Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 112
  1. #16

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,364

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Of course this is gonna blow Toy Story Mania out of the water. Look at the size of that attraction! Look at the ride that it's replacing! This is a main event attraction for Universal so it NEEDS to be good.

    Toy Story Mania is not even shooting to be the next Indiana Jones or Star Tours. But looking at their Midway, you almost want it to be that fun at DCA don't ya?


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    ^The real problem is that the Disney marketing department is gonna treat it as it is, like they did with Nemo. (that's another argument against cheap, barren queues) According to sources, TSMM's queue behaves just like the Subs and winds around Paradise Pier, stretching for ages, without any entertainment at all (oh, but there is overpriced food!)...I mean, didn't they learn their lesson the first time?!

    Honestly, when is Disney gonna pull out the next Indiana? Because it's been over a decade since that and we haven't received anything close yet. (at least in the US we haven't) I suppose Carsland could do it, but it's gonna have to be one hell of an experience, not just a ride like Imagineering has been churning out for a long while...

  3. #18

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    That is exactly why I am slowly starting to slip away from Disney.


    AND DAMN! The videos were already flagged down by NBC/Universal!!!


  4. #19

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,364

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    ^The real problem is that the Disney marketing department is gonna treat it as it is, like they did with Nemo. (that's another argument against cheap, barren queues) According to sources, TSMM's queue behaves just like the Subs and winds around Paradise Pier, stretching for ages, without any entertainment at all (oh, but there is overpriced food!)...I mean, didn't they learn their lesson the first time?!

    Honestly, when is Disney gonna pull out the next Indiana? Because it's been over a decade since that and we haven't received anything close yet. (at least in the US we haven't) I suppose Carsland could do it, but it's gonna have to be one hell of an experience, not just a ride like Imagineering has been churning out for a long while...

    Well the queue for TSMM is another argument for another time. I don't think everything needs a fancy queue but I just don't want it to be as bad as California Screamin's queue. That was the worst.


    As far as the next "Indiana", the opening of DCA should have given us some high scoring rides but all we got was Soarin and Grizzly River. Then came Tower of Terror and then Finding Nemo. Carsland is next. Over in WDW they got Everest and Mission:Space.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  5. #20

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,952

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    That is exactly why I am slowly starting to slip away from Disney.


    AND DAMN! The videos were already flagged down by NBC/Universal!!!
    I think Disney still has come up with some recent wow type rides. We'll see, Universal needs a big hit and we'll find out soon if this is it.

  6. #21

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,649

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Disney used to do it the Universal way, but now?
    I think you have it backwards....

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Forget it. It's all about the ride, and nevermind the queue.
    The lack of pre-show elements in the queue is more of an issue at DL then it is in WDW. But when Disney wants to, it can do awesome even out there (see: Indy). However, most of the DL and DCA attractions are given outdoor chain queues and little else.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    AND DAMN! The videos were already flagged down by NBC/Universal!!!
    That is so totally wrong. I don't understand why they did that, it's just a ride. Are they going to delete all the ride videos from the Universal parks?

  8. #23

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,952

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    That is so totally wrong. I don't understand why they did that, it's just a ride. Are they going to delete all the ride videos from the Universal parks?
    I don't blame them. Once the ride actually opens it's fair game.

  9. #24

    • TR2N. Are You Ready?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    183

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    I saw a video of the ride on youtube and lemme tell ya, it looks awesome!

    I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

  10. #25

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I think Disney still has come up with some recent wow type rides. We'll see, Universal needs a big hit and we'll find out soon if this is it.
    If Disney had come up with "WOW" type rides, I wouldn't be slipping away from them.


  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I don't blame them. Once the ride actually opens it's fair game.
    Ah, I see. So on May 17th, it's all good, right? Because I was lurking around some Universal fansites and DAMN, do they hate YouTube! Apparently they hate ride videos and seek to demolish every single one because of course, everyone has access to a Florida plane ride and Universal Studios tickets!

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think you have it backwards....

    The lack of pre-show elements in the queue is more of an issue at DL then it is in WDW. But when Disney wants to, it can do awesome even out there (see: Indy). However, most of the DL and DCA attractions are given outdoor chain queues and little else.
    1. It was supposed to be an ironic statement. (that Universal copied Disney, then Universal became Disney when Disney stopped doing it)
    2. Well, in WDW they have more room to stretch their legs, but they haven't done it (besides, in a way, with Everest) since the start of the decade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Well the queue for TSMM is another argument for another time. I don't think everything needs a fancy queue but I just don't want it to be as bad as California Screamin's queue. That was the worst.


    As far as the next "Indiana", the opening of DCA should have given us some high scoring rides but all we got was Soarin and Grizzly River. Then came Tower of Terror and then Finding Nemo. Carsland is next. Over in WDW they got Everest and Mission:Space.
    1. "Not everything needs a fancy queue"? Yes. But it should at least attempt to entertain. Honestly, at this point, it's nearly as bad as California Screamin', just with a gigantic AA.
    2. Yes, Soarin' sets up nicely, but the pre-pre show could've been done so much better; ToT is a clone; Finding Nemo?! Such a big miss, right there! I slightly agree with Everest, but not so much Mission: Space...

    Whew! Just wait 'til TSMM actually opens!

  12. #27

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,364

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    1. "Not everything needs a fancy queue"? Yes. But it should at least attempt to entertain. Honestly, at this point, it's nearly as bad as California Screamin', just with a gigantic AA.
    You say that it needs to attempt to at least entertain but that's what the ginormous Potato Head is there for. It's already a step up from California Screamin's queue. And maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't think Disney needs to force entertainment at us every chance it gets. It just needs to be well-themed and I'll be happy... especially for a ride like TSMM where it belongs on a midway, to theme it properly would be to not theme it at all! So we'll see how that ride looks when it's finally open and then I'll probably gripe about the boring queue then.


    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    2. Yes, Soarin' sets up nicely, but the pre-pre show could've been done so much better; ToT is a clone; Finding Nemo?! Such a big miss, right there! I slightly agree with Everest, but not so much Mission: Space...

    Oh wait... you're just talking about queues? well yah then Soarin sucks and Finding Nemo sucks. Buzz Lightyear (another clone) has an animatronic but the rest of the queue is cheap beyond belief. Pooh benefits from a nice atmosphere in Critter Country. Monsters Inc has a horrible queue. Grizzly River Run is as good as it needs to be.

    Everest has a strong queue with plenty of details and things to look at. Mission: Space also has a very detailed queue with plenty to look at.


    But again, this is Universal where rides are thrown about randomly. They NEED it to be as immersive as possible to make you believe the ride you are about to go on, and I give them credit for pulling it off. But at least Toy Story Midway Mania is in the right land. In Florida, TSMM is in a hollywood studio park. And Simpsons in Florida is right next to Men In Black!

    This is why I so dislike the studio park concept.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    The studio park concept can work, Universal was amazing when it first opened. Unfortunately both Universal and DHS have quit trying to be a studio park, now they're just a park with rides about movies and tv shows.

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You say that it needs to attempt to at least entertain but that's what the ginormous Potato Head is there for. It's already a step up from California Screamin's queue. And maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't think Disney needs to force entertainment at us every chance it gets. It just needs to be well-themed and I'll be happy... especially for a ride like TSMM where it belongs on a midway, to theme it properly would be to not theme it at all! So we'll see how that ride looks when it's finally open and then I'll probably gripe about the boring queue then.
    If you've looked closely, you'll notice that the line passes only shortly by Mr. Potato Head, as he's actually designed to get people inside the ride, not entertain those waiting for it. Think about all those people in the blazing hot sun, squirming around for those fans and having only the lagoon to stare at and nothing else?

    Another fact that I have barely touched on is the fact that TSMM has a story, but I'll bet you it's never stated explicitly before and in the ride itself! I'd never guess that they're putting on a carnival under Andy's bed if I hadn't read the press release. Simpsons, however, tells you the story in a perfect manner...

  15. #30

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14

    Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Disney used to do it the Universal way, but now? Forget it. It's all about the ride, and nevermind the queue. At Universal, there are ALWAYS monitors or something inside the queue that tells you the story and adds serious ambiance and excitement.
    While the point about a queue that immerses is taken, I disagree about the monitors at Universal. I personally think they are one of the more annoying aspects of that park. Yuck. It feels like they're always trying to sell you on something with those darn monitors everywhere. I personally think it is obnoxious.At Disneyland one of the worst things about HISTA is the cutesy Kodak commercial that plays in the queue and at least that one is almost tolerable. The Universal stuff is terrible and obnoxious.

    However, I haven't seen the Simpson's video yet, but as described it sounds like in that case it probably works with the story and is enjoyable. But as far as the junk on the escalators, Jurassic queue, backlot tour queue, etc. I'd rather it go away. It's not entertaining, it's annoying.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Manta Soft Opens
    By sir clinksalot in forum SeaWorld Orlando
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM
  2. Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!
    By EPCOT1982 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
  3. Universal Studios Simpson Ride
    By vannie<3 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
  4. FINDING NEMO Soft Opens Today!!!
    By Imagineer1985 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •