Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• FuseMP

Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

I never went to the Suess part of the park when I was there, and Suess isn't that well known in the UK at all. We have gotten my son a few Suess books, but would probably visit that part of the park on a future visit. But that already has made the leap to classic; potter has yet to actually achieve that.

Over the years there's been tons of book series that have been major popular, take the entire Terry Pratchett Discworld series; it takes a lot for these books to be passed along. I never knew the LOTR story until i saw the movies and it still confuses the hell out of me (because some parts just don't make sense), most kids i think see Wizard of Oz because it's shown every christmas; thats how i saw Star Wars the first few times as well (it was ALWAYS shown on xmas eve). And in this ever changing world, there can be a huge difference between what is successfully passed on and what doesn't make the generational bridge.

Is someone really going to read an encyclopedia? surely all the information is probably on the internet already anyway. Sounds like something that would go on a shelf next to "Teach yourself Klingon" (I didn't get very far).

Personally, I think I'll stick to passing down G1 Transformers and Disney; and when he's old enough I'll tell him to read Imzahdi. I only read Star Trek books so there won't be much in the way of literature passed down.
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Different strokes for different folks. We're big readers in my family. I passed on a lot of classical literature to my son, and in many circumstances we read them together.

In my opinion, Harry Potter will have this type of staying power. I think this book has done a wonderful job in bridging the generation gap and brought families together to read again. And thus a tradition is born, I think many children who read these books will wait on pins and needles until their children are old enough that they can share these stories with them.

Again, I guess only time will tell, until then, it's all speculation.

• Minion

Based on the OP, you're saying Potter is a dead franchise because you didn't know the DVD was coming out? Please tell me I misread something.

• This space for rent

kcnole and MTNGIRL hit it right on the head, it'll be passed on down over time like other book/movie franchises have.

MTNGIRL was also right about SL at IoA it's timeless, that's why it's so popular with families.

You're writing off HP before the films are even finished, and that part of the park is even built, that in itself is pretty closed-minded and sad. The whole franchise is what 10 yrs old? Yet you proclaim it already dead??

Actually you'd be surprised about guests talking about HP in the park already, since I was just there Sat night at IoA, and heard a guy telling his son or nephew in Lost Continent, Harry Potter is gonna be here in a couple of years, and the little kid's voice hit some pretty high decibels as he spazzed out with joy.

The part that cracks me up about your whole analogy, is you act like just because your personal perception of something in the UK is one way, then that's how it is over here, which couldn't be any further from the truth. I could understand it maybe if they were building a HP part of a park in the UK....... but they're not.

HP is alive and still going strong over here, and that's what really matters.
    So you and your family aren't into HP, big deal, there are so many more people out there that are into it. Universal will be laughing all the way to the bank with those of us interested in the new edition to the park.

Perhaps instead of bashing on Universal, maybe you could be happy that Disney will step up and build some more quality oriented attractions as a result of HP at IoA??

• Circle of Ancients

Look at the other things that are popular at IOA:

Popeye - When is the last time ANYTHING popeye came out?
    Dudley Do Right - Do most people even know who he is?
    Jurassic Park - The movies are how old?

I don't think Universal has ANYTHING to worry about when it comes to Potter.

• Former Epcot CM

This is all a bit silly.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Potter, like Star wars and Lord of the Rings is a fantasy world that will always have a niche where kids and adults alike will want to explore. It isn't real, which makes it all the more appealing in a theme park situation.

Just because the original poster thinks it's a dead franchise doesn't make it so. Star Wars was thought to be dead. Books and a new ride revitalized interest and now it's stronger than ever.

People will be jazzed to see a new Harry Potter world. I know I am.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

ORDDU: Very true, ducklings. What makes an attraction successful is its quality--not whether or not it's based on some popular motion picture. Here's a good example: there have NEVER been any movies made about Sir Clinksalot. Yet he's a very popular attraction at ANY Disney theme park. The last time my sisters and I saw him at Walt Disney World, he was surrounded by many, many fans.

ORWEN: And Coheteboy is another good example. He has only had a supporting role in movies. Yet he's one of the most popular people to hang out with if you happen to be his current girlfriend--or even if you're just his secret admirer!

ORGOCH: Fact a the matter is, a BLACK CAULDRON ride'd be pop'lar if'n they made it a good one--which is more than I can say fer the dang movie--even if it IS where me 'n my two looney sisters come from.

• Sock Puppet

You're sitting there with an avatar of you in a Mickey Mouse hat and you're harping on an upcoming Universal attraction and trying to convince us that Harry Potter isn't popular anymore. Just something to think about.

• Minion

ORWEN: I know what you're saying, Pressler69, duckling. You're saying that after the Harry Potter attraction's success proves the same point a lot of the rest of us are trying to make, Strongstyle is going to be trading in his mouse ears for a witch's hat--the same one from Harry Potter and Hogwarts Hall!!!! That I'd love to see on his head.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Very true, ducklings. What makes an attraction successful is its quality--not whether or not it's based on some popular motion picture. Here's a good example: there have NEVER been any movies made about Sir Clinksalot. Yet he's a very popular attraction at ANY Disney theme park. The last time my sisters and I saw him at Walt Disney World, he was surrounded by many, many fans.
    LMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pressler69 View Post
    You're sitting there with an avatar of you in a Mickey Mouse hat and you're harping on an upcoming Universal attraction and trying to convince us that Harry Potter isn't popular anymore. Just something to think about.
    Very good point. Mickey's how old now?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Can you spot the Muggle in this thread boys and girls?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• The line's too long...

I have never read the books, and have only seen the first movie, which I thought was okay, but even I'd say that HP is going to be around a long while and is a modern classic. The question that can be bandied about is whether Universal overpaid for the rights, or whether giving Rowling veto rights over the direction of the park and even its existence in the future was wise or not. But to say that HP is already dead and so Universal made a huge error getting to make a land based on that universe is pretty well off the mark.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Very good point. Mickey's how old now?
    That, and he might be a little bias. I mean, I'm not huge into Harry Potter. I've seen a couple of the movies and I have no interest in reading the books. But from my vantage point "Harry Potter Mania" or whatever you want to call it is far from over. This thing is going to be huge for Universal and as long as they do it right and not cheap out, it's going to be a huge success.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    But I am still very much a Trekkie and it is still in the public eye. Its shown on TV here on a DAILY basis (often several times a day for different shows), and I still read one or two star trek books a month (apart from last year, damn TOS anniversary taking over the book schedule) becuase they are still being written. At the moment I'm even writing a Star Trek book for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) where Q, Q and q visit Disney World.
    It's in YOUR public eye, as a Trekkie. You are actively seeking it out. I couldn't tell you if there are any Star Trek reruns on here these days, because I don't need to know that. But like MTNGIRL, I am still keeping up with Harry Potter news, because that is important to ME.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    I never knew the LOTR story until i saw the movies and it still confuses the hell out of me (because some parts just don't make sense)
    Which illustrates exactly why the books will be so important. If you like that kind of stuff, LOTR has a huge appendix that explains all the nitpicky little details. With the books you can go as deep as you like. With the movies, you have to work with what you are given.

Is someone really going to read an encyclopedia? surely all the information is probably on the internet already anyway. Sounds like something that would go on a shelf next to "Teach yourself Klingon" (I didn't get very far).
    Yes. Lots of people will. A lot of the same people who read the LOTR appendices. And while we may have seen the last of Harry and Co., adventures at Hogwarts could potentially continue indefinitely, much like the additional Star Trek/Star Wars franchises.
    A signature should go here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast