Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Universal Studios Battle of Galactica!

To put it simply, "Galactica" was the last thing on the tour for the last year of so that it existed. The lower lot opened around 1991 (originally called the "Studio Center"), and you boarded the tram down there, right about where Jurrasic Park is now.
    "Galactica" would have had to have closed down about early '92 to make way for BTTF(now Simpsons)which opened in California in '93.(It debuted in Florida in '91).

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^didnt know that really wish i could see some photos from the old days at universal before Jurassic park.

Anyone else remember when you were hand selected to ride with E.T. back when they did the effects stage stuff on the tour itself?? This was back when they selected people to do the space walk like in 2001 and then E.T.
    kingdom hearts <3er

In the early 80's I was pulled off the stage to 'fly' alah superman in the chomakey stage

• Infinitized!

That brings back memories. I remember going thru Battlestar Galactica in '85, and I remember the A-Team van you could lift and if I recall there was a giant phone or something beside it. They should bring back the A-Team van this summer with the movie coming out!

Anybody remember the Conan the Barbarian show on the upper lot?

OH, I had forgotten about the large phone, though when I was there it was in the courtyard jut below the lifting van (not yet an A Team van, nor part of a Bioinc training center) under a large overhang

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ok I'm going to go all anal retentive here. That part of the tram tour was called "Battle of Galactica", not "Battlestar Galactia". I remember seeing it in 1985 and again in 1989 (my only two visits to California... so far). I found the pics we took in 1985. They're dark and not that great, but they jogged some good memories of that scene.

And I remember lifting the A-Team van too during the '85 trip. I was only 10 at the time, but I had that thing lifted almost 5 inches off the ground. I think I still have a photo of it somewhere. And yeah I believe there was some sort of hydraulics system that made the van easy to lift.

Loved that ice tunnel. Really made you think you were spinning in circles for just a brief moment.

I remember the collapsing bridge scared the ever-living sh*t out of me though. I screamed like a freaking banshee when the collapsing part happened (I have a huge fear of falling... yet I love Tower of Terror... go figure that one out). I really thought the bridge was collapsing and we were all going to die. Hey I was 10... I was young and stupid.

Anybody remember the Conan the Barbarian show on the upper lot?
    I do! I have a pic with one of the guys from the show. I didn't see the show itself, but we saw a couple of the guys from it taking a break (they were getting food or drinks from the nearby counter service place... I know bad show, but shoot, it was Universal in 1985, what did you expect?). Well, some kids went up asking for photos and one of the guys kind of brushed everyone off, but the other guy was really nice and said no problem.

The giant telephone was one of the props they used for the movie "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" with Lily Tomlin and Charles Grodin. You could climb all over that thing.

The lifting van, which was originally white and later painted to match the A-Team van, had hydraulics that helped but it was also a shell of a vehicle; it had no engine or any other parts inside.

The "bionic" special effects show was one of three going on at the time, if I remember correctly, the same way they do now (practical effects, camera effects, and make-up [now sound]). One of the other special effects shows had to do with the movie Airport '77. People were picked to be the screaming passengers as the plane crashed and one lucky (?) guest got to play the passenger who jumped out of the plane into...a tank of water.

Another show then had to do with how they did prosthetics and make-up. It's main feature was showing frame-by-frame shots of how they turned Boris Karloff into Frankenstein and Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno into "The Incredible Hulk," one of the other hit shows of the time. Then they would pick some kids from the audience and do the same to them.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I didn't see the show itself, but we saw a couple of the guys from it taking a break (they were getting food or drinks from the nearby counter service place... I know bad show, but shoot, it was Universal in 1985, what did you expect?). Well, some kids went up asking for photos and one of the guys kind of brushed everyone off, but the other guy was really nice and said no problem.
    Funny, I wouldn't see that as bad show. The theme of Universal is that it is a movie studio so I would expect to see "actors" standing in line to get food.

The Airport 77 re-enactment was pretty cool, they would have people on the sound stage recite some lines and respond to the host of the show, and then we the audience would see the segments edited into a scene from the film. The same premise was later re-themed to Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Funny, I wouldn't see that as bad show. The theme of Universal is that it is a movie studio so I would expect to see "actors" standing in line to get food.
    Yeah I guess that's a good point. I should scan in these photos sometime.

That would be cool!!!

I'll see what I can do this weekend. I remember laughing my tail off when I found those pics. I looked like such a dork at 10.

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    The Airport 77 re-enactment was pretty cool, they would have people on the sound stage recite some lines and respond to the host of the show, and then we the audience would see the segments edited into a scene from the film. The same premise was later re-themed to Star Trek
    My step-dad got chosen to bein the show one time we were there...they made him a Klingon!
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

I guess I must be old. I remember being chosen for the old Adam-12 stage show where they had you act out scenes from the tv show then play it back with the show soundtrack. It was pretty hilarious to see a little kid driving a cop car and sounding like he was actually talking to Martin Milner. Also, there was a far better show in the castle before Conan the Barbarian and that was....Dracula!! Way better with the Count and all the other Universal monsters.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast