• Banned User

Does the Hulk need a refurb?

This may not apply to everyone, but I can't ride the Incredible Hulk coaster anymore. This is the kind of awesome coaster I would love if it were not for one thing: it rattles your cranium. I always feel like I'm going to pass out, and I step off it with a headache, because the ride shakes you relentlessly from side to side at high speed. I just wonder how many others have had the same experience, and whether it's time for Universal to get to work on the Hulk and make it smoother. I don't want to come off the ride feeling like I went a few rounds with the big green guy himself!
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-11-2009 at 06:51 PM.

• Race Car Driver

Re: Does the Hulk need a refurb?

I am pretty sure I feel great getting off this ride. Although it has been since end of march since I have been on it.

Do you wear earings on it? I have to take mine off first!

Snacks
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

I don't ride it myself, but judging by the horrid state of its paint job, yes, it's badly in need of a refurb. In addition to the Potter construction, they've been very active around the rest of the park lately in terms of cosmetic touch-ups here and there, so hopefully Hulk will get its much needed TLC soon.... even if they can't make the ride any smoother.

• Banned User

Well until I hear that they made it smoother, I'll get my coaster kicks at Dueling Dragons instead...or whatever they are calling it after Potter opens.

• Banned User

By the way, all reports indicate that the refurbished Space Mountain will be much smoother than before. So why can't Universal do the same for the Hulk?

If Space Mountain is any smoother, it's because they made adjustments to the track, maybe even switched out parts of it. Universal obviously doesn't have that ability with the Hulk. The most they could do is fix the vehicles if they're what's causing the problem.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 11-16-2009 at 10:58 PM.

• Banned User

Maybe the vehicles are the culprit, I don't know. But why couldn't they also fix the track?

By the way, I don't think I'm overly sensitive. I have ridden plenty of steel coasters without getting the same brain jarring effects that I get on the Hulk. I spent all day on steel and wooden coasters at my local Six Flags park (La Ronde), and felt fine at the end of the day. But one ride on the Hulk, and it's a headache for at least 15-30 minutes afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Maybe the vehicles are the culprit, I don't know. But why couldn't they also fix the track?
    Because like most modern coasters, it's a third party product. It was created by B&M, who would have to make the new track pieces if any current ones somehow fall into disrepair. Getting them fabricated and installed would be a very lengthy process, especially considering how busy B&M is. Universal originally wanted them to do Rockit, but the waiting list was several years long.

The park has some techniques at their disposal for smoothing out the current coaster themselves, like sanding the rails or making changes to the vehicles, but that's about it. If the problem is more severe than that, they can't do anything. In most cases, what you see is what you get when it comes to this sort of large steel coaster. The park can only hope it ages gracefully.