Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

^Wha?! It's done better in Orlando, but I never recalled Universal trying to "sell you something" like at Disney...

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    ^Wha?! It's done better in Orlando, but I never recalled Universal trying to "sell you something" like at Disney...
    Never left RCID when I've been in FL except on the way to/from airport, so I should have been more specific - don't have any idea what this is like in FL. As far as selling, I am referring to other media products from NBC/Universal. Sure Disney tries to sell you stuff, but it isn't done with monitors in the queues that I can recall (Kodak being an exception).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJosh View Post
    Never left RCID when I've been in FL except on the way to/from airport, so I should have been more specific - don't have any idea what this is like in FL. As far as selling, I am referring to other media products from NBC/Universal. Sure Disney tries to sell you stuff, but it isn't done with monitors in the queues that I can recall (Kodak being an exception).
    It is just done with loud announcements over the PA system, "Brought to you by a generous grant, by the McDonalds Corporation"
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Wow. Guys, hate to say it, but this blows Toy Story Mania out of the water. There's no doubt who won "the battle of the rides".

Toy Story Mania might be a cute, small 3-D interactive ride; The Simpsons Ride is what a great attraction should be: an experience. Attention new Imagineers: pay close attention to Universal Creative, they've been doing what your superiors haven't in a decade...
    Wow, you rode TSM??? Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I love this Simpson's vs Toy Story debate. It is like watching a REALLY good boxing match, and we haven't even hit the bell for Round 1!
    LOL!!!

Why can't we be thankful that both huge entertainment companies in both FL and CA are building new rides this year? It's going to create competition, which is a GOOD thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

LOL!!!

Why can't we be thankful that both huge entertainment companies in both FL and CA are building new rides this year? It's going to create competition, which is a GOOD thing.
    Amen to that!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    No. No. Don't pull the whole "you never rode TSM so you can't have an opinion" bit. I said that "Toy Story Mania is a cute, 3D interactive ride". Which it has been confirmed in press releases that it is in fact a 3D interactive ride. I never, ever said anything about it being bad, and never dished a real opinion. I merely think that TSM must be something mind-blowingly awesome to beat out TSR because of the lackluster queue line. I never said anything against the actual ride (which practically no one has ridden yet)

This reeks of trying to make my "Universal is doing things better now" argument look wrong. But, I can tell you with confidence that I have been on every single ride that Disney has recently opened besides TSM...and they still have not wowed me like some of Universal's recent stuff has (Mummy is a very rare exception)...

• Circle of Ancients

^ Are you talking Hollywood??? I see your from Vegas.

No offense, but the only good "Ride" in Hollywood is Jurassic Park, and that's nowhere near new. The rest of the park is shows and the tram. I'm REALLY looking forward to The Simpsons though. I just hope Hollywood doesn't get Queue Lite compared to what were seeing in FL.

Mummy (USH) is okay at best, and worse when compared to florida's version.

Now if your referring to FL, I will agree that the stuff there (Spiderman, Dragons, MIB, Mummy) are awesome. But again, Mummy was what ... 3 years ago?

And for the record, I'm not just a "Disney" geek, I'm actually a "Park" geek and actually really enjoy the universal parks.

Again, I will ask ...

^Hollywood?! What? No! Too bad BTTF closed, but at least Simpsons is coming in to ensure that there still will be three good attractions (TSR, Terminator and Tram Tour [Jurassic's overrated])

Florida all the way, baby. Also, Japan. I've been continually impressed about what they've been pulling off. And, by the way, Simpsons at USH is rumored to have more money poured into it, so although the queue is automatically smaller than Orlando's (sorry, it's just always been like that), we might be getting something extra!

Anyways, my main point is that Disney just doesn't have "it" anymore. TSR is proof of that, as it's a ride that Disney would have put out during the early-to-mid '90s. Nowadays they only seem focused on making C and D ticket rides, and little-to-no E's. If an E's at all, (with the rare exception, again, of Everest) it's a clone. It just makes me mad on how it seems like Imagineers simply aren't trying anymore. I want to believe it with Toy Story Mania, but rumors of it not working properly and the various issues with the queue (that bring back bad memories of Nemo subs)...it kinda makes me lose hope, ya know what I mean?...

• Golden State of Mind

poor Back to the Future

• Pilot EdForceOne

Great... another poster who thinks only E-tickets count and should be built. Wonderful.

Plus, he's totally figured out the entire attraction without ever being on it or knowing all the details of it.

Nothing to see here.. move along.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

I just don't see how one movie based attraction (although well done) makes Universal better than Disney all of the sudden.

Sure, not everything to come out of Disney lately is a home-run. Nemo ... eh, I like EPCOT's supposed "Nemo-Lite" better. Monsters Inc Laugh Floor ... cute, but we've seen this before.

But they still do "Have it" when they are given the time and money to do it. Example: Everest. Example: Japan's Tower.

Unfortunately, WDI isn't always given what they need to wow us.

But even Universal has it's dud's. I mean, the Tram tour is great, but King Kong is 20 years old, Earthquake is old and busted, Tokyo Drift is lame, War of the Worlds was okay the first few times, Bates Motel is ruined because they put the Grinch stuff there (which is faded), the Mummy tunnel is lame because you don't need 2 mummy attractions (it was 3 for awhile) at the same park.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Great... another poster who thinks only E-tickets count and should be built. Wonderful.

Plus, he's totally figured out the entire attraction without ever being on it or knowing all the details of it.

Nothing to see here.. move along.
    I love it when somebody's opinions are different, they try to say "he's just a crazy poster, unlike me, so therefore it nullifies anything he has said". Dude, you got me so wrong. I think C and D, even B and A tickets are necessary. Variety is very important in a theme park. If we had a park full of nothing but E's, no one could relax. Every line would be long and exhausting. It's just that Disney's take on E-tickets as of late as been sparse and tiring. Clone after clone is all we get on that side, and that's why there's been a recent E-ticket outcry.

Plus, when did I ever say I knew everything about Toy Story Mania (the ride portion)? Not once, but I have seen its queue. So have you, I bet. But I never said anything bad about the ride, which I have not ridden. So why are you putting words in my mouth? I'm sorry if you think differently, but there's no reason to ignore the specifics in my post and just run to the conclusion of "He has no idea what he's talking about!"

Just to be clear, I'm not anti-Disney whatsoever. I'm pro-Disney all the way. Just because I say something against it makes me a fool? Okay, whatever...

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Well, I mean Universal Orlando has always been a "WOW" resort. It's sensationally better than Universal Hollywood and has one of the most popular theme parks, Island of Adventure.

In 1990, they opened up with great wow attractions such as JAWS, Earthquake, Kongfrontation, E.T. Adventure and the Ghostbusters Spooktacular.

In 1991, They "wowed" us with Back to the Future.

5 years later in 1996, They wowed us with "Terminator 2: 3D Battle Across Time"

In 1999, they came out with "Islands of Adventure" with blockbuster rides such as Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk Coaster, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Dueling Dragons, Ripsaw Falls, Dr. Doom Fearfall, Bilgerat Barges and Cat in the Hat.

In 2000, they introduced Men in Black dark ride, it is quite impressive for your average dark ride.

In 2004, Revenge of the Mummy "wowed" the hell out of us.

And in 2008, Im sure "The Simpsons Ride" will wow us as well.

Sure, there have been some misses such Fear Factor Live, Nicktoons Blast, Shrek 4D and Twister: Ride it Out.

Still to come is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Hollywood Rockit Coaster but who knows if those will have the same impact.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Goofy

Of course it does. The only way TSM will beat, uh, TSR (weird, ain't it?) is if Disney puts some thought into the queue, and the ride works exactly like it's supposed to. Currently, over at DCA at least, all I see is a concrete jungle with a inconveniently-placed Potato Head AA and some pretty Victorian buildings. Yawn. Meanwhile, (and I'll say this again) The Simpsons Ride has a 30-minute queue video along with two pre-shows, all the while there's stuff surrounding you with the sole intention of making you laugh and entertaining you. That's going above and beyond. Yes, no one really has seen Toy Story Mania, but I've seen its queue, and it ain't impressive...
    I love the fact that while you wait in lines you will be watching the simpsons on tv. and being entertain with a pre show. that is just awesome.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    If Disney had come up with "WOW" type rides, I wouldn't be slipping away from them.
    I'm not sure of your definition of wow, but I'm willing to bet my left nut this ride won't be close to Expidition Everest. Call it a hunch.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast