room Under New Management, Stitch's Great Escape, Sounds Dangerous and Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris.

And now that Bruce and Craig have relieved Tom of his Asia projects and John Lasseter is focused on Anahiem, Tom will be able to put all his creative brilliance into Florida.

Harry Potter was Disney's to loose. You can thank Jay Rasulo and Tom Fitzgerald for loosing it.

Anyone out there a Disney stockholder?
    Last edited by Mr. Eggz; 06-02-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo

Reports are that Iger pulled the pull on JK actually. At the same time Iger was in the process of purchasing Pixar and could not do potter at the same time, this is one of the many reasons why Iger pulled out of the Potter war. Disney was also going to base their fifth gate on potter so I am glad it has gone to Universal.

That's according to Jim Hil.

• Minion

If WDW has some great response to Potter, that's awesome, but I certainly don't think it's a given. There were the same high hopes when IOA first opened, but the new park didn't draw the crowds that were expected, so Eisner and company just snickered and continued business as usual.
    Last edited by tasman; 06-02-2007 at 08:28 PM.

• ...TWO BITS!

Just because Jim Hill writes an article about what COULD be happening in the minds of WDI and Disney doesn't mean they will always come to reality. He stated very clearly in the beginning that Pirateland is basically bluesky from a couple Imagineers.

I don't understand why many of you complain that Disney should have grabbed Potter. Basically the only outside source material Disney has their hands on is Lucas. I think Potter fits more with Universal anyways. Universal has made theme park deals with Warner Brothers in the past anyways. Like a MCer said, it's probably the "convenience" to have Potter in Disney that is bugging people. So what... I'd like Disney to take Pixar over Potter any day.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Just because Jim Hill writes an article about what COULD be happening in the minds of WDI and Disney doesn't mean they will always come to reality. He stated very clearly in the beginning that Pirateland is basically bluesky from a couple Imagineers.

I don't understand why many of you complain that Disney should have grabbed Potter. Basically the only outside source material Disney has their hands on is Lucas. I think Potter fits more with Universal anyways. Universal has made theme park deals with Warner Brothers in the past anyways. Like a MCer said, it's probably the "convenience" to have Potter in Disney that is bugging people. So what... I'd like Disney to take Pixar over Potter any day.
    The suggestion that there was some sort of choice between Pixar and Potter is absurd. Universal has never done a theme park deal with Warners before. They have done deals with Sony and Marvel.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
    The suggestion that there was some sort of choice between Pixar and Potter is absurd. Universal has never done a theme park deal with Warners before. They have done deals with Sony and Marvel.
    Universal (along with Dreamworks) put Shrek 4D in Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Disney had to made some Big $$$ choices when purchasing PIXAR.
    Iger also filled in the trench that Eisner had dug between Disney and
    Lucas, so it would certainly be a better business decision to foster and
    grow existing relationships (especially for two as big as PIXAR and Lucas).
    Pixar and Disney now stand united. Star Wars "franchise" has a multi-
    generational appeal. And has no signs of ending anytime soon.

Those types of interests have expeditures, in time, talent and money. Focusing on what they can do with those to the best of their abilities,
    is much wiser, than to pursue a brand new relationship with Rowling (especially when she has reportedly been difficult in dealing with.)
    Harry Potter is MUCH more of a gamble. And, of course, Disney is working on other fronts too (Pirates, narnia, possible Lone Ranger, etc)
    SO Disney does make decisions of some projects over others.
    ~ Once Pixar was acquired, Potter became much less important to Disney.

"Absurd" as you said, is the idea that these decisions did NOT affect
    each other.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Anyone know what the budget is for this? or have I missed it. Though I dont expect Universal to say how much they plan on spending on it. The budget tends to get leaked in some form or another.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

If you're thinking about Disney's response in Orlando consider this...

The guy responsible for new projects for the domestic parks is Tom Fitzgerald. The guy that brought you such classics as Seasons of the Vine, Golden Dreams, SuperStar Limo, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Journey into YOUR Imagination, the Astuter Computer Review, Tiki Room Under New Management, Stitch's Great Escape, Sounds Dangerous and Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris.

And now that Bruce and Craig have relieved Tom of his Asia projects and John Lasseter is focused on Anahiem, Tom will be able to put all his creative brilliance into Florida.

Harry Potter was Disney's to loose. You can thank Jay Rasulo and Tom Fitzgerald for loosing it.

Anyone out there a Disney stockholder?
    I thought Fitzgerald got outed as chief creative executive a few weeks ago in the big WDI shakeup?

• ...TWO BITS!

What should Disney spend millions even billions of company dollars on: Pixar or Potter?

Warner Brothers produced Beetlejuice and Scooby-Doo film(s). But you can argue Hanna-Barbera made the deal with Universal for Scooby-Doo.

From what I've been told Universal does not have movie costume rights to "Spider-Man" films. They do their deals with Marvel which is why you only see the comic book version. Marvel or Universal probably has some sort of merchandising deal with Sony to sell Spider-Man film merchandise on property.

Sony & Columbia is the same and thus Spider-Man, Ghostbusters, & MIB.

Dreamworks Animation owns Shrek.

Nickeoldeon/Viacom/Paramount owns Nickeoldeon characters.

CanalStudio owns Terminator.

20th Century Fox owns The Simpsons.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-03-2007 at 10:53 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I do think many people will wind up cutting a day or two off their Disney stays ... and that may be conservative as Uni is known for offering ticket specials that could encourage more visits.

I truly believe this area will attract throngs of Disney guests ... the kind who have never gone to Uni before, not the folks who already have been and/or continue to spend a day or two there on their vacations. Nope. These are those guests who are so blinded by pixie dust they would rather pay $40 for lousy Disney fast food rather than drive to 192 or 535 and spend $15 instead. They don't leave WDW property.

That's why again this is so huge. Because their kiddies and maybe even their own affection for the HP properties are going to push them off-property and that's when they may see there are so many other options for dining, shopping and (even worse for the Mouse) accomodations ... this has the potential to hurt Disney like nothing else in recent memory.

As to Disney being best when it acts like '[Walt] Disney' all I can say is that's not what the company has done since the mid-90s. They've stopped being inovators and leaders and they've become followers and, worse, word has gotten out about their greed and their WalMarting ways.

Things are starting to get fun in the Orlando park business again!
    The big danger is that if people are going to be going off-property to visit Islands of Adventure, they might think that staying in off-property hotels makes sense, too.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast