Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Universal Japan's "Magical Starlight Parade" review

Ichigopara.. you really should give USJ a chance, and bring the Mr. and little one too. The parade is fun fun fun and I think the little one will love the characters and shows aimed at the kids, and this parade for sure. USJ (unlike USF and USH) do aim to be as much like TDR as possible, therefore their park is very enjoyable and extremely clean...which is something I can't say for their Florida property. I should bring you USJ brochures next time I see you.

• Minion

Wish Universal would draw more on its own heritage...like the Spielberg films, Back to the Future, Fievel, etc and affiliated characters like Shrek...rather than trying to use characters more commonly associated w/ Disney. Don't think this parade would work quite as well stateside since people associate its characters so strongly w/ Disney.

BTW...anyone have any idea whether Potter will make it to USJ? That would really take the park to the next level. They could build on the plot of land land behind the Waterworld show area..or even include the latter area since it is a bit outdated.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

I have not heard anything about Potter coming to USJ. I would not mind seeing Potter replace the Waterwater show for good.

Blog Entries

A couple of thoughts, I'll start with the negative and then the positive.

It's a bit weird seeing what are traditionally considered Disney characters in a Universal parade. As others have said, I don't think that would go over well stateside. There is a lot they could pull from however from their own catalogue.

That is pretty much all I have negative to say. The parade itself is phenominal and would work well in pretty much any Disney park worldwide. It definitely blows away anything WDW has ever put out. I'd love to see Universal in Orlando bring something of this quality to its parks to really challenge Disney to step up.

One other thought. Why did they choose to use English on all the floats over Japanese? Is there a cultural issue for that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

TDLFAN, thank you for that detailed review and for those terrific videos! Wow. Like others have posted, seeing those characters at a non-Disney park took a little getting used to, but the results are pretty wonderful. I really need to find a way to Japan to visit both TDR and USJ. The entertainment offerings over there look top-notch!

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

Excellent review TDLFAN! When I got to the end of your review, you thoroughly convinced me to check out the first Youtube video. After watching the first video, I had to check out the next one, too. As others have posted, this surely was a nice surprise coming from Universal Studios Japan. Kudos to them for creating a beautiful nighttime parade.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    One other thought. Why did they choose to use English on all the floats over Japanese? Is there a cultural issue for that?
    Well, at both USJ and TDL, much of the signage is in English. The view being that it allows guests to feel like they have travelled half way across the world without leaving their own country. There is a Danish style themepark in Japan where much of the signage is danish as well.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Well, at both USJ and TDL, much of the signage is in English. The view being that it allows guests to feel like they have travelled half way across the world without leaving their own country. There is a Danish style themepark in Japan where much of the signage is danish as well.
    Similarly.. you will find Parque Espana in Shima JP between Osaka and Nagoya and being a Spain (Spanish style) park, the signage is found in spanish, english and japanese.

Didn't watch the entire video ... but from what I saw ... and your review (and I do trust your judgments) this looks like a real winner.

I have to admit the biggest surprise was that it existed at all. I have been keeping an eye on Universal Parks a lot of late (especially the amazing resort going up in Singapore, which I hope will be open in time for my 2010 visit) ... but never heard a thing about this parade until you mentioned it.

Does it run nightly? Year round or seasonal?

I agree with many here about the choice of characters being a bit 'odd' as many are more associated with Disney (and I always view Snoopy as Knott's ... can't help it) but who cares? This blows away SpectroTragic.

I wonder if this is something that we'd see at other UNI parks in the future (although I am not convinced Dubai is happening at all despite the fact they have one whole structure with the uNI logo up).

Thanks again.

As I have mentioned on another magical site, there is no one out there that has the breadth of knowledge as to what's going on with Disney AND Universal's international parks and resorts as you.

You are one of a kind!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Hey, we know TDLFAN is good, but don't swell his head! Indeed it has been too long since we have sat down and caught up together to discuss international parks.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Oh please. let him swell my head. Wait, that does not sound like it's intended.

But WDW1974... I have not kept up with this lately and do not know how often the parade is playing. You can always check their USJ site online for that information.

• Banned User

USJ has posted parade video, photo gallery and wallpaper to download. Very good HD quality lets you see the lovely details of the parade and floats.

マジカル スターライト パレード|USJ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Looks like the original links aren't working so here is the parade, in three parts:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnJxyRaGuo"]YouTube - The Magical StarLight Parade (Universal Studios Japan) PART-1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYVoUIYlvhE&annotation_id=annotation_98288 8&feature=iv"]YouTube - The Magical StarLight Parade (Universal Studios Japan) PART-2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIeLBNXIF0&annotation_id=annotation_40219 7&feature=iv"]YouTube - The Magical StarLight Parade (Universal Studios Japan) PART-3[/ame]

And you know what, after only seeing this on video, I think I like it better than DL's most recent version of Disney's Electrical Parade. Sadly, Disneyland Resort just isn't keeping up with other similar theme parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12