Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

Let me just jump in here and say that the Harry Potter novels have a certain timelessness to them that I truly belive will allow them to endure for yars and years to come.

The Potterland idea is a shrewd one, whoever came up with it must have really known what they were doing.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    Maybe I'm just completely out of the loop on this one
    Perhaps more than you understand.

"Potter" is no fad. It may have ups and downs (like any franchise), but it's not going anywhere.

Harry Potter will eventually meet the fate of Hans Brinker, but it's silly to think that's going to happen in a mere two years, especially with two new movies yet to be released. Harry doesn't have to be super-popular for years on end for "Wizarding World" to be worth Universal's time and money. All it has to do is give IOA a big surge in attendance when it opens. It's certainly going to do that.

Getting people *back* isn't up to Harry. It's up to IOA.

• Circle of Ancients

I think the fact that Potterland is the first expansion for IOA since it opened is the most important thing.

Bystander is right ... Potterland will bring interested people in ... once. It's up to Universal to make sure they come back, without giving the park away.

Personally, I LOVE IOA, and if it was here I'd wager I would visit WAY more than I visit Universal Studios Hollywood.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    It may be, having never read any of them it's always possible. Also, it being a series I can see those who are into it, re-reading the last book prior to the next book's release just to remind of the story so far kinda thing. But that's not going to be the case any more.

I sit on a train for 90mins a day (joy), in the first 2 weeks of the last books release they were everywhere, seemed like i was the only person not reading it. But I haven't seen a copy in anyones hands since then.

I don't know if a secondary theme park in Florida opening a few Potter rides will spark mass rereading of the books in England. I think that's going to be a little out of its range of effect. I've only ever seen the odd advert for Universal shown in the UK at the start of the Summer so their impact over here on consumer trends is pretty insignificant. Did Universal opening Back to the Future (a ride i loved as a kid) cause any major amount of people in any country to re-watch the movie? I doubt it.

I just cant help but think that Disney did the best thing by not building anything but keeping the letter of intent active until as late as possible. If Universale could have built this years ago it would have been a major coup; I just really think 2009 is 8 years too late.
    No !!! I'll always love HP!!

• Directly directed

Wow. I would think that out of all places the people in the UK would be aware of the fact thatHarry Potter isn't going any where. It has completely changed children's reading habits forever. It caused a huge increase of children reading and it changed the types of books marketed at children. Potterland is going to be extremely successful. And hopefully WDW will realize that and step it up a notch so that Disney can profit from all the people who will flock to see the opening of Potterland.

• Sock Puppet

Arrow Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

Sure, down the road Harry Potter might not be as popular as it was in its peak, but if you create a nicely detailed and themed area to a theme park with a big blockbuster attraction, people are going to enjoy it regardless if they are a fan or familiar with the Harry Potter franchise.

Do you think people who have never watched Indiana Jones movies dislike the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland? no. What about all those people that have never seen "Song of the South" in their life, do they dislike Splash Mountain? Nope... If Universal does it right, this Wizarding World of Harry Potter will become popular, add another big E-ticket and nicely themed area to the park, and it might actually strengthen the HP franchise and take visitors away from WDW... I've already heard so much WDW veterans and tourists that strictly visit the Disney theme parks on their vacations saying that they would make the trip to Universal once Harry Potter (and The Simpsons) open.

• Minion

ORDDU: What it boils down to inside the cauldron is that some stories and ideas in the world are timeless. This means they don't have to cater to what's considered 'hip' at any given moment. They are what they are--timeless delights with timeless appeal. My sisters and I suspect Harry Potter has acheived that most honored position by now.

ORWEN: That's why Peter Pan dark rides, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella castles will never go out of style!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Yeah, all of the books have been released, but they will go on forever. As previously mentioned, most fans tend to re-read the books. This isn't just some "fad"...this is making history, because the Harry Potter books are timeless.

The stories, settings, environments, all of the elements of the Potter books have something very special and addictive about them, and even if some people aren't knowledgeable of the books or films, I believe that they would still enjoy a Harry Potter theme park.

To the OP-while I respect your comments, I think you are biased in that you're not a fan of the books-which puts you in the minority.

harry potter for Unversial is as bout as bad as lucu land will e for MGM. if that rumor is true. or cars theme fr Mk is!

• Senior Minion

movies will keep it alive
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

First, I have to explain that at times in my life, I have been a HUGE fan of many of the things used to compare to Harry Potter and the Wizarding World on here. I was OBSESSED with Raiders of the Lost Ark as a kid, have been to several Star Trek conventions in my life, actually TAUGHT a high school Science Fiction course using the entire original trilogy of Star Wars as a MAJOR unit in the semester (well before the next three were anythin more than urban legend and most felt he wouldn't do them), and hoped to someday mesh a unit with history class using the Wizard of Oz books.

I find it VERY ironic that in the same post stating that Star Trek is dying because there isn't a series on right now, there is also mention of a fan-fic story being written!!!

One would be VERY, VERY wrong in stating that kids today don't know Indiana Jones or Star Wars. Perhaps that would be true if DVDs or VHS didn't exist - but they do. When we do summer outdoor movies in the backyard, Indiana Jones is always mentioned among the younger set.

However, to be fair... comparing the HP world to Jaws, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park is like comparing apples to an apple orchard. The details in JK Rowling's work is amazing. She truely is the author she wishes to be - the type where you read her work and even though the details aren't written down, you just get the feeling that the AUTHOR has those details in her head. (She has a background story for every character, actually).

The wealth of details that she can give them will probably give them ideas to expand on for that park for years to come. I'm only sad that Disney DIDN'T get it - actually, I would think it would have been a very good park to create in the UK, as long as they are expanding internationally.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyYaYa View Post
    First, I have to explain that at times in my life, I have been a HUGE fan of many of the things used to compare to Harry Potter and the Wizarding World on here. I was OBSESSED with Raiders of the Lost Ark as a kid, have been to several Star Trek conventions in my life, actually TAUGHT a high school Science Fiction course using the entire original trilogy of Star Wars as a MAJOR unit in the semester (well before the next three were anythin more than urban legend and most felt he wouldn't do them), and hoped to someday mesh a unit with history class using the Wizard of Oz books.
    Okay, can I be in your class???
    A signature should go here.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Okay, can I be in your class???
    LOL... I haven't taught for a while, but I must admit, the papers I got out of the Star Wars unit WERE very fun to read... esp. one by one of the three girls in the class (Feminism as presented in Star Wars - in other words, Princess Leia kicks *** and doesn't need a man to do it for her!)

• Why do you keep talking?

Another thing is that like anything in real life, it can always be changed. Even if (and that's a Huge "IF") Harry Potter theoretically died, the general themes of castles, witches, wizards and magic can always be used (as mentioned before) in a general sense. What will make or break this new "island" is if Universal can put in what they originally did with the rest f the park and theme the crap out of it and well!

he Nightmare before christmas is also a HUGE example of a movie (not even an entire franshise) that was "dead" to begin with but is now HUGELY popular 14 years after it was released in theatres.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast