Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Proud Narnian

Traveling between Narnia, Camelot, and The Midlands

Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

I doudt the Harry Potter fandom will ever die out. There's too many fans and they are very creative. We have 2 more movies. Deathly Hallows will be released sometime in 2010. The fans have fanfiction, fan art, Wizard Rock, and PodCasts. And JK Rowling left us plenty of things left unexplained, so we have plenty of thigs to discuss on the forums. Any ways, that's my 2 cents . . .
    Out of curosity,MTNGIRL: which PodCast do you listen too? I'm a PotterCaster myself. But I listen to MuggleCast occasionally.
    I'm on my 3 round through of the entire series. It never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFangirl View Post
    I doudt the Harry Potter fandom will ever die out. There's too many fans and they are very creative.
    I'm sure the Hans Brinker fans felt the same way.

• Proud Narnian

Traveling between Narnia, Camelot, and The Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander View Post

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, only Father Time will tell just how timeless the Harry Potter franchize will become and he's not speaking on this subject at the moment. So, how many of you ducklings plan to be around long enough to wait with your cauldron girls to find out whether or not Harry becomes truly timeless?

ORWEN: That's a good question but, in the meantime, I'm gonna' go out on a limb and predict that ENCHANTED is going to be timeless, too!!!!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    Opinion is a hard thing to debate.

I think I will always be excited to see the Harry Potter rides at IoA, in much the same way I never tire of Star Tours. And in my fandom, Harry Potter and Star Wars are pretty much on equal par.
    Agreed on both counts. I see Harry Potter as a timeless series like Lord off the Rings and Star Wars. (And Star Tours is still my favorite ride at DL. )

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And then there's John Williams' score.
    Swoon! It's one of the few soundtracks I still get butterflies no matter how many times I hear it.

Maybe. But the difference now is that fans now can "convene" daily on the internet. Boards, podcasts, and fan-fic keeps the momentum going like never before. Certain franchises send fans into a short-lived frenzy and die out. Harry Potter is one that, IMO, will remain.

If nothing else, it takes a long time to read the books out loud. Passing it onto each successive generation will take years each time! I'm on my fourth reading (UK version this time) for myself, but I've only read the first 2 books to my son so far. He's six and is part of the next generation of Potter fans.

I personally can't wait for the opening of Potterland. I felt no real pull to visit IoA when we went to WDW last year. When Potterland is open, I'll add another day to my itinerary just to see it.
    <o>

• Up is Down

Harry Potter will be around for a long time, im sure, and if it isnt its not hard to take things out and change them.....
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Freakster

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    Agreed on both counts. I see Harry Potter as a timeless series like Lord off the Rings and Star Wars. (And Star Tours is still my favorite ride at DL. )
    Interesting examples. As far as I can see, LOTR has already faded from the public consciousness. Good movies, classic books for those who like fantasy but not something that has held the average person's attention these days.

I'm actually feeling similarly toward Star Wars -- it's got a strong sense of nostalgia and they've done a great job in refreshing toy lines and things to keep it top of mind, but most kids and teens I know see the original films as kinda "quaint." The prequels don't even have that going for it.

This is a totally off topic tangent, but pop culture has become extremely disposable due to the easy availabilty of options. Movies come and go in theaters in weeks rather than months. DVDs have more longevity, but sit on a shelf with thousands of others. It's not the 1960s where a popular show is viewed by 50% of the people in the country. Long-lasting franchises are hard to come by. Basing ANY attraction on a piece of popular culture today will be challenged to maintain its longevity. E.T. was considered a classic film in the years following its release and the E.T. attraction was planned to be open for 25 years and closed after what? 12 years in Hollywood? 14 in Orlando?

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but hope that it does well. But I do tend to agree that once the last films are gone, it will fade from the minds of the majority of the population as well. It will have its evergreen fans, as LOTR always has, but not enough to sustain the current mania.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

A great attraction will never fade, no matter the property. Theme parks have a certain luxury where the guests have PAID to enter your park... so now you provide them a selection of attractions and if it's good, they'll go on it.

When I was a kid, home video was in its infancy and Disney's rate of releasing videos was slow at best. I went on Dumbo, Snow White Scary Adventures, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Peter Pan's Flight, Casey Jr Circus Train.... all without having seen ANY of those films! And yet I loved them.

Quarter Century later, those rides are still there and I still enjoy them. And these are ordinary dark rides too! Harry Potter is a full blown land with detail galore. I'm sure it will keep people coming for a long time. A long time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by ekester View Post
    Basing ANY attraction on a piece of popular culture today will be challenged to maintain its longevity. E.T. was considered a classic film in the years following its release and the E.T. attraction was planned to be open for 25 years and closed after what? 12 years in Hollywood? 14 in Orlando?

The E.T. Adventure already has 17 yrs under it's belt here in Orlando. Since it fits it's area of the park quite well, I'd be surprised to see it leave any time soon. It still can get a decent wait at times, so it probably won't have too tough of a time reaching 25 yrs.

Besides E.T. was one movie with not that much merchandise associated with it, much less the books that HP has to help it in the long run. Kind of an apples and oranges thing when trying to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    Besides E.T. was one movie with not that much merchandise associated with it, much less the books that HP has to help it in the long run.
    ET was accompanied by an absolutely massive flood of merchandise.

• This space for rent

ET was accompanied by an absolutely massive flood of merchandise.
    It was still nothing compared to Star Wars back then, and nothing compared to what's been released so far for HP with the 2 more films to go.

I still don't understand how people can pick at a part of a park that very little is known about, much less has even built yet, when it's based on one of the most successful franchises to date, and the people behind it are consultants for this part of the park.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

Since I first saw this thread, I've thought about things like all the adults reading HP7 on the planes from London to SF this past July. Or the kids trick of treating this year wearing Hogwarts' garb. And let's face it, Splash Mtn. is still extremely popular even though most Disney guests have never seen Song of the South.

I think the addition at Universal will be wildly successful, with only 3 things that might prevent it:

Poor execution.
    Poor marketing.
    Circumstances beyond their control (gas prices, unemployment, Disney keeping guests on WDW property at gunpoint, etc.).

I will make sure to post here if I have to admit I'm wrong once it actually exists. I'm assuming the OP will as well.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Too bad Universal, Potter's already dead

A couple of quotes found when googling "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial merchandising".

"When the film was released, there had been what was for that time a comprehensive merchandising campaign, which included E. T. books, video games, clothing, dolls and cereal. And there was, of course, the bonanza enjoyed by the Hershey Foods Corporation, which in a landmark product placement deal agreed to provide Reese's Pieces as the candy used by a boy to cement a friendship with the space creature."

"E.T.'s original merchandise program is one of the most popular and successful licenses in Universal Studios history."

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Minion FOREVER!

Just my two cents....

I also believe the HP "wave" of interest by the general public has crested/peaked and
    generally there's less interest than before (the last book came out).

BUT with the last movie probably coming out in 2009, I think that there will be
    sufficient interest in the Universal HP world for it to be successful *IF*
    the execution/marketing are sufficient, and there's no external factor affecting
    it. (I doubt that one w/ gas prices at record levels and threatening to continue
    rising; Disney's already factored that in at WDW).

As for HP being popular on-going, I think that it'll be as Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Oz/Winnie the
    Pooh/Alice in Wonderland (and many other formerly wildly popular/now just popular children books).

Just my two cents...

• Circle of Ancients

Try and think back of the last book series to be THAT successful with kids and adults.

You have to go back a few decades at least. I can't think of ANYTHING in the 70's or 80's that was that huge. You have to go back to the 60's and the popularity of Lord of the Rings "Frodo Lives" to see something that was that huge.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast