Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs up Universal Japan/Pan's Neverland/Harmony Parade- PHOTOS!!!

Hello everyone... a couple of weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of visiting one of Japan's finest theme parks, besides TDR of course... and that would be UNIVERSAL STUDIOS JAPAN, which has just started celebrating their 5th anniversary, with a celebration that includes festive decor, new merchandise, a new land (OZ) to be opening this summer and two (2) brand new entertainment shows... "Happy Harmony Celebration-5th Anniversary Special" a fabulous high energy song and dance streetacular (reminicing of DCA's Party Bash), and the nightime spectacular "Peter Pan's Neverland", a new lagoon show. This production was the primary reason of my visit.

On the day of my visit, USJ was very very busy. But not to the point of closing it's doors which happens often during holidays and high season. The park is lovingly decorated for their 5th anniversary in elegant purples and grey tones. Maintenance here has been stunning, almost ...or equal to TDR's maintenance quality and that is quite a compliment in my humble opinion. USJ also offer more street performances and side shows than any other park I have visited recently. More than TDL, more than TDS and certainly more than the rest. At least 15 different groups of performers can be seen doing their shows around the park at any given time. That is great and adds tremendous value to the price of admission at USJ, which is the same as TDR's passports. No news of an increase there yet as will be the case with TDR in July.

For most of the afternoon when I was there... I dedicated myself to see the new shows and window shop, or try some of the food choices around the park... such as the delightfully tasty Chocolate churros in Amity Village.

The big surprise of the day was "Happy Harmony Celebration" streetacular. A very energetic high voltage dance and song show performed in the New York area. The show brings together the most popular franchises in the park... together for a rocking romp of major proportions... Hello Kitty, Sesame Street gang, Peanuts gang and the characters from Shrek. This show rocks.. begins in high gear and does not let up for 25 minutes, culminating in a spectacular 5th anniversary salute that brough a tear to my eyes. It was Disney quality and worthy of the generous photo exposure I gave to it in this pictorial.

Then there is the "piece du resistance", the creme de la creme, USJ's nightime show "Peter Pan's Neverland". The show is immensily popular and quite difficult to watch, for reasons I will mention in a moment. But first, I have to admit I was totally oblivious about this show and took the time to watch the live action Universal film from 2 yrs ago...which is supposed to be the inspiration for this show... But frankly, I was still lost as a lost boy as I watched the show. Primarily because it is all in Japanese, and also because it doesn't seem to follow the story at all. If I was to guess... this Peter Pan story has a new take on the tale.... One that appears to go like this (for what I could grasp)... Wendy is grown up and has a daughter. Peter Pan pays her a visit but find Wendy grown up. WEndy then is forced to explain to her daughter about Peter Pan and her visit to Neverland... Seems the show becomes a flashback at this point as we re-live Wendy and Peter's trials and tribulations in Neverland.. including their dreaded encounter with Captain Hook. From this point on.. I was totally lost in the show... but all the elements from the novel are here... the indian tribe, the lost boys, Tinkerbell... etc etc. The show appears to end once we return to the beginning of the story and Wendy allows her daughter to go off to Neverland with Peter and have her own adventure.
    Before the show begins.. we are treated to the music from Universal's motion picture score, same one we hear during the closing credits of the live movie a couple of years ago. So I offer my apologies if the captions in the photos do not make sense since, I had to guess some of what the show's plot was like, and I am still not sure if I am correct.

To my surprise... a good 75% of the show is acted on the stage. The lighting and effects are quite good, and so is the sound thru the show. The actors interact with pyro in some scenes and that kept the show interesting to watch, even if I was lost in the plot. However... once Peter takes to the skies towards the climax of the story... the gasps from the audience are genuine. If you ever saw Tink take to the skies above DL's Sleeping Beauty Castle.. you know what the feeling is like... Pure glee.

Now, the criticism... The show takes place in the New York corner of the lagoon and does not encompass the entire lagoon area. This reduces the audience area to a very small portion of land by the lagoon. Universal did build a new multi-level area over the water at the edge of the lagoon to accomodate those who pay for the nice viewing area... So here is a hint: GET THERE EARLY IN THE MORNING AND BUY THE "NEVERLAND CHECK IN PASS". It costs only Y500 and will allow you access to the best viewing area of the show. I hated to pay extra for the benefit but it was all worth it!! Concidering how badly set up the audience area is behind the preffered seating spots (with multiple things blocking the view etc etc..) you will be very glad you paid for the chance to seat in the dead center of the stage. It was the only way I could take these pictures for you as it would have been impossible to do if I was in the "cheap" seats.. which do not feature seats at all... nor does it have an inclined floor to allow those in the back a better view. So again: BUY THE NEVERLAND CHECK IN PASS. But you must get there as early as possible at park's opening time, as these prefered seating passes go quickly and the prefered viewing space is limited. See the photo in the album to get an idea.

BUT!!!....The work is not done even after you have bought a Check In pass for the show... NOTE! prefered seating areas open 2 hrs before show time... If you want to have the best view possible.. be there 2-3 hrs before showtime so you can claim you prefered viewing area spot early as soon as they start allowing guests in. Trust me... you won't be the only one in line waiting to get into the prefered area 3 hrs before showtime. That is better than some people waiting 6 hrs by the rail behind prefered seating to get a good view...
    I can only compare this to the earlier days of Fantasmic! at DL. Remember having to wait to get the best spots by the Rivers of America??? Well... same here for "Neverland". One more thing... wanna get in the fun and participate in the show??? Buy one of the lightup clapper hands sold in the gift shops... as several times during the show.. Peter asks for help and the audience gets into the act by clapping these colorful light hands... Please don't ask me about this... I am clueless about it. All in all... I can honestly give this show a decent rate and recommend it, and if you speak Japanese, more power to you since the audience reaction at this end was quite loud and positive.

Without further ado... I now invite you to enjoy the photo album from my day at USJ...with captions that add a bit more explanation to what I already covered here. So I hope you enjoy this pictorial.
    Thanks.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32196732&f=
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-29-2006 at 10:18 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Universal Japan/Pan's Neverland/Harmony Parade- PHOTOS!!!

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=74264972&f=0
    Is that bridge an in park prop/set or is that from Osaka outside the park?

I do have to say, one thing that irks me about this park is that the official USJ hotels are visible from all over the inside of the park. Not a design I am a fan of.

No Jurrassic Park photos?

• Banned User

Can i go now... lol I love the park's look... and adding a unique new land before USF.. brilliant..

(Someone is spreading a rumor of a Mummy ride coming to USJ in a few years.. lol.. dont see where..)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=74264972&f=0
    Is that bridge an in park prop/set or is that from Osaka outside the park?
    Sadly yes, it is a real bridge outside of the park, and that is just about the only gripe I have about USJ.. That darn huge bridge and road that towers above the park's west side. It just destroys the view and the atmosphere, which is sad because the theming here is so nice.
    You can see how the bridge and road tower over USJ on this other photo...
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...732&p=74264991
    I do have to say, one thing that irks me about this park is that the official USJ hotels are visible from all over the inside of the park. Not a design I am a fan of.
    That never bothered me at all, and kinda reminds me of Universal Hollywood, where tall hotel buildings can be seen from inside the park as well.

No Jurrassic Park photos?
    No, sorry. I didn't really spend a lot of time there on this visit. Other areas not pictured in my album...Amity Ville, WaterWorld area, and Central Park.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    (Someone is spreading a rumor of a Mummy ride coming to USJ in a few years.. lol.. dont see where..)
    Well I have heard this rumor about USH, but if it did come to USJ... I get the feeling "WaterWorld" area and show would probably be removed to make way for it.

As for your comments in regards to adding a unique land... the funny thing is, the removed a very unique USJ area, Old West, to make room for Land of OZ. Go figure.

• Still lost in Neverland

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures. I am so glad to see the ones from the Peter Pan show. Neat stuff. And no wonder you love this park so much. It is beautiful compared to the American parks in Hollywood and Orlando. I wish I could go. Is Oz going to be a big land, or just another area, or do you know? Thanks for everthing, I really do like the look of this Park except for the things you have already mentioned.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Well I have heard this rumor about USH, but if it did come to USJ... I get the feeling "WaterWorld" area and show would probably be removed to make way for it.
    So USH would have two Mummy rides?

And yes, thank you very much for the pictures.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Sadly yes, it is a real bridge outside of the park, and that is just about the only gripe I have about USJ.. That darn huge bridge and road that towers above the park's west side. It just destroys the view and the atmosphere, which is sad because the theming here is so nice.
    You can see how the bridge and road tower over USJ on this other photo...
    Yuck. Too bad it couldn't have been put to use in theme...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    So USH would have two Mummy rides?

And yes, thank you very much for the pictures.
    OOPS!! You are correct. I got confused there for a moment... the rumors I have heard about USH are that either SPIDERMAN the ride or a Zorro show may take Waterworld's place. Sorry for my error.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Love the pics TDLFAN ,and managment at both USF and USH should be taking notes.A parade what a concept.But wouldn't work out in the States would it hey!

Just to add to your rumours about USH,ScreamScape.com is reporting Universal management want to first add a few enhancements to the park experience,instead of adding a new E Ticket attraction.Im ok for this happening but could we actually be seeing a situation here where Universal/NBC are no longer interested in spending money on big addition attractions due to cost!

I went to Universal Hollywood yesterday and the changes are already starting. There will be many small changes made on the tour first, some of which are already there. I posted a trip report in the thread on Universal Studios new additions thread. It can be found HERE.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Your photos are really amazing! Obviously you have a powerful zoom. Were you also using a tripod? The pictures are so clear.

That show looks wonderful and the effect of Peter and Peter and Wendy's daughter flying is something else. If only we could have something like that stateside.

The only problem is that the show is only done once a day, and at night. Universal Hollywood closes around 8 even during the summer, and to have that whole area sit unused during the day, would not go over well at all with the guests and the management who would only see a wasted space during the day. I would love to see it here as well, with an American cast and in English of course, but where could they do it other than Water World, and that's not going anywhere soon. They just don't have the space and NBC doesn't really want to invest a lot of money in Theme Parks. It's a good thing they don't have controlling interest in the Japan Park just like Disney doesn't in Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas. That's also why the Japan Parks for both companies are so clean and neat as well. That is part of the Japanese culture.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Vehicle rotating backward

Brilliant photos as usual. Some OT rambling in responses to your captions below:

He'll be back, and out of office by November.
    Unhappy to say it, but not at this rate.

Gays rejoice!! Your rainbow leads to this new area!
    This may not be the right place to ask (actually, it's definitely not, but since you "get it" I'll ask in your thread), but what is it about these two concepts that go together like chocolate and peanut butter? My out friend (who doesn't follow any of the obvious stereotyped traits) had no idea and has never watched the whole movie from beginning to end even once, while the closet dwellers would prefer I not press them on something like that. PM me if you'd rather share the answer privately rather than an exposition here.

Sesame Street.... CTW is selling out to the theme parks industry?! I'm kind disappointed in that. I guess it's no more commercialized than their children's books, but at least those teach kids reading skills.

The roof over Hollywood Blvd is eerily pretty at night.

Peter Pan show, seems ok....

TDLFAN, since you're in Japan quite often, do you ever indulge in the less-than-spectacular Japanese parks? I know there's some real disaster zones out there, maybe a dump tour would be something new? I don't mean to track progress on them like you do at TDR, I just mean for a guilty pleasure and amusement. Being a stickler for quality, perhaps this is like asking a lion if he's ever tried a salad diet, but it seems you're well-traveled in Japan.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    but what is it about these two concepts that go together like chocolate and peanut butter?
    It's gays little secret. No heteros allowed to know.

The roof over Hollywood Blvd is eerily pretty at night.
    They light it up green for the Xmas season.

Peter Pan show, seems ok....
    The photos don't do justice to it. But that is only my opinion.

do you ever indulge in the less-than-spectacular Japanese parks?
    Only ... Parque Espana in Shima, and Sanrio Puroland in west Tokyo, and Expoland in Osaka. The first two...Not Disney quality but decent parks in their own right. Expoland is so-so. Like a bad 6 flags.

• Banned User

Wink Re: Universal Japan/Pan's Neverland/Harmony Parade- PHOTOS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Sesame Street.... CTW is selling out to the theme parks industry?! I'm kind disappointed in that. I guess it's no more commercialized than their children's books, but at least those teach kids reading skills.
    They do have a license on an american themepark in pensuvania.. owned and operated oddly enough by Busch Entertaignment.. lol They just made a deal for universal in japan for characters and the movie used at seseme place.. (Busch gardens Africa Tampa brought all the seseme characters from a stage show at the park down for a winter season...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast