Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hotel near WDW and Universal Studios?

Can anyone recommend a low cost but respectable hotel or suites that's situated between WDW and Universal Studios? I'm hoping to go down for both Mickey's Halloween Party and Universal's Halloween Nights. Thanks.

• Banned User

Re: Hotel near WDW and Universal Studios?

Tough question to answer because 99% of those posting here are in the "we stay on WDW property to get the whole experience" crowd and probably have never even been to Universal... right Summer?

However, it would be helpful to tell us how much you are willing to pay. But for starters...
    I would avoid avoid avoid International Drive hotels, and if you must stay in that area... get any of the hotels closer to Sea World's end. The Clarion, Peabody are excellent choices... and I would even recommend the Stouffers across from Sea World. However.... since you are interested in going to Universal's Horror Nights (and trust me, they are horrific due to the out of control crowds) I would most definitely recommend staying at the Pacific resort or Hard Rock Cafe locations inside Universal as they will provide you with front of the line access to all haunted mazes during HHNs and will definitely make your visit to Universal much more enjoyable. AS for WDW... makes no difference where you stay, really. You can always enjoy the parks... and Extra Magic Hours is not worth paying more to be on-property.
    I would also recommend some of the hotels closer to the Premium Outlet area by DTD, like those operated by Marriott ar the corner of I-4 and 535, however... the traffic there is horrendous almost all of the day.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Good suggestions TDLFAN...also keep in mind that you can stay at Disney's Value Resorts. The 2 parks are only about 15 minutes away from each other if you use the back road. Palm Pkwy runs from just about the entrance of Walt Disney World Resorts to Universal....

• Golden State of Mind

gaylord
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I would suggest staying on Palm Parkway. It is about 1 mile from Downtown Disney and a straight shot of about 5 miles to Universal Studios (as palm parkway turns into Turkey Lake Road, and that boarders the back of UO).

There is a hampton Inn there, and some other smaller properties that are nice and clean.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I would also recommend some of the hotels closer to the Premium Outlet area by DTD, like those operated by Marriott at the corner of I-4 and 535, however... the traffic there is horrendous almost all of the day.
    Yeah the traffic there is terrible. Just trying to get out onto 535 after visiting the outlet mall can take forever.

• Banned User

I never visit the Outlets... it's such a touristy trap and I am dismayed you actually go there Aimster... not good.

Gaylord
    Excellent resort but not within the area the poster wanted to be at.

Good suggestions TDLFAN...also keep in mind that you can stay at Disney's Value Resorts.
    I am sorry, but I can't recommend the value resorts on Disney property. I find them cheap and tacky and geared towards the low end crowd. Like living in a psychodelic version of the projects in the Bronx. No way.

Hey! I stay at the value resorts (well, Pop Century). Are you calling me low end?

• Banned User

Actually I was referring to the All-Stars. I actually like the Pop century but would not stay there either. Besides, I could never call you low end.. (you like Chandu, enough said about your good taste!) But let's face it, the reason why WDW opened the economy hotels is to stick it to the similarly priced operations off property who yes, tend to cater to a lower budget crowd.

Well.... true. I would honestly like to see less "white trash" around when I'm there.

• Banned User

You may get your wish soon... have you seen how much they charge to park a trailer in the main parking lot lately???

Thankfully no. But we had a motorhome when I was a kid (a big 30' one). I always begged my dad to stay at Fort Wilderness when we came to WDW on vacation but he never did. I remember we stayed at a real nice campground near WDW back in 1987 but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It had some kind of Asian/Oriental them to it I think but I hell it was over 20 years ago and my brain is slowly melting.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    Can anyone recommend a low cost but respectable hotel or suites that's situated between WDW and Universal Studios? I'm hoping to go down for both Mickey's Halloween Party and Universal's Halloween Nights. Thanks.
    If you're driving to Orlando just stop at a Orlando Visitor's Center and grab one of them coupon booklets so you can get an even cheaper hotel room. But if you're trying to make reservations for certain days for a week and stuff I would just do online research on Travelocity or Expedia or one of those websites.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Hotel near WDW and Universal Studios?

We had a suite in a Holiday Inn right by Universal that was huge. Two rooms; each as big as a standard room. One had beds and one had a living/dining room and full kitchen. Was about $150 in July, 2005, and about a 20 minute walk to Universal (closest hotel they don't own at the time; maybe still).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Thanks for all the help. I went cheap--and picked the Marriott Courtyard on Palm Parkway. It was only 89 a night. I'm sure it's not much, but with over 500 dollars spent on tickets for Disney and Universal and their Halloween events, there wasn't much left in the budget. Anyone have any first hand experiences at this hotel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast