Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Simpson Ride Soft Opens at Universal Orlando!

Expidition Everest is an impressive facade (and queue) with no substance behind it. Quite possibly the most overrated attraction ever. Your left nut is in jeopardy.
    That said, I haven't the slightest clue why were making all these comparisons between two attractions that haven't officially opened yet. They aren't even similar in any way.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    That said, I haven't the slightest clue why were making all these comparisons between two attractions that haven't officially opened yet. They aren't even similar in any way.

Agreed.

But either Golden(dreams)State5 has a point that Disney hasn't wowed us in awhile or we have matured too much in a way that is impossible to wow us any more.

And sadly, Disney hasn't wowed us since 1995 as far as attractions go... in CA. But it really is because there's a lot of other theme parks in Southern California -- but NONE of them have a competitive edge.

If you look at Universal in Hollywood, they barely have any rides at all. When they open one, they need to close one first. They HAVE to put all of their eggs in this one basket. This time the basket is The Simpsons. And it will be the only basket in Universal Hollywood for many more years.

Disneyland Resort on the other hand has several baskets and they're spread out all over the place. But the question still stands... why hasn't Disney wowed us in recent memory (disneyland only)? Well, we can blame the management for that I suppose. But we can't say that Toy Story Mania won't wow us based only on its lacking queue right now. It's intent was not to wow in that way. With a property like The Simpsons, they are allowed certain exceptions to go over the top, and that's what they have done.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Expidition Everest is an impressive facade (and queue) with no substance behind it. Quite possibly the most overrated attraction ever. Your left nut is in jeopardy.
    EE is quite possibly the best Disney ride made since IJA. THat's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    EE is quite possibly the best Disney ride made since IJA.
    Unfortunately. But again, why are we discussing Disney attractions in a Simpsons thread?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Unfortunately. But again, why are we discussing Disney attractions in a Simpsons thread?
    Sometimes threads take turns. At this point people are comparing some Universal Rides to Disney. This is exactly what Universal wants to happen.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And sadly, Disney hasn't wowed us since 1995 as far as attractions go... in CA. But it really is because there's a lot of other theme parks in Southern California -- but NONE of them have a competitive edge.
    If were talking Disneyland only, I'd have to agree with you 1,000 percent. Sure there are great attractions that have some sort of "Wow" factor (Soarin') but nothing mind-blowing. I think the closest thing Disneyland has had to a Wow since Indy is the fireworks show. And how sad is that?

WDW, it's a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    EE is quite possibly the best Disney ride made since IJA. THat's my opinion.
    Agreed

As for discussing rides in a thread about The Simpsons, when the comparison starts regarding a ride that's not even open yet, it's inevitable.

I also agree with Coheteboy's assessment of Universal Hollywood. They have a show arena that's been closed since when (Western Stunt Show), Mummy Lite, Backdraft is HOW old, Fear Facter (yawn), etc.

Even with that, I do like the place. But it's NOT a full day park.

Unfortunately this is the way it's always been, and always will be.

I just wish they'd update the tour and not through the new "Theme Park Queen" Whoopie and Access Hollywood in there. Give us an updated earthquake and Kong, update the Mummy Tunnel, get rid of the Grinch stuff, etc.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    ^Hollywood?! What? No! Too bad BTTF closed, but at least Simpsons is coming in to ensure that there still will be three good attractions (TSR, Terminator and Tram Tour [Jurassic's overrated])

Florida all the way, baby. Also, Japan. I've been continually impressed about what they've been pulling off. And, by the way, Simpsons at USH is rumored to have more money poured into it, so although the queue is automatically smaller than Orlando's (sorry, it's just always been like that), we might be getting something extra!

Anyways, my main point is that Disney just doesn't have "it" anymore. TSR is proof of that, as it's a ride that Disney would have put out during the early-to-mid '90s. Nowadays they only seem focused on making C and D ticket rides, and little-to-no E's. If an E's at all, (with the rare exception, again, of Everest) it's a clone. It just makes me mad on how it seems like Imagineers simply aren't trying anymore. I want to believe it with Toy Story Mania, but rumors of it not working properly and the various issues with the queue (that bring back bad memories of Nemo subs)...it kinda makes me lose hope, ya know what I mean?...
    I love it when somebody's opinions are different, they try to say "he's just a crazy poster, unlike me, so therefore it nullifies anything he has said". Dude, you got me so wrong.
    Well then your own posts have you wrong too.. not 3 posts above you complain that all they do is build the mid-range attractions lately. Well guess what... you can't replace all the attractions at once so I really don't know what you are expecting. Replace all the E-tickets and ignore everything else?

It's just that Disney's take on E-tickets as of late as been sparse and tiring. Clone after clone is all we get on that side, and that's why there's been a recent E-ticket outcry.
    Unless you are a park hopper throughout the parks around the world - really what does having a cloned attraction take from you? Nothing. If its a solid attraction that you enjoy, do you really enjoy it less because you know there is another version of it somewhere in the world? Really? To me that is just trying to be a critic rather then actually going to the parks to be entertained.

The only place there has been an 'e-ticket outcry' is simply in the MK @ WDW. That place hasn't seen any significant updates in quite some time. You generalize Disney when its for your advantage and then laser focus when its not to your advantage.

Plus, when did I ever say I knew everything about Toy Story Mania (the ride portion)? Not once, but I have seen its queue. So have you, I bet. But I never said anything bad about the ride, which I have not ridden. So why are you putting words in my mouth?
    If you really think seeing the pictures from Darkbeer and others constitutes seeing everything there is to the queue - then stick to that. You are claiming total knowledge of the attraction - you've seen all there is to see.

You're also hoping between DCA and Orlando - again as it seems fit. Ever consider the attraction in DHS may be entirely different queue wise then DCA? Compare Nemo subs in DL to the Nemo attraction in EPCOT. Same 'generation' of Disney imagineering - totally different focus on the amount of effort put into the pre-show and queue. Really - there is nothing out there today to base a claim of knowing or understanding the entire attraction for Toy Story. We know the ride system, we know the concept of the interaction (yet none of us have experienced it), and we know the building exteriors. That's about it. The fact we can see load or unload at DCA really doesn't tell you very much at all... except DLR still thinks queues and preshow aren't as important as they should be.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Based on what? Were you expecting it to be one of the most thrilling coasters ever? It's a Disney Coaster - its never going to be the fastest, tallest, steepest, etc. What EE brings is a balance... of story, environment, ride system, and excitement. It's the same formula that has made the coasters like BTMRR and SpaceM so durable and sustaining. EE strikes that balance so well - that's what makes it so worthy of its praise.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Not to mention ... Universal Clones attractions as well ...

Mummy
    The Simpsons
    T2:3D
    Earthquake (to an extent)
    ET (before it was removed)
    Shrek 4D
    Jurassic Park
    Fear Factor

And that's only the US parks. I know Japan has some clones too.

So really, again looking at Hollywood, the ONLY things that are truly unique to that park are Waterworld and the Tram Tour, and even all of that's not unique.

How sad is that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Based on what? Were you expecting it to be one of the most thrilling coasters ever? It's a Disney Coaster - its never going to be the fastest, tallest, steepest, etc. What EE brings is a balance... of story, environment, ride system, and excitement. It's the same formula that has made the coasters like BTMRR and SpaceM so durable and sustaining. EE strikes that balance so well - that's what makes it so worthy of its praise.

Exactly. You want a barebones rollercoaster made for thrills? Go to Six Flags, they can accommodate you. EE is by far Disney's best effort and best ride they've made since Indy, and the theming adds to the whole experience. And if that drop in the middle didn't at least make you scream or smile, then there's something wrong with you.

• Circle of Ancients

My 59 year old mother in-law loves it, my 11 and 10 year old love it.

Say what you will, but that's an awesome thing.

BTW, I was referring to Everest.

Had a nice long sleep. Coming back to this thread, and it's gone to defending Everest? Um, okay.

Well then your own posts have you wrong too.. not 3 posts above you complain that all they do is build the mid-range attractions lately. Well guess what... you can't replace all the attractions at once so I really don't know what you are expecting. Replace all the E-tickets and ignore everything else?
    But...they do. Your original post said that I only want E-tickets built. I don't. I just want one wow-factor original E-ticket made. With the pre-show, theming, slick detail and thumbs-up ride quality that Universal has recently shown us they are capable of doing. (once again, I will remind everyone that this is mostly in Florida and excludes Mummy to a certain extent)

The only place there has been an 'e-ticket outcry' is simply in the MK @ WDW. That place hasn't seen any significant updates in quite some time. You generalize Disney when its for your advantage and then laser focus when its not to your advantage.
    Have you BEEN to Disneyland lately? They need it baaaad. And no "I-just-waited-in-a-boring-four-hour-queue-to-see-a-jumbled-mess-of-show-scenes-in-an-attempt-to-gain-nostalgia" revived submarine counts.

If you really think seeing the pictures from Darkbeer and others constitutes seeing everything there is to the queue - then stick to that. You are claiming total knowledge of the attraction - you've seen all there is to see.

You're also hoping between DCA and Orlando - again as it seems fit. Ever consider the attraction in DHS may be entirely different queue wise then DCA? Compare Nemo subs in DL to the Nemo attraction in EPCOT. Same 'generation' of Disney imagineering - totally different focus on the amount of effort put into the pre-show and queue. Really - there is nothing out there today to base a claim of knowing or understanding the entire attraction for Toy Story. We know the ride system, we know the concept of the interaction (yet none of us have experienced it), and we know the building exteriors. That's about it. The fact we can see load or unload at DCA really doesn't tell you very much at all... except DLR still thinks queues and preshow aren't as important as they should be.
    Okay, this is a real argument. See what we can do when we deal with people constructively instead of jumping to conclusions and dismissing them? You might gain their respect, which is what you did here. You are absolutely correct about the so-called "Nemo Lite". I was shocked after riding the Subs in DLR that I liked that version better. It does the queue great, and I'm hoping that TSM in Orlando may do the queue better than DCA. But since people are defending TSMM (the DCA version) in its queue, I'm pretty sure they're wrong about its queue. You are right on the money that DLR does not think queues and pre-show are important, when they should realize it NOW. WDW still has it, but I don't think to the exact extent that Universal does. I would still appreciate Everest so much more if it had a proper pre-show along with that fantastic queue. The story would just become much more alive...

• Circle of Ancients

But...they do. Your original post said that I only want E-tickets built. I don't. I just want one wow-factor original E-ticket made. With the pre-show, theming, slick detail and thumbs-up ride quality that Universal has recently shown us they are capable of doing. (once again, I will remind everyone that this is mostly in Florida and excludes Mummy to a certain extent)
    Other than Mummy and now Simpsons they haven't had anything new since 2000 (MIB). So I don't know where this lately stuff is all coming from.

I would have counted Mummy (USF), but since your leaving that out, I'll do the same.

And for the record, I absolutely LOVE IOA and USF and they are my 5th and 6th favorite parks behind EPCOT, Disneyland, DAK and MK.

Blog Entries

I'm as big of a Universal fan as anyone, but I really want to know where all this much better than Disney thing came from. Sure Simpsons looks great, but its not better than everything Disney's ever done.

Lets look at the rest of their rides. I like the mummy, but for the most part (while themed) the queue is rather boring. Its an amazing ride, one of my favorites, but it really doesn't make any sense smack dab in the middle of New York. What else have they done amazing? Shrek? Jimmy? Cat in the Hat? Jurassic Park? Hulk? All these are basically just some basic switchbacks with some slight theming or video running. I love Universal and it really seems that Universal may have knocked this out of the park (although its still a simulator which kills re-ridability to me) but I can't say that overall they're so much better than Disney at theming. Heck, just look at the awful concept for the coaster they're putting in USF next year. Ugh.

^They're better at presenting their rides than Disney, i.e. giving you the whole experience. How many Disney rides tick you off by having the queue line stretch out into the park, winding around nothing of interest, and only catapult you into the story once you're on the ride. Universal at least attempts to entertain you during the queue. Disney hasn't wowed that much since the early '90s and Universal, well, has with IOA, MIB, Mummy Orlando is at least better than Hollywood, even their Earthquake refurb has a overall feeling of completeness, with some really cool effects. And now Simpsons. Disney hasn't shown such a consistent care for their new rides in a while...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast