Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• no flash photography...

Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    I don't have any actual figures, did the opening of either Star Wars or Indy at the Disney parks see an attributable increase in attendance (apart from maybe its first couple of months of operation).

And I think the HP series is a LONG way from reaching that status.

I don't know what other people did, but I bought the first DVD to see what all the fuss was about; nothing special. I bought the second DVD because people said it was better than the first; still nothing special. I bought the third DVD and never watched it. I bought the fourth DVD because I had the other three (and like three it hasnt been watched). I'm not going to bother with No.5.
    I don't get the potter hype either. I tried reading the first book a couple of times, but couldn't even get past the first chapter. It juts wasn't interesting and I felt like I was reading a child's book, not a book meant for adults.

I've seen a few scenes from the movie, but they didn't hold my interest either. I flipped past a scene with spiders in it and a flying car. IDK....my daughter out grew the books and never read the last two. She used to love them when she was in 4th grade until maybe 6th.

I did like the LOTR books, but not the movies.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

SusieP reminded me that I needed to touch back again on your points on whether anyone would read an encyclopedia about Harry Potter and how it relates to LoTR.

I'm extremely excited by the fact that a new LoTR book is on the market that is written by JRR Tolkien's grandson. In fact, it's on my Christmas list.

At least for me, I find that I'm extremely loyal to books and will return to them time and time again, way more than any movie.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I don't get the potter hype either. I tried reading the first book a couple of times, but couldn't even get past the first chapter. It juts wasn't interesting and I felt like I was reading a child's book, not a book meant for adults.

I've seen a few scenes from the movie, but they didn't hold my interest either. I flipped past a scene with spiders in it and a flying car. IDK....my daughter out grew the books and never read the last two. She used to love them when she was in 4th grade until maybe 6th.

I did like the LOTR books, but not the movies.

You do know that they are, in fact, children's books, don't you?

Harry potter is a chapter in my life and everything started 10 years ago?? maybe for the nostalgia im going to remember this forever... I shared many experiences with many people and I think that many people feel the same xD... . After the movies,there are plans to create tv series :]

Blog Entries

I know at least 5 people personally who have never set foot in a theme park, but when I mentioned to them over the last month or so that there was going to be a HP portion of the park they were excited to go. Its far from over.

• FuseMP

If they do continue it with a TV series, then that counters a lot of my feelings of how it will dissapate from public eye; my whole point is that the franchise is and will continue to twindle as there is less and less to an eventual no futher material. Obvioulsy a TV series will change that.

I have to say I am amazed to see so many people so confident that HP will live in the annals of history just because of being passed down generation to generation; afterall we are talking about a bunch of kids books and some mediocre movies. Just because a generation loves something, doesn't mean it will live forever; normally it takes a main stream media happenning to bring them back to the forefront. Star Wars was all be dead for a long time until more movies came out. Indy is probably almost unknown to most not much younger than me (they released a boxset of all 3 movies a year or so ago, it was on special within months), but im sure will be big news when the next movie comes out. I doubt 1 in 100 people could have told you the storyline to LOTR before the movies. Most of my knoweldge of Wizard of Oz comes from seeing and reading Wicked; i havent watched the movie since i was a kid. Although all these franchises are considered classics, they go on the back burner in a big way pretty soon after they first exist if there is nothing more. I could draw up a huge list of books and movies that have been gigantic in my lifetime and have all but dissapeared from public eye.

The coca cola symbol is THE most recognised symbol on the planet yet coca cola still advertise. According to the logic being said here they needn't bother; we love coke, so we'll introduce coke to our kids and they will love it, they will give it to their kids and so on. So why do coke spend $1.6billion a year on advertising?

Maybe it's because they know that if they don't keep their name in people's minds, they will go elsewhere, or because they want to reach new audiences. With no more books, no more movies, no TV series, no anything; where will the advertising be? Generational word of mouth will only go so far; it's not like HP is going to become part of the national curriculum with kids forced to read it; and if my parents had told me i should read something because they did when they were kids I would have laughed them off for how old it was.

But then maybe I know nothing and it will be HUGE forever (although I hope not). The only thing I meant by this topic was that I am noticing a decline in popularity/exposure already and we're still years away from park openeing. Much of the comments in reply have been based on what people think now and not what they think will be the case in three years time when the movies have finished (which is when HPs popularity will really be tested)
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

Blog Entries

yeah, I know what you mean. I mean nobody cares about that Jaws movie anymore, or that silly old Peter Pan movie, obviously no one would care to meet Mickey, I mean he hasn't had his own movie in how many years now?

• FuseMP

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    yeah, I know what you mean. I mean nobody cares about that Jaws movie anymore, or that silly old Peter Pan movie, obviously no one would care to meet Mickey, I mean he hasn't had his own movie in how many years now?
    Honestly, I dont think anyone does care about Jaws any more; ask how many teens have watched Jaws and watched Saw and which they thought was better. I would be surprised if many generations after my own (if any) consider Jaws a thing worth seeing.

Peter Pan himself is probably financially worth about 1/20th of what Tink is worth, if that. Tink has always been pushed merchandise wise because Disney lacks non-pincess female characters for putting on Tshirts and of course it helps that she is a babe. But it's not Peter Pan they are rejuvanating with new media, it's Tink. I've tried to get my son to watch Peter Pan, not interested; and my son LOVES Pirate ships.

I see Mickey Mouse on TV every morning because my son watches Clubhouse while I'm getting up for work. He may not have had a movie, but he's in the public eye enough for him to have been some of my sons first words. And before Clubhouse there was the Three Muskateer Movie which is only a few years old, House of Mouse which is still shown, the COUNTLESS Mickey DVDs on sale.
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm still trying to sort out why we are lumping books, movies and merchandising (whether toys or theme park rides) in one category.

The Lord of the Rings books are considered a literary masterpiece and is considered one of the most read books of all times, it is on almost every Top Book list ever made. Do I think Harry Potter will reach this status? Yes I do. Mainly do to the fact that it inspired a surge in reading with children across the world.

And I will continue to support and support strongly the Harry Potter fandom (as I do the LoTR) to help get good books in kids hands. I truly believe reading is a gift we give our children. I truly hope that the world never stops caring about good books.

• Again! Again! Again!

I have to say I am amazed to see so many people so confident that HP will live in the annals of history just because of being passed down generation to generation; afterall we are talking about a bunch of kids books and some mediocre movies.
    That "bunch of kids books" has started a whole new genre of reading books for children. There are many book series out there now that have followed the same idea with their characters. And you're amazed that people are confident? Are you amazed at yourself for being confident that this will fail?

Just because a generation loves something, doesn't mean it will live forever; normally it takes a main stream media happenning to bring them back to the forefront. Star Wars was all be dead for a long time until more movies came out.
    So not true because they became popular again before the new movies came out. They re-released the originals in the theatres, they added more effects to the originals and released them on DVD. And, yes, Star Tours still has a line at DL...every day.

Indy is probably almost unknown to most not much younger than me (they released a boxset of all 3 movies a year or so ago, it was on special within months), but im sure will be big news when the next movie comes out.
    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that most people already had them and didn't want to buy them again. And the ride at DL...I don't think there is ever a line less than 20 minutes...even on slow days.

I doubt 1 in 100 people could have told you the storyline to LOTR before the movies. Most of my knoweldge of Wizard of Oz comes from seeing and reading Wicked; i havent watched the movie since i was a kid. Although all these franchises are considered classics, they go on the back burner in a big way pretty soon after they first exist if there is nothing more. I could draw up a huge list of books and movies that have been gigantic in my lifetime and have all but dissapeared from public eye.
    I'm sure that most did. The Hobbit was a huge success in the 70's as was the LoTR. Mostly because they made an animation movie on both of them. I read The Hobbit in 4th grade. So, I beg to differ on that one. Many people were excited for the movies to come out. They wouldn't have been if they didn't know the story.

And "most of your knowledge" of Wizard of Oz comes from Wicked? Really? Wizard of Oz is a classic and was always on TV before there was a Wicked. Am I reading that wrong? Because it sounds like you're saying that Wizard of Oz became popular again with Wicked and that's just not true.

Just because something has disappeared for a long time doesn't mean it's not popular anymore. Maybe it's not on the minds of the billions of people in the world...including yours...but that doesn't mean it's not still out there and popular. The Chronicles of Narnia has also been re-invented, for lack of better terms, but children were still reading those books before the movie came out.

I believe that Harry Potter will be around for a long time. The fact is, it is all speculation and opinions. But I think it's rather harsh that you have thought something has failed before it has even begun. Were you saying the same thing when DL decided to make everything Pirates just because of a movie? And that ride is as popular as it ever was.

Like MTNGIRL said, we just need to agree to disagree. I can see your stand point because you're not a fan. But you have to also try and see the stand point of those that are. You might be surprised!

Just my $0.02.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Blog Entries

Honestly, I dont think anyone does care about Jaws any more; ask how many teens have watched Jaws and watched Saw and which they thought was better. I would be surprised if many generations after my own (if any) consider Jaws a thing worth seeing.
    Yet when Universal attempted to shut down Jaws the fans came out of the woodwork. Its still one of the most popular rides in the park. It certainly is mine. I personally think your understanding of American fandom is severely flawed. Potter is still huge here, and people dedicated huge amounts of their life to it. Thats going to be something parents share with their kids later, and its going to be a series of books that are still read for a while.

Personally I don't get Potter at all. I'm not excited about it coming to IOA except for there to be something new there. However knowing people as they are, its going to be very very big once its complete.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If they do continue it with a TV series, then that counters a lot of my feelings of how it will dissapate from public eye; my whole point is that the franchise is and will continue to twindle as there is less and less to an eventual no futher material. Obvioulsy a TV series will change that.

I have to say I am amazed to see so many people so confident that HP will live in the annals of history just because of being passed down generation to generation; afterall we are talking about a bunch of kids books and some mediocre movies. Just because a generation loves something, doesn't mean it will live forever; normally it takes a main stream media happenning to bring them back to the forefront.

We're not talking about the annals of history here... we're talking in 5 short years, The Wonderous World of Harry Potter will be a huge success. You know the famous movie saying from "Field of Dreams" right?

"If you build it... they will come."

And that's so true!

Harry Potter isn't just a book anymore. It's not just a movie either. It's a breathing living entity that will remain, as long as people continue to enjoy it. With a theme park world, you don't even have to have seen the movies or read the books to appreciate the quality that Universal is boasting will be put into it. And if you've seen the best Islands of Adventure has to offer, you know it's going to be unbelievable.

Bringing up the fact that kids these days don't care about Jaws anymore is irrelevant. They don't have to care. But will they enjoy an experience where a fake shark pops out of the water and scares them? Yeah! Of course a lot of them will think it's lame because the technology is so outdated but despite that, they now instantly know the character of Jaws. And there's no escaping it either. No matter what they watch, if it has a shark reference, there's gonna be a Jaws reference too.

Jaws will live on forever because a) it's a shark and b) John Williams' score will forever be engrained to the human mind when we think sharks.

You don't even have to have SEEN the movie to know that.

You don't have to have seen Jurassic Park to appreciate the wonders of Dinosaurs in a zoo like setting. The concept is right there. People understand it and they will remember it.

And then there's John Williams' score.

Harry Potter is the same way. You don't need to read the books or see the movie. It's a world of castles, wizards, witches, and magic. These themes are timeless and will never fade. Even if the name Harry Potter fades away, the human interest in this realm will still remain.

And then again there's John Williams' score.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Prime example:

My kids haven't watched the Mummy movies or Jurassic Park and have only seen MIB or Back to the Future a few times.

Yet, aside from Spiderman (because that ride freakin' rocks) those were their favorite rides at the park.

Let's not even get started on the popularity of E.T. and the outcry that caused at Universal Hollywood.

To them, it didn't matter that it was based on a movie that they may or may not have seen. What mattered was they were fun attractions.

As long as Potterland is on that level, it will not matter if you've seen the movies or not.

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    As long as Potterland is on that level, it will not matter if you've seen the movies or not.
    Amen!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Agreed!

But my hope is that a child will enter Potterland and ask a question about the land/ride and a parent will say, you know there's a whole series of books we can read.

The story is passed on and hopefully another child is encouraged to read!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast