Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Universal Japan's ET To Be Replaced By Anime Themed Spinning Coaster

ET, call home. Looks like your stay has worn out it's welcome at Universal Japan.

I really don't care much for anime. Still I'm greatly pleased at the rumored possibility of a Maurer-Sohne Spinning Coaster system based ride making it's way to the park. Much as I have loved ET, it was time for it to go at USH, and now the momment will apparently soon be upon us at USJ as well.

With respect to it's growing number of ride themes and ride systems, Universal seems to continuously be getting more competitive these days.

Source: Screamscape
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Universal Japan's ET To Be Replaced By Anime Themed Spinning Coaster

A spinning coaster themed to anime?! Meh, that's not what Universal Studios is about... any word on just what "anime" this is? It'd at least be based on a classic rather than some of the newer bad stuff... man, I miss E.T. already...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    A spinning coaster themed to anime?! Meh, that's not what Universal Studios is about... any word on just what "anime" this is? It'd at least be based on a classic rather than some of the newer bad stuff... man, I miss E.T. already...
    Let's just hope it's not Sailor Moon, Skip. That would so reak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Maurer-Sohne
    It'll open about a year after it's scheduled to.

Universal's done cartoon-based attractions before. I don't see how this is any different from Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
    Universal's done cartoon-based attractions before. I don't see how this is any different from Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast.
    Jimmy Neutron took the place of the dated Hanna-Barbara, which was also a cartoon-based attraction, in a very small space that couldn't be used for much. We're talking about E.T. here, Universal's Peter Pan's Flight for god's sakes, and replacing it with a stinkin spinning coaster based on some flavor-of-the-month anime. Dissappointing.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

This certainly is a weird rumor. But I guess...good for USJ. Maybe? I don't know. I has to be better than getting the Mummy.

I wonder if these new license deals are being pursued now under the new private ownership?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Jimmy Neutron took the place of the dated Hanna-Barbara, which was also a cartoon-based attraction, in a very small space that couldn't be used for much. We're talking about E.T. here, Universal's Peter Pan's Flight for god's sakes, and replacing it with a stinkin spinning coaster based on some flavor-of-the-month anime. Dissappointing.
    You make a significant point, here. An upgraded makeover of E.T. would have made far more sense. Although, I like the idea of Universal Japan having a spinning coaster. My wish list would include both an E.T. upgrade plus a spinning coaster (minus the arguably cheesy anime).

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    This certainly is a weird rumor. But I guess...good for USJ. Maybe? I don't know. I has to be better than getting the Mummy.

I wonder if these new license deals are being pursued now under the new private ownership?
    Anime sounds like the type of franchise that an obscure private owner would cut a deal for.

• Banned User

A spinning coaster themed to anime?! Meh, that's not what Universal Studios is about... .
    That is what Universal is about in Japan. Sorry, but in a park where Hello Kitty and the Sesame Street gang reigns supreme alongside the better known Universal characters, an anime based attraction makes sense, especially when geared to the japanese audience, and not the americans.

• Crazy Furry

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    That is what Universal is about in Japan. Sorry, but in a park where Hello Kitty and the Sesame Street gang reigns supreme alongside the better known Universal characters, an anime based attraction makes sense, especially when geared to the japanese audience, and not the americans.
    Exactly, one of the best things a park can do is cater to their audience. If Universal and Disney stuck with only american things in their parks in Japan, then the parks would run into a lot of trouble.

On the upside, the results can be very nice...and it can be a feature that the park can proudly say it's theirs and theirs alone.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    A spinning coaster better than Mummy? Not likely. This sounds like a C-ticket attraction.

While I can understand that anime is obviously popular in Japan, it's been established that E.T. is also incredibly popular over there... hence the hour+ long lines for its tribute! Seems like a waste to tear out such an elaborate E-Ticket attraction, based on a film that is very popular with the Japanese, and replace it with a spinning coaster just seems dissappointing to me...

But I guess they still haven't actually announced what it is... I should withhold judgement.

A friend told me that it would not be a Maurer-Sohne spinning coaster, which would cause a nightmare capacity worst than even Crush Coaster at WDS. Crush Coaster get 45-90 minutes wait, without fast pass to slow things down, when the park is dead!

Instead, USJ seems to have gone with Mack and their spinning coaster, like Sierra Sidewinder. The result would be a dark ride/coaster hybrid like ROTM. No word on if it will have a launch, but Mack now offers a launch system. Its a better move than the Maurer-Sohne spinning coaster, since it uses 16 passengers trains and capacity would be similar to Hollywood Dream and ROTM.

• Minion

I thought the E.T. ride was already closed in USJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast