Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The big danger is that if people are going to be going off-property to visit Islands of Adventure, they might think that staying in off-property hotels makes sense, too.
    Wait until they learn about their front of the line access ....

Re: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: At Universal's Islands of Adventure in 2010

I think it depends on how long people are planning to go to Universal. If they're doing a couple of days there and then more time at Disney, they may just as easily stay on Disney property to take advantage of transportation and extra park hours. It's also possible people will split time at hotels between Universal and Disney hotels to take advantage of the perks at both.

I wonder, though, since Universal's crowds will likely be considerably larger than they are now, if they will get complaints from guests staying off property similar to Disney's guest complaints regarding Fastpass?

Disney should press forward with plans to update Star Tours and it would be great if they could start working with Lucas now on replacing the Indy stunt show at MGM with a ride/attraction based on the 4th Indiana Jones movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Universal (along with Dreamworks) put Shrek 4D in Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia.
    I'm not trying to be rude or anything. But I feel like I should explain.

The post I was responding to implied that Universal and Warners have frequently done business in the past; that there was other Warner content in Universal parks. There is not. The deal with Harry Potter is new and unique between the two companies.

The Shrek deal is between Dreamworks and Warners. Universal is not involved in any way. Dreamworks owns the film. Universal Creative helped with the development and Universal has the right to play it in their parks. Dreamworks even released it on DVD.
    Last edited by Mr. Eggz; 06-04-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I just though of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Disney had to made some Big $$$ choices when purchasing PIXAR.
    Iger also filled in the trench that Eisner had dug between Disney and
    Lucas, so it would certainly be a better business decision to foster and
    grow existing relationships (especially for two as big as PIXAR and Lucas).
    Pixar and Disney now stand united. Star Wars "franchise" has a multi-
    generational appeal. And has no signs of ending anytime soon.

Those types of interests have expeditures, in time, talent and money. Focusing on what they can do with those to the best of their abilities,
    is much wiser, than to pursue a brand new relationship with Rowling (especially when she has reportedly been difficult in dealing with.)
    Harry Potter is MUCH more of a gamble. And, of course, Disney is working on other fronts too (Pirates, narnia, possible Lone Ranger, etc)
    SO Disney does make decisions of some projects over others.
    ~ Once Pixar was acquired, Potter became much less important to Disney.

"Absurd" as you said, is the idea that these decisions did NOT affect
    each other.
    I did not say that they were 100% exclusive of each other. I said there was not a choice between the two as many people are saying.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude or anything. But I feel like I should explain.

The post I was responding to implied that Universal and Warners have frequently done business in the past; that there was other Warner content in Universal parks. There is not. The deal with Harry Potter is new and unique between the two companies.
    What about Beetlejuice? It's not as big a news as Harry Potter, but WB did produce Beetlejuice and this character still visits the the Universal parks on both coasts. This is what I was referring to with Warner Brothers.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post
    Anyone know what the budget is for this? or have I missed it. Though I dont expect Universal to say how much they plan on spending on it. The budget tends to get leaked in some form or another.
    The sources I've read indicate that the budget will be around $230 million.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    The sources I've read indicate that the budget will be around $230 million.
    Quoted from another sources, the budget will be somewhere between US$230 million and US$265 million.

The budget not that big though if u compare it with HK Ocean Park.

The Budget for Redevelopment at Hong Kong Ocean Park is around HK$5.55 billion, which is around US$713million. (3 times the budget of Harry Porter Theme Park)
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 06-09-2007 at 01:50 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongDisneyland View Post
    Quoted from another sources, the budget will be somewhere between US$230 million and US$265 million.

The budget not that big though if u compare it with HK Ocean Park.

The Budget for Redevelopment at Hong Kong Ocean Park is around HK$5.55 billion, which is around US$713million. (3 times the budget of Harry Porter Theme Park)
    But the budget for Islands of Adventure is for modifying an existing land. The budget for Ocean Park is to redevlop the entire park, so of course it will cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    What about Beetlejuice? It's not as big a news as Harry Potter, but WB did produce Beetlejuice and this character still visits the the Universal parks on both coasts. This is what I was referring to with Warner Brothers.
    Beetlejuice was distributed by WB, but the rights are owned by the Geffen Film Company. At the time that the Beetlejuice live show opened at Universal, WB had an agreement in place with Six Flags and could not put their characters in any other park. But Beetlejuice was owned by David Geffen who was (and is) a close frind of Spielberg who, at the time, was the Official Creative Advisor to Universal Parks. Spielberg and Geffen became the "S" and the "G" in Dreamworks SKG.

Later Six Flags was bought (50% at least) by Warner and they went whole hog into the Six Flags parks, but that didn't work out; WB lost a lot of money, so they sold their stake in Six Flags and regained the rights to put non-DC and non-Loony Toon characters in any park they wanted. Of course that's when both Disney and Universal became interested in Harry Potter.

check out this link for proof:

http://www.universalorlando.com/copyright.html
    Last edited by Mr. Eggz; 06-09-2007 at 04:54 PM.

I can say with certainty that the budget will be considerably more than $250 million. A lot higher.

Do you know what Expedition Everest and Mission Space REALLY cost?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I can say with certainty that the budget will be considerably more than $250 million. A lot higher.

Do you know what Expedition Everest and Mission Space REALLY cost?
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
    Beetlejuice was distributed by WB, but the rights are owned by the Geffen Film Company. At the time that the Beetlejuice live show opened at Universal, WB had an agreement in place with Six Flags and could not put their characters in any other park. But Beetlejuice was owned by David Geffen who was (and is) a close frind of Spielberg who, at the time, was the Official Creative Advisor to Universal Parks. Spielberg and Geffen became the "S" and the "G" in Dreamworks SKG.

Later Six Flags was bought (50% at least) by Warner and they went whole hog into the Six Flags parks, but that didn't work out; WB lost a lot of money, so they sold their stake in Six Flags and regained the rights to put non-DC and non-Loony Toon characters in any park they wanted. Of course that's when both Disney and Universal became interested in Harry Potter.

check out this link for proof:

http://www.universalorlando.com/copyright.html
    Twister is WB as well. Well it was produced by the WB and Universal through Amblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Twister is WB as well. Well it was produced by the WB and Universal through Amblin.
    Agghhh. Just click the link.

The numbers mentioned above are from a SEC filing that Universal City Development Partners, Ltd, the ones who operate Uni Orlando, filed after the Harry Potter announcement was made.

Here is what everyone is interested in, directly from the filing:

"We estimate our total capital investment in these attractions and the previously announced Simpsons™ attraction to range from $230.0 million to $265.0 million. This includes all capital expenditures to build these attractions. This also takes into account the net present value of all license fee payments, including license fee payments to WB that would become payable during the renewal option periods, but does not include merchandise royalties. During 2007, we expect to spend from $75.0 million to $85.0 million on these attractions."

So the $230 million to $265 million includes all of Harry Potter, AND the whole new Simpsons attractions.

This ALSO includes the license fee payments for both, and I'm sure that's a significant number.

Now, I know companies haven't told the truth about everything in the past, but it's really stupid to file an 8-K and lie about how much you plan to spend on something. So AFAIC, these numbers are probably pretty solid.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Solid on paper. Everyone inside the parks knows that what goes on paper is far from the actual cost of an attraction. The real budget for Harry will be upwards of 300 million. There is no possible way they could do it for less, unless they want it coming out looking like crap. And my 300 million doesn't include the budget for Simpsons.

Sure, what you read are estimates. But estimates are entirely wrong usually at the end. Look at... well, I can't give you an example. But you'll just have to trust me, it's gonna cost a lot more!
    -Bill

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast